RF7 and Subwoofer ? vs Definitive Tech

nuclearay

I have enjoying this forum for several months now it is my turn to post.

I have been a long time listener of Klipsch, but never an owner.

I have been shopping around for speakers for several months and narrowed it down to either the RF7s or the similarly priced DefTech BP2002?... I think that was the model. (Don't worry people, I am getting the RF7s next week) In the store I was able to crank the p.o.s. Sony Reciever pretty hard and the Klipsch just about blew the rest of the hair on my head clean off. My only disappointment in comparing to the DefTech was the bass -- but I suppose powered subs will do that.

I am on a limited budged and probably will not be buying a "decent" sub until next year -- but I have found an older SW10 for about $150 locally. Actually, there are two SW10s for sale and could probably get the pair for a little over $200.

Would this be a good stopgap measure for bass until later?

Is this a good price?

From what I read from other posts are not two subs better than one?

I have a HK AVR8000 used for 50%movies and 50%music

I love metal/double bass, electronica (kruder&dorfmeister, etc.) and the Mrs. loves the booty shaking music.

Thanks y'all for any input.

----------------

On 4/9/2004 11:20:15 AM nuclearay wrote:

I have enjoying this forum for several months now it is my turn to post.

I have been a long time listener of Klipsch, but never an owner.

I have been shopping around for speakers for several months and narrowed it down to either the RF7s or the similarly priced DefTech BP2002?... I think that was the model. (Don't worry people, I am getting the RF7s next week) In the store I was able to crank the p.o.s. Sony Reciever pretty hard and the Klipsch just about blew the rest of the hair on my head clean off. My only disappointment in comparing to the DefTech was the bass -- but I suppose powered subs will do that.

I am on a limited budged and probably will not be buying a "decent" sub until next year -- but I have found an older SW10 for about $150 locally. Actually, there are two SW10s for sale and could probably get the pair for a little over $200.

Would this be a good stopgap measure for bass until later?

Is this a good price?

From what I read from other posts are not two subs better than one?

I have a HK AVR8000 used for 50%movies and 50%music

I love metal/double bass, electronica (kruder&dorfmeister, etc.) and the Mrs. loves the booty shaking music.

Thanks y'all for any input.

----------------

I've got the BP2000TLs which is a step up from the 2002s, and the bass is impressive, and will stand up to most subs BUT! it doesn't hit as deep as a SVS. My friend has A SVS sub which just beats up on my two powered towers when it comes to the low deep stuff, but I've got nowhere to put a sub right now. I love my system to death but when his SVS kicked in I was a bit envious....and promptly started trying to figure out where on earth I could put one of those things and still have room in my apt and still keep my furniture...then answer...sigh...nowhere.

I'm an electronic music junkie, so clean bass is a must, and thus far I'm incredibly pleased with my Def Techs..

The FLAGSHIP DEF TECHS though...thats a whole new ballgame--the 7000s and 7001s can crush most stand alone subs (except for SVS and the higher priced stuff like Aerial, Earthquake, Bag End, etc etc..)..but they also cost quite a bit more...

"The RF-7s, properly amplified, have plenty of bass."

Voila the secret,a proper amplifier takes care of DeafFinitive bass.With RF7's and a Bryston like amp you best the Definitive bass in impact and detail.The largest dfefinitive monster towers had more bass but the low end was as defined as a whale.RF7's are solid to around 30Hz.

I have four RF7's(front and back)powered by ATI 2505 and the bass is all there and has impact no DeafFinitive can match even in their B0$e style hoopla brochures.

Plus I have all three RSW subs and a few Sunfires backing these so...11.gif

If bass is weak,lacking you are not usingt a serious amp,or the receiver/pre pro is not configured properly.

I agree!!!!!

Running a pair of RF7s off the Pioneer 49txi they seemed week on the low end at best.

Connection the RF7s to a Parasound Halo A23, well now we are talking air moving around.

If Pioneer was to come out with a controller with all the features of the 49txi/59txi it would be in my HT.

The Pioneer is good but the parasounds make the RF7s GREAT!!!!!!

RF7'S ALL THE WAY.I USE A YAMAHA RXV3300 (130X6)ON 5 RF7 ABD AN RC7 AND THERE IS PLENTY OF BASS.I HAVE SOLD DEF TECH AND KLIPSCH (OWNER 14 YRS) AND DEF TECH FALLS OFF PLAYING MUSIC UNLESS YOU BUY THE TOP OF THE LINE DEF TECHS AT MORE THEN $2000 EA.I WAS IMPRESSED BY A MOVIE DEMO AT A DEF TECH TRAINING BUT STILL FALLS SHORT OF A KLIPSH RF7 DEMO.IN BEHIND ENEMY LINES WHEN THEY DROP THE FUEL TANKS ONE PINGS OFF OF THE ROAD AND RF7'S YOU DISTINCTLY HEAR THAT SOUND.

Thanks to all for the input.

After doing some brushing up on the specs of the old SW10s it would appear as though the RF7s are in the same frequency range. I think I will save my ca$h for a REAL subwoofer in the future. Hopefully my Harman Kardon reciever will be able to pump some bass into the Klipsch for the time being.

If the taxman doesn't get all of my money this week I hope to get a sub sooner rather than later. UGH!