Best way to record radio?

kev313

Anyone still record there favorite shows on the radio? Is a quality cassette recorder the best option, or are there better solutions?

It's been QUITE a while since I've thought about this problem - but there are quite a few good radio shows in Chicago I would like to record.

Any thoughts??

You might think about a VCR. Most all of them are using f.m. with a second pair of heads (hence "HiFi) rather than the regular old audio stipe.

This means you can get a lot of time captured. Do some experimentation. I found the very slowest recording speed had some drop outs. The medium speed is fine.

Someone pointed out that VCR tape is most likely to have dropouts in the first two minutes. This is supposedly because the tape is hard up against the take up reel. Later, the initial layers of tape protect the following layers.

Note that you can program the VCR to start at a given time. Therefore you don't have to be home.

I did this with a Prarie Home Companion. I set up everything and then went to be part of the audience. I've thought about doing it for Chuck Shaden's "Those

Were the Days" now of WDCB. It runs for four hours. There are similar time issues with some NPR programs.

The downside is that VCR tape is bulky compaired to just about anything else. But you've probably got all the necessary equipment on hand.

Gil

How about a MDLP Minidisc?

I got this off www.minidisco.com regarding the MDLP Minidisc:

"MiniDisc Long Play. It's a new MiniDisc compression technology that allows significantly more audio recording time on a MiniDisc than previously possible. MDLP-capable recorders can now fit up to over 5 hours of music on a single MiniDisc!

The encoding method offers two modes: LP2 and LP4. LP2 will record twice as much audio (i.e. 148 minutes on a 74 minute disc and 160 minutes on an 80 minute disc); LP4 will record four times as much audio (i.e. 296 minutes on a 74 minute disc 320 minutes on an 80 minute disc."

Just a thought.

VCR, MiniDisks.....yes, both are an option, but having used my VCR for a few years, the drop out rate became really annoying. I didn't care for the sound of those MiniDisks (not even in standard mode), so eventually I got myself the Yamaha CD recorder mentioned in my signature. Not only do recordings sound good, it also boast a hard disc which can store up to 20 hours (the more recent model even allows for 30h). For me the question of recording device has been solved 1.gif .

Wolfram

Check to see if the radio station has an online streaming version of the station. If it does then the best way would be to digitally record it using something like Rotal Recorder. That will record anything that is played through the sound card. I use Total Recorder all the time to record the Essential Mix off of the BBC. It maked perfect recordings that are as close to CD quality as you can get.

I use a Sony DAT or Nak Dragaon. Quite honestly, the DAT blows the Dragon away. Stacked array of large Winegard outside antenna (cable radio sucked the last time I tried it, much noisier than a good off-the-air signal). The live programs on WFMT are pretty good.

My Sony A7 is getting old but still works fine. Sony or Tascam seem to be predominant in the pro market. I believe Fostex makes one too. DAT is used mostly in pro audio. Most of the differences will be in features such as variable speed shuffling, 16 bit verses 16 bit plus 24 bit resolution, balanced XLR inputs/outputs verses RCA, etc. The price goes up accordingly. If you're mainly going to use it for recording radio programs or converting cassette tapes I'd just go with a lower priced model, even a demo/used/clearance product. If your going to do live recording or mastering/editing/duplication then you might want to invest in the higher end models.

The pro audio/music stores will probably have the best deals since they are always trying to cut each other's throat on pricing.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com (Guitar Center's website)

http://www.americanmusical.com

http://www.samash.com

----------------

On 4/7/2004 7:07:04 AM kev313 wrote:

JT - How do you like that Panasonic??

----------------

Like Artto's Sony, it's a discontinued model, but it's as good as a Sony or Tascam IMO. And like Artto said, if you're primarily recording from radio broadcasts, a used model from any of the mentioned manufacturers will work out perfectly for you. The Panasonic is extremely rugged, yet versatile...you still see many Panasonic DAT recorders in pro recording studios all over the country, if not the world, so it too, would be a good choice.

Just my two cents...