Still Giddy!

I am still giddy over the Forte speakers I bought last week! They sound so unbelievably good with my tube amp. Low level listening everything is there. They are balanced and sound sweet. Loud levels, THEY ROCK! They truly were the inspiration of the Maxxcel blown away add! I was shopping in the local thrift store for vinyl just to see what they had and found a record that I had never heard of (and wont recommend to anyone!) but it was only a buck so what the heck? Well, it turned out to be cRAP! You know the stuff that the local punks car can be heard 2 miles away when he plays it? The bass from the speakers was UNBELEAVEIBLE! It shook you to your toes! And that at a moderate level of playback! I have listened to Classical, Classic Rock, Jazz, Pop, Piano, Synthesized, and organ music since I bought these speakers and it all sounds great! My room is only about 10 x 12 and of that my listening space is much smaller. I sit only about 3 (1 meter) from the speakers due to the room layout and while I know that a larger room properly laid out would yield better sound (I cant imagine that!) I am blown away at how much better these speakers sound over the JBL 4312s I had before!

I think I am DONE with speakers and amp, now for the rest!

9.gif9.gif9.gif

The Fortes are great compact packages of clean sonic power. So much driver and radiation surface jammed into those boxes. About as close as you can come to a point source with two horns and a 12" woofer. I traded mine for Chorus-IIs, but still miss the Fortes.

Leo

----------------

On 3/25/2004 8:59:21 AM mdeneen wrote:

"...Home brew tube pre-amp.."

What exactly is this?

mdeneen

----------------

That is about as good of a description as I can give. I picked it up at a garage sale a few years ago. It used to be a Dynaco preamp but it was stripped down to the bare circuit boards and rebuilt into something different. It uses 2 12ax7s in the phono stage and 2 6dj8s in the line stage. The power supply was removed from the case and resides in the center of the power cord It has inputs for phono, aux, tape and source. There are 4 small transformers mounted on the back outside the chassis, possibly chokes? 2 stepped attenuators replace volume and balance controls. It has had a rack mount face grafted on, painted black and has gold stick on lettering. It was named zetta 1 by the maker. So, what it is, is a mystery! It has clean sound with high gain (I can only turn it up 1/3 of the way before I can't take the volume (watching on a o scope for clipping, none noted) only a little 60 hummmmmmm in the phono section. For now it will work, though I am looking hard at other preamps. I need an amp with a phono section. I have been looking at the mapletree Octal 6

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/madoctal6_e.html

just because I like the way the tubes look over miniatures. I am also looking at the Sonic Frontiers Line 1 but neither of these amps have phono sections so that would be added ASAP. I am open to ideas for a preamp under $1000 (new or used) that would blend in with the neutral Sonics of the Power 1

----------------

I am open to ideas for a preamp under $1000 (new or used) that would blend in with the neutral Sonics of the Power 1

----------------

Check Audiogon for the VTL Ultimate. It comes highly recommended and a good deal for about a grand (used). MM and MC phono with separate dual power supply. There was one for sale there just the other day.

cab - I, too, have a small listening area, and thoroughly enjoyed my Forte's in it. Then I sold them to a local guy, and went over to his house to hear them connected to his rig. He had them pulled way out into a large room, easily 6 feet from any walls, and the entire house rocked like I've never heard before. Bass up the wazoo (er, in a good way, I guess). Clean, clear mids and highs. Was wunnerful!