Interconnects

ssh

I usually stay away from posting in IC threads because of all the naysayers but....

Given DaddyDee's comments about the Grover wires I had to try it out and he's right. I've been using the Grovers for six months, maybe longer and in that time I did a bunch of changes to my system. All of them with the same results, less bass than I was expecting out my Forte's. I never thought to blame the IC's.

Tonight I put in the DCC version of the Cars greatest hits which has pretty good bass. Added a pair of AQ Corals, that I had laying around, between the pre and amp (because that's where the signal is the lowest hence more prone to outside interference). Played the first song and said, "huh". Put the Grover's back in to listen to the first track again, then back to the AQ's.

My summary, the Grover's have a sweeter more detailed midrange. The AQ actually sounded like they sucked out some of the midrange. I don't think the bass was much different, but definately more lacking in midrange detail. If you are using tubes it may be too much mid's which makes it seem like less bass.

Could that be what you are hearing Dee?

As for the naysayers, let the flames begin because I won't respond to you. You can use any math to prove me wrong and I don't care because I know what I heard. Heck, you can use the same science to prove that Nyquist's theorem is infallible therefore CD's are perfect, but you won't believe that. So why so adamant that IC's don't make any difference?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strabo,

My observation with Grover's IC's has been less bass than optimal. With the Grover's Silver IC's I have been astounded to hear (understand) some lyrics I hadn't been able to make out before. The silvers are head and shoulders above Grover's basic IC's, the name of which suffers with my amnesia.

With the 2A3 setup, I've got Grover's silvers between the AH! CD and Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp... then Tributaries Delta between the preamp and 2A3's. Not a perm arrangement, but it does sound about right w/o too much loss of bass. Don't know if that's the result of a synergistic effect of this particular collection of gear or not. I should do some more comparisons, and reference listening, but most days that seems too much like work. I really just like to listen in ignorant bliss.

Today I've been working in the carport and set up my Scott 222-D, Ah! and Heresy's. Connected the cD and Scott with Grover's Silver IC's and this is a killer combination. Sounds fabulous. With the 222-D I didn't hear anything less than pleasing. Bass sounded good along with the rest of the sound spectrum.

No conclusions here, just observations.

I will add that Grover Huffman is a regular gentleman with whom to do business. I am pleased to recommend him without reservation... and I get no commision, squat, or nothing if you should buy from him.

Tom got me thinking again...

As far as wires seemingly effecting the transmission of frequencies, I think that that is possibly quite true. I think what is actually effected is the amount of current available at the motor coil which can either be more or less than an even distribution across the frequency spectrum (presuming a evenly distributed source signal).

The absorbtion of current in a wire conductor would be from 1 of 3 factors, resistance, inductance and capacitance (which is typically so low that it can be ignored). The factor of resistance to the flow of electrons can be caused by several different properties, such as the metalurgy involved, the diameter, the "winding" style and type, the length of run, the insulator used, etc. Whereas the resistance is the most important, all current flow through a conductor causes a certain amount of inductance. Both of these can cause a non-equal distribution of current conducted when modulated by an alternating amplitude signal. Certain amplitudinal points of either positive or negative phases of the signal can result in an increase or decrease of resistance and/or inductance of the conductor depending on the physical properties of the conductor involved.

The end result and the one that we hear is the amount of available current at the motor coil. If there has been some power dissipation due to any of the above stated factors in the conductor, the differences in the reproduced signal would appear to be frequency specific to our ears from a good set of reference quality speakers.

In addition, the level of current applied to the conductor could also cause a variance of perceived performance. To further complicate things, there is possibly an optimal current level for any given conductor and signal frequency.

This of course is just conjecture based on a smattering of physics.

DM2.gif

I still use a C-1 pre-amp, although she is about shot. The sonic holography doo-hickey certainly makes the music sound much more like live music than without. Soundstage is fantasic, each instrument is well seperated. The mid range isn't so forward. Big drawback is the "sweet-spot", which is tiny. I'll probably try to find another 5.1 capable Carver pre-amp (WITH A REMOTE!) when this one dies.

----------------

Heck yeah! Bob's Sonic Holography system with two pairs of towers sounded better than any ProLogic crapola. I've got a buddy who still has a Carver integrated receiver/amp with that circuit. He uses a 400x2 Carver power amp to drive the fronts, and the 150x2 on the receiver to drive the rears.

----------------