PJ on the way, now what?

Ou8thisSN

okay, so now I guess I have a lot of work to do to ready the room, all you guys who do all the stuff to your respective theaters, that you say you do by yourself, how did you learn to do all that stuff? Did you take classes, or read specific books?

I dont want to have an all out theater, but I would like to install like 5 or 6 recessed lights in the ceiling, and connect it to a dimmer. For someone who knows nothing about electrical wiring, or doing DIY projects, can I successfully do this without hiring someone?

here is my background:

I was successfully able to mount our plasma tv to the wall, and put a conduit in the wall to run wires. Although the conduit was installed by me befoer they put up the dry wall. So I know a little bit about drilling and studs and stuff.

I put up all the curtains and curtain rods throughout our house.

I put together 2 garage door openers by following the instructions. I would have mounted it, but the ceiling was like 17 feet high and i am scared of heights. But i put it togehter, and the guy who installed it said i did a fine job.

I installed like 3 ceiling fans to pre wired outlets.

based on this, can you tell me, without laughing, if i can, with time and patience, be able to affix like 6 can lights, and put in a wall dimmer switch?

based on my experience (electrician) the previous statement is bad advice, there are too many ways to cause harm either to yourself or your house or connected devices. i have fixed far too many do it yourself electrical installations, plus if something goes awry, and the insurance company has to step in, you would find yourself out in the cold. i am not saying it cant be done, but go and get some training, advice, at the minimum, have the installation you propose looked over, however briefly so in this manner you know if your even have adequate wiring in that part of your house, good luck12.gif

Marksdad is, of course, correct. You CAN do it, but you'll have to learn. Do you have access to an attic above the ceiling, or is there a floor above? This will determine what kinds of fixtures you can use. If there is a crawlable attic, you'll have less of a chance of having to cut access holes (like, to be able to drill through blocks and joists), but if the space is tight, and filled with insulation, it won't be fun.

Maybe you can get an electrician to give you an estimate, and maybe do part of the job for you (like finding available power on an appropriate circuit), or allow you to work with him (altough this will most likely cost MORE than if you just leave him alone to do it all...2.gif ).

I concur with marksdad and Fini. As a licensed General Contractor, I know altering an existing structure can be tedious even for a pro. Plus technically, any time a structure is altered a permit is required and you have to know building codes to comply.

Structures burn down all the time from faulty wiring!

I suggest you hire a pro (wont be cheap) for any structural changes. Perhaps you can gain experience by watching closely or helping.

Hope this didnt come across as negative, just trying to prevent potential harm.

okay, so someone suggested this.

The room is 20 x 20. There is a pre-made fan/light outlet in the middle of the room. It is not being used. There are 3 switches on the wall, a fan toggle switch, a light toggle switch, and another switch that controls one electrical outlet in the room. There is another electrical outlet in the ceiling for the Pj.

Like I said, i wanted to run 6 recessed can lights and 1 dimmer.

Someone suggested that if I am not going to use the fan outlet with a fan, that i should use those wires that feed into it to connect to each of the recessed can lights, and then just replace whatever swich controlled the fan with the dimmer, and i should be set to go.

I was very excited at this idea, because then I wouldnt have to track down new wire somewhere to run for the lights, i could just add onto the fan wires. And also I wouldnt have to destroy the drywall to install a new swich, i could simply replace the fan switch.

Is this too good to be true? can i actually do this with no problems?

whatever if the electricial wants more than like $10 to inspect my wiring or point out how it will be done, i aint doin' it. I want to do this whole thing for like $50-60 max. If i have to go over that, i'm just gonna stick a regular light in that room. I dont need the "coolness" factor. logic suggests that it would be okay, consdiering on all the other fan outlets i put like a fan with 4, 60 watt bulbs. so thats like 240 watts of juice from one light switch. I dont want anything nearly that bright, just a little bit of lighting, probably like 80 watts total or something. i am sure i could probably get away with that without having the house/fuses blow up. I am not even sure i need 6 lights, i could just do 3. 1 on 3 walls...

I have a suggestion for you. How about track lighting? You wouldn't have to run any in-wall wiring, and it would be as straight-forward as a fan install. Just run it off the existing outlet. You see, it's when you start running the wires behind the sheetrock (as opposed to just swapping fixtures) that we builders get a little nervous about suggesting a DIYer go for it unaided.

Side note: Often, dimmers introduce humming or buzzing into your audio system. Be prepared for the possibility you'll have to relocate your gear, or eliminate the dimmer.

Side note.2: You have PJs that plug in? Cool! Must keep you toasty.

----------------

On 4/6/2004 5:42:33 PM Ou8thisSN wrote:

damnit, this is too much work. Forget the whole thing

----------------

For you, or the people trying to help you?

Electricity is no joke. Wiring up a new light or outlet is one thing (even though many people screw these up all of the time). Installing new cans into a room is another. There is a reason why there are licensed professionals that handle this kind of work and, further, why they "cost so much". There is a lot of training involved, not to mention liability insurance, etc., etc. When I bought my house 2 years ago, one of the first things I did was check the outlets, etc. I would say that about 1/3 of the outlets were wired improperly in one way or another. I also had 4 lights that were not properly wired up, one of which was a bathroom light fixture that would actually shock you when on. I'm surprised the place never burned down.

Do yourself a favor and leave this one up to the professionals.

Heres another example: A couple of months ago I was replacing a HID light on a photocell, on the outside of a warehouse. There was a switch for this light on the inside of the warehouse and I turned it off. So Im up about 16 feet on an extension ladder and assumed (thats spelled ASSuMEd) the light was disconnected and I didnt put a meter on to test it. So after I opened the thing up and disconnected the hot wire, it started to arc against the metal building until it melted itself free.

Being electrocuted was the least of my worries, falling was what I feared most. Actually its not the fall thats lethal; its the sudden stop!

What happened was, the switch was on the neutral, not the hot. The reason the breaker didnt open is because someone put a 40 amp breaker on a #12 wire (still should have opened with a dead short) and the breaker was altered to fit an incompatible panel and it failed. The 40 amp breaker on a #12 wire should have clued me in beforehand that things might not be right, but the breakers were labeled wrong, so I wasnt even looking at the 40 Amp.

Thats a triple whammy.

YIKES!

fine, stop scaring me. I wont even attempt it. I figured it wouldnt be so hard, but I am not willing to pay an electrician like 200-300 for something like that. We still have to get speakers, a screen, a reciever, furtinture, and possibly another dvd player. So, if I cant read some book on electricity and do it all myself, its not gonna get done. Thanks a lot for all the info and advice