need help picking a subwoofer...

Sanman023

hello all...i find myself always upgrading....my current setup is rf7, rc7, 2 pairs of rs3II...and i use to have a rsw12 but returned it last night....im looking for something bigger...ive listened to the rsw15 and it sounds really nice but after reading all this hype about svs pb2plus...im starting to wonder....i dont know what it sounds like..please help....my budget is $1500...thanks in advance....

You're in California, so I can't give you a demo unless you'd like to take a little plane trip :)

But I demo'd velodyne, klipsch (especially the RSW15), sunfire and several others on the market, but I went on faith and bought the PB2+. I can tell you now that I think it's silly that I even thought of buying the rest of these for my application. I wanted quality, tight sound that dug really low and had lots of output.

The PB2+ lays waste to the rest of these. It's no comparison whatsoever. But it's not really a fair comparison anyway. Larger enclosure, 2 powered drivers, more power, etc. And all for less money than any of the rest.

You'll see what I mean. I had no idea bass like this even existed. While testing it, I walked to the end of my driveway near the street and I could feel the solid concrete shake up and down. It must've felt like an earthquake in the house at that point.

I love klipsch as you can see, but there's no comparison.

p.s. I hope I don't offend anybody. There's no ego involved. It's just a side by side fact.

Actually one of its biggest drawbacks is its size... but theyve gone the form follows function route. Many of the retail subs mentioned above do trade some of their performance/price ratio for their smaller size and therefore better WAF. Mock one up in your room to get a feel for its volume as the numbers (Size: 18" wide, 25" tall and 28" deep. Weight: 120 pounds) dont sound that bad on paper... but....

My DIY sub is approximately the same size... and its ok by me. 2.gif

Rob

That's quite true. It's the size of an end table, but that can be a good thing for those looking to use it as such (double duty). Despite it's size mine fits in a little corner quite nicely and when viewed from the listening positions it's barely visible. Take a look.

post-13941-13819253709124_thumb.jpg

do yourself a favor and demo a Paradigm powered sub. I compared both Klipsch and paradigm "side by side" and you'll get a bigger bang for your buck with the paradigm. Not sure what you need but I"m only running there PS-1200 and it does a superb job and my room is 18x24 ,with vaulted ceilings. I do thnik that when I get soem extra cash together I will move up to the servo series , which will absolutely "blow you away" Klipsch can't even come close to this sub........

CAS,

Stop being such an SVS salesman,or I will call the Klipsch Po Lice on you and you will spend 24Hrs behind Klipsch barrs.

The review linked may look good to many,however its LACKING.Its opinions on opinions,worthless.Any credible subwoofer review needs NUMBERS,THD/freq and SPL.

Any wannabe reviewer can say its LOUD and shakes his paper shack walls.This is no real indication of power.Numbers speak louder than some opinions.

Anyway,as soon as I am gonne for a few days I see people lost in the subwoofer forum!6.gif

so what do you think...ear and the rest of the forum......i know i should let myself be the judge on what i like....but its hard to find someone in sacramento for a demo on the pb2+....should i just be happy and go get the rsw15....any other suggestions...i do love the cherry veneer to match the rf and rc 7....

For one the RSW15 is a great performer,the only thing it does not do too well is have massive output below 25hz.All else is very good.

A PB2-Plus will have a strong showing all the way down to below 20Hz!

Both are quality products,with proven performance.

Ear:

Is Klipsch jail maximum security or do they have loopholes I might find to escape?

I wish I could stop being such an svs salesman...but I've just never seen anything since for as much bang for the buck.

Although I never said it's a quantitative statistical review of performance values, it does come from a person with lots of experience with subs.

If you think the RSW-15 is a value compared to the PB2+ then you couldn't have tested them side by side. More output, lower end, cheaper price. But if woodgrain is an important factor then the RSW-15 is a viable option.

• 2 weeks later...

----------------

On 3/31/2004 3:08:56 PM Sanman023 wrote:

hello all...i find myself always upgrading....my current setup is rf7, rc7, 2 pairs of rs3II...and i use to have a rsw12 but returned it last night....im looking for something bigger...ive listened to the rsw15 and it sounds really nice but after reading all this hype about svs pb2plus...im starting to wonder....i dont know what it sounds like..please help....my budget is $1500...thanks in advance....

----------------

I've had an SV PC Ultra with RF-7s in a 18x22 room for two months and it's

everything I could ask for. It blends seamlessly with the RF-7s with music,

and it pounds my chest and rattles the foundation with movies. If your room

isn't any larger you can't go wrong.

RF-7 Fronts RF-7 Surrounds

RC-7 Center RS-7 Rear Surrounds

SVS PC-Ultra Subwoofer

Denon DVD 5900 Universal disc player

Outlaw 950 Pre/Pro Outlaw 7100 Amp

Rane DEQ-60 Graphic EQ on fronts

Rane ME-60 Graphic EQ on surrounds