Bringing back fond memories with Klipsch

----------------

On 4/1/2004 8:29:20 PM Rivervalleymgb wrote:

Actually Lucas is a lot more reliable then their reputation. Most problems end up being caused by ... Wait a minute, in the late 70's I drove a B that would quit for no reason because of a faulty electronic ignition. Quit one day at Markham & University at precisely noon. Caused quite a traffic jam, until my girlfriend and I pushed it into Bennigan's parking lot!
----------------

Oh geesh - great memories pop up. My 71 TR6 died at University and Cantrell in LR in 1974 (broken wire to distributor cap - twisted together with chewing gum as insulation to get me going) - pushed it to the parking lot behind a head shop on Kavanaugh (a decent destination after all). The dual carbs were easy to set after several years (you had to keep oil in the trunk for the carbs) - and yes they had to be set either after 1,000 miles (if you were lucky) or a rain (cold snap, warm spell, etc.). Still loved that car...

I can hear the youngsters now - "Dad, What's a Head Shop?"

I have come to love SU's! They are extremely simple and really easy to set up (once you get the hang of it)! You really ned to tear a set down and rebuild them to understand exactly how they work. I have a type of air flow meter that allows you to precisely set the air flow for each carb, and a set of tools that allow you to see just how much each piston moves so you can set them equal also, and a colortune to let you actually see the color of the ignition inside the cylinder so you can set the fuel mixture just right.

See, really simple!!!!

The Lucas "Prince of Darkness" electrical system had a well earned reputation.

I had a headlight switch stop functioning. The tang for the electical connector was brass and was riveted to another piece of brass going into the switch. Somehow the riveted connection was a perfect insulator. Just astounding. Room temperature super-insulation of metals years before super-conductivity.

I took it apart and soldered it.

A buddy bought an old Spitfire. It problem was that the bell of the SU had ding on the outside, which also deformed the inside. This prevented the piston from rising. Running on two cylinders, it sounded like a lawnmower engine.

I put some toothpaste in the works as an abrasive and ground out the ding using the piston. BIG improvement. The guy drove it though New York winters with him and his girlfriend dressed as needed for the rag top and small heater.

It eventually broke down on the West Side Highway. Nowhere to pull off. He was walking way to find a phone when someone in a big Buick piled into the back. It folded at the scupper (just under the seats).

The result was that the back of the passenger compartment was up against the steering wheel. He'd have been dead. The only funny part was that all four wheels were off the ground.

He eventually bought a TR-7 which was eaten away by the salt in Boston. The electrically driven, rising headlights were an early casuality.

Lucas and British Leyland apparently never got the hang of the amount of salt on U.S. roads in the winter. The electicals and heaters were set up for a pleasant autumn in London.

Gil

You are right about the heat!!!

I have a GT that I plan on adding a street rod Heat and A/C unit into.

Now if I could just find out how to add the right speaker set up. Tried some USB horns but they just wouldn't fit. Don't know hat I am going to do yet, but I plan on doing a lot of experimenting!

British Wiring in Chicago makes exact reproduction wiring harnesses that are correctly color coded, untouched by American mechanics that hated those dam color stripes and whatnot. I had an MGB GT that ran a little rich, and would stay running for over a minute when turned off. Replaced the radiator, windshield wiper motor, gas tank, brakes all round, head, two pistons, fuel pump, rebuilt the SUs, three wheel bearings, and a few other parts. The monster would not die, and I put over 75,000 miles on it the first year I had it(fifth owner.) I still drool over MGAs.

Lucas was a prime contractor on the British Spits and other jets well into the fifties, so they were quality in other fields.

River,

Are you talking MGB-GT. In college I was taking a very close look at some. Rag tops impressed me a not a good thing. The GT had the hard top and an hatch back.

Walking down the steet I came across a Volvo 1800S being sold by a grad student. It made sense. That was the college car. So no GT for me.

Very nice. The Sweeds knew about heat.

This one had a B-20 engine instead of a normal B-18. Seems the grad student bought it from a dealer, the engine blew, they put in a B-20. But in buying parts, this hybrid created some problems at the parts department. I need an X for an 1800S, but it has a B-20 engine.

Nope kid, you're wrong, ain't no such thing. It took a trip to the parking lot to prove it.

It is noteworthy that the most advanced roadster of those distant times, the Lotus Elan, eventually was reincarnated as the Mazda Miata (sans Lucas). There is something to say that rag top British sports cars live on in this form.

Gil

My 51 MG has no heater whatsoever... but on those hot summer days, that thin firewall/floor lets in way too much heat on its own !! But spring and fall are out of the question here in Canada.

Perhaps Im not experienced enough... but the twin SUs are a pain in the a$$! ... as well as the electrical, brakes, etc... 2.gif but is a good pass time.

Rob

I actually have a Buick 215 and have driven one of the best converter's (Glenn Towery)GT with a Rover 3.5l (same as the 215). The 3.4 doesn't have as much low end torque, but does produce more horsepower than the 215, and will out perform most of them. My next conversion will be into a GT with the Ford 5.0 V-8

The Costello EFI v8 will surpass Towery's efforts, or you can get one built at most any speed shop that will dyno out at over 260 bhp. The Costello six speed with a limited slip Quaiffe differential will get your B down the road like a striped *** ape, especially powered with Klipsch2.gif

Towery doesn't operate in the same league as Twist, but he does get some grunt in. I just don't like his quality of work.

No doubt about Costello's work. Towery doesn't do much engine work anyway. I drove his Dad's GT when he came by my house to pick up a Buick 300 I had in the garage. I think he was wanting to build a stroker and needed the heads and crank.

I have been to John's shop several times. I used to fly in and out of Grand Rapids quite regularly and went by as often as I could.

One thought I have had would be to put in a Cadillac Northstar in a B. Light and plenty of get up and go. Having done one FWD to RWD engine conversion, the Northstar may end up being my next project.

Of course, I have to get my new house built first!