looking for a sub to complemnet my RSX-4 set up

Question, if I got the tame svs, namely the PB1-IDS, would it still render my SWS and Ultra useless? I dont want to replace them, I would rather be able to use all 3 subs each adding the overall output. the SWS and ultra is about a 270 (rms) watt sub with three 8inch drivers more or less.

Hey I have a question for you guys. I am also in the same situation as 007 for a future subwoofer. I presently own a def tech pf15tl+ and going to sell it on ebay. This sub just cant keep up with my RF-3's and the bass sounds muddy and boomy. After I sell this subwoofer I am looking to upgrade either to the Klipsch RW-12 or the SVS PB1-IDS. I am NOT concerned on how loud or low the sub can play well I am sort of, I am more interested in how tight clean and punchy it is with music. I also want it to have a presence for home theater also. Now aren't Klipsch subs the most musical and clean with music?? Please help guys thanks.

Joe

You say you dont care about how loud or low it plays, yet you want it to have a presence in hometheater? You're almost contradicting yourself there. If I were you, I'd go audition the RW-12. If you fall in love with it, get it. If you find it lacking, buy the SVS. Then if you're not satisfied with the SVS, just send it back for a refund. I think either would do a fine job, however the SVS might be able to help out with HT a bit more.

So do subwoofers also have upfront quick slam just like floorstanding speakers do? And since klipsch speakers have more slam than any other speaker brand do their subwoofers also have that more upfront slam than other speaker brands? My guess is I would think so because the klipsch subwoofer has to keep up with the klipsch mains.

i dont understand why you are concerned if the svs outdoes your sws.... i dont think that u are stopping at the promedias or the rsx anyway. by the looks of it, you will most likely have your own klipsch TRUE ht set soon enough anyway. u want a good subwoofer or a great one?

why settle for less? if the svs will render the sws AND ultra sub useless, then so be it... i dont see why the sws and the ultra should dictate the limits u place on your next sub.

my opinion, get rid of the sws and spend the extra cash on the svs... and get rid of the ultra 5.1 altogether - get a receiver to power the rsx4s... then get some rsx5s... and dont forget the svs.

looks to me like ur ready to graduate from peecee speakers anyway.

a couple of quick notes:

FIRST-you can have TOO MUCH sub when you are talking about pairing it w/SMALL speakers.what i mean is the sub MUST be able to play HIGH enough frequencies so as not to have a 'hole' in your low-end bass where the rsx's stop making bass vs. where your sub stops making upper bass frequencies.

secondly,the rsx-5 setup i have in the showroom has worked well with:RSW-10/RSW-12 and RW-12.

my suggestion,since we are talking about the smaller rsx-4's is get the RW-12,or another sub that will be happy playing both high(100Hz or so) AND low bass.

avman.

ive never heard the rsx, but no way can it sound fuller than the rb3s... i say, 007, go for bigger bookshelfs - to prevent the sub overpowering the speaks.

when i used to have my promedias... my god, the infinity entratwo 12" OVERPOWERED them like a little girl. now, with bigger axiom speakers (m22) - they blend in perfectly... just waiting for my SVS to arrive tomorrow to replace the infinity.

007, an important thing to keep in mind is: make sure the sub is able to blend in with your speakers. whether it is the rw-12 or the svs.. i dont know. i havent heard the rsx.