Informative email transaction between myself and a home theater installer. Good theory and info!

m00n

Dean ok I will take you up on that suggestion and rotate the horns when I get them. How do you reverse the phasing on speakers? I know on the subs there are some switches, but not sure how you do this on regular speakers. Never heard of that before.

One more question. it's been brought up a few times now. How do you hook up an RSW-12 to the center channel? I'm intreagued by this. I have my 12 stacked on top of my 15, would i move the 12 so that it sits behind the center RF7?

----------------

On 4/11/2004 11:47:39 PM m00n wrote:

Wow... Keith.. I agree, you have given me the same direction that he has. I did not post his information for the purpose of saying a new person has shown me the light where you have failed, I'm sorry if you took it that way.

Basically I posted it for two reasons. One, there simply is some very good information and advice, not only that but it does align up with a lot of other peoples thoughts on this board. Two, I wanted others to have a chance to see/read it. A do as
others suggest
, not as I do.

Keith, I realize that my approach is unorthadox, it's not the suggested way, it very well may not the best way. However my theater is my is my lab so to speak. My area to play, learn, experiment and try different things. My opportunity to figure out what works well with each other what does not. How to place speakers, how to accousticly treat my room. My ability to learn the in's and out's of audio and home theater.

You guys have years and years of knowledge on me and I see many of you giving me your best advice and I know it's because you want to share your experiances with me, to teach me from your experiments and discoveries. I highly value every single bit of information that is given to me. I realize that it may frusterate some of you to see me make some of the decisions I do. I don't know what to say. It's not like I'm blowing off the advice, or having the mindset that everyone is full of sh1t and I'm right, thats not the case at all..... Again, I highly appreciate everyones input, but I can't help but feel that it's ok for me to experiment as well and receive advice.

And as far as the horn ed remark... Keith, it was just a joke, I was just having fun with you.
Not against you
just with you. Sorry if you took offence.

Damn... I posted this for other peoples benifits and sadly all I've done is piss off and alienate someone who I feel to be a great friend of mine. As a matter of fact Keith, do you know who the very first person was to reply to my first post on this board? I do. I was you.. I still remember. Back when you had those mick jagger looking lips. Eh.. Don't listen to me. I'm just bummed that I feel as though I've lost a friend.
15.gif

----------------

Hey Rick! I guess I ate too many chocolate Easter eggs. 1.gif I'm not mad buddy, no way no how as Craig would say. Its just frustrating to see you buying and selling when you already have everything you need.

The RF-7 can do no more than the RC-7 set small with your receiver crossover handing off to your L/R front and sub. In fact, the RC-7 will probably sound better than the RF-7 center set large. The center is all about intelligibility. I'm not going to repeat the 'most important speaker' crap, or the 'timbre matching' line. Lets see, 'Klipsch top-o-the-line Reference speaker system includes a non-timbre matching center'. Yeah right.

I've been sitting here 15 minutes now trying to determine how I can download what I want to say in a few lines. I can't. That would require DSL and I'm operating on dial-up.

Like I said, sounds like you're getting some good advice now. Use it to your advantage. And experiment. Give the placement changes time.

And Dean, the fire still burns, I just don't have the patience to stoke it.2.gif

Keith

"And Dean, the fire still burns, I just don't have the patience to stoke it."

You have no idea how well I relate to that. I'm too damn busy and tired to worry about all the piddly stuff people say makes a difference. I just turn the stuff on and listen to the music. Nothing is annoying me, so it must sound good. :) I would like to upgrade my preamp and parts in my AK-4 crossovers -- but I just plain don't have the money or time to deal with it.

----------------

On 4/11/2004 7:13:23 PM m00n wrote:

----------------

On 4/11/2004 7:12:07 PM ygmn wrote:

All I can say is interesting read......

Time to play some more huh m00n?

----------------

Why do I get this impression there is an evil giggle to that post.

Oh and to answer your question... I dunno. I've tried all sorts of configurations already. I've already ordered the RC7s. I'm not thinking at this point I'm chaning gears...

----------------

No evil giggle....hehehe

I do bet you are having the most fun....tweaking your system...and I am jealous about that....

Experimenting is fun...and you will soon have enough speakers...to have all sorts of configurations.....which is a good thing right?

Do have fun and update your site when you are experimeanting....

----------------

On 4/12/2004 9:41:58 AM ygmn wrote:

Experimenting is fun...and you will soon have enough speakers...to have all sorts of configurations.....which is a good thing right?

Do have fun and update your site when you are experimeanting....

----------------

Im almost glad my RS7s have not sold yet. Allows me to continue arranging, configuring, trying all different sorts of things while having my RC7s at the same time.

As far as updating my site. Oh man! There is so much to update. I really need a "Captins Log" 2.gif

----------------

On 4/11/2004 5:37:26 PM m00n wrote:

Kevin, It's not that I ever felt as though I had anything wrong accousticly, my issue was that I don't like surrounds that are

A) in front of me

B)
in back of me.

I like my sourrounds to be on the sides of me. With that said, I do like having rears as well. I'm aware that having multiple surrounds is going to cause some problems. However, as I have mentioned in the past, I plan on accepting some of that.

Oh... just read your email... No i have not treated the first and second reflection points yet. I have been working with someone who shares your views on my room. He too has been beating me over the head with the "NO DUPLICATE SURROUNDS" stick. You two should get along very well.
9.gif

I do plan on doing more accoustic treatments. I want to work on first and second reflection points, however, artto was having me address bass issues first.

He and I have been working on fixing excessive low frequeny issues. I have built some bass traps in the back of my room. Go to the Architectural area, there are two posts that will shed a lot of light on my situation. That is if you have the time.

----------------

Okay...just came back to the forum to check what is happening.

No treatment of first and second reflection zones...gag...DUDE! 6.gif

You have to get them treated before you start changing equipment out!

LFE treatment is damned important, but treating the first and second primaries is

job number Uno when designing a system. Put DOWN the speaker mount! 9.gif

Everything is going to change when you get things treated including your rear channel coverage (comb filter effects). What will be horrible is if you get all new rears mounted...THEN treat...

only to find out the new rears don't work and you end up having to go back to dipoles...

which is what you had in the first place. Also, trying to measure with uneven response is

the way to madness. Treat Treat Treat!

Kevin

The Sound Broker

It's been a long time since I have done my research on this. First and second reflections are

1) Directly beside the speakers on the wall side

2) Using the mirror trick sit in your sweet spot and move the mirror until your speaker comes into view (opposite speaker on opposite wall)

That being the case, are we talking broadband absorbtion?