Need Help with questionable TV Repair Guy

Groovie

I posted an issue with my Toshiba 34" widescreen HDTV a few months back. When running the THX optimizer, from a THX dvd, I noticed an issue with a concave image on both the left and right verticle sides of the box and circle image dispayed. I also notice now in movies where walls and doors appear to have a curve to them. The tv is under warrenty with HIFi Buys, a Tweeter company. The first tech looked at it and said the tube may need replaced, but he would need help working with the 275lb tv. Another appointment was set and the next guy said it was just out of alignment and an easy fix. He said he could fix it, but to expect some curviture that it would never be straight. Is that accurate? It appears worse to me now. The entire image has shifted left so that some of the box is now off screen and the concave curviture still looks the same. There is an 8th to a quarter inch bend in the picture the edges of the screen. Sorry for the lengthy explanation, but should it be straight, or should I expect some curviture in a 34" flat tube widescreen hdtv? Is this an easy fix or is it a serious issue? Your thoughts and opinions or suggestions on where to find an answer are greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't accept that. You spent good money on the TV and purchased a warranty (I remember your previous post). Call them back, and if they won't do anything, call Toshiba directly. I wouldn't stop until I was satisfied.

As for your TV being 275 lbs., I think that is a bit of an exaggeration. Just for kicks, I went to Toshiba's website. The Current version of the 34" Widescreen weighs 162 lbs., a far cry from 275.

I have a toshiba tv and it has been good to me for along time. I put it through the thx optimizer test and had no bends and it isn't even flat close but not. I had a problem with a line on the top awhile back and my tv repair man adjusted the horizontal or vertical. It was in the tv. He had to tear it apart. I know this didn't help you but i am telling you toshiba seems to be pretty reliable. I would look into what Todd said. By the way my tv is eleven years old and looks better than some of the newer ones. Probally because of the thx optimizer. One thing is i am very lucky to have an honest tv repair man.

So it sounds like the lines should be straight, I'll call them again tomorrow, this will be the third time I'll have them out, quite a pain in the rear for the wife to have to keep meeting this guy, hopefully I can make it next time! The WAF is escalating to meltdown levels with her having to deal at all with this issue, she complains as it is and I had to settle for ceiling speakers for surrounds! (They still sound great!)

I lived next door to a TV repairman that told me a story about the preachers wife calling him to come work on her TV. When he got there, she was wearing a nighty and told him the TV that needed work was in the back of the house. He followed her back and took a look at the TV and next thing he knew, she was in the middle of the bed and had misplaced the nighty. He said he adjusted a bunch of knobs and such and still got paid for fixin the TV. At least preachers wives don't expect their TV's to be repaired for nothing.

oh boy

I have a 36hf73 toshiba not widescreen. I noticed that the leftside top and bottom had a very noticable curve to it, bent up at the top left of screen and bent down on the right side. The top left curve was the most noticable. The right side a slight curve to it but not as much. It was most noticable in widescreen mode. You could see the top left line of the image bend up and the bottom down. I eventually returned it, same thing on replacement but not as much. Toshiba said that a slight curve is normal(although my 32hf72 never did that). I will eventually get a repair guy out to look, but I think it is the nature of these tvs. Not real happy about it, I dont think my next tv will be a toshiba! Has great pic, but real unhappy with that curve. I bought it from a local applaince store that doesnt like to take return(makes me wish I went to like bb or something like that with a no question return policy). This place makes you get a repair guy first, and then it is still a hassle to return it7.gif