"Speaker Lab Khorns"

Juba310

Speakerlabs was a Klipsch licensee who sold kits to build Khorn copies. They had theie own mid horn and X-over network using L-pads.

Since they were kits, the build quality is not as consistantly good as a Klipschorn. Some say that their fierglass horn was an improvement over the metal of Klipsch's K-400 but PWK did not agree. In "Dope From Hope" he ripped the SL's performance as compared to the real deal in his test chamber although not mentioning it by name.

Rick

Speakerlab was NOT a Klipsch Licensee, they never licensed ANYTHING they sold. They also sold completed cabinets of both the K-horn and the LaScala. When I worked there, we tore apart some of the k-horns and LaScalas that Speakerlab built. The construction was shoddy, at best. As for the kits, the construction quality depended upon the builder. Most speakerlab knock-offs are not built from kits, just built from plans they offered for sale. The speakerlab mid horn lens was tested by us back then and did not test out as well as the K-400 did. The seller of these is misinformed about many things! PWK would have considered him a prime candidate for receipt of a little yellow button!

These speakers are badly misrepresented, the seller is grossly misinformed. They are somewhat fradulent, including the Klipsch badges.

As a Speakelab K-horn builder and owner I would point out the following:

The tweeter is Speakerlabs own "constant-directivity" horn. I started out with these and found the response is optimized for to low a frequency and they have a downward spl slope as frequency goes up. They are no were near the K77 tweeter.

The midrange horn drive is not the Altas that Klipsch used. I am not sure what it is but be advised that most midrange drivers are not designed to go down to the 400hz crossover point that the khorn requires.

The crossovers are Speakerlabs. I tried many attempts at using Speakerlabs crossover variations over the years. I concluded that Speakerlab never got close to a workable design.

These speakers could be used as the starting point for a good set of horns. You can purchase t35 horns on Ebay for about $50.00. Using the tweeter magnet and diaphram you would end up with a pair of k77's. The Alas midrange drivers can still be found for under $100.00 apiece. ALK crossover's can be purchased or built.

I would bid with these "upgrade" costs in mind.