HELP - - NHL Center Ice - GO LEAFS GO

jagangjee

Picky,

Also as I am a Comcast subscriber, any word of any other HD channels added to the line up aside from their current: ABC, CBS, PBS, ESPN, Shoetime, HBO, and Cinemax? Rumor has in by Fall of 2004 they are adding Fox-HD and TNT-HD but I cannot get any confirmation.

Next, take a look at Microsoft's website for some HD content. There are about 7 or 8 many that are used for IMAX, they are incredible. A friend of mine downloaded them to his HTPC (yet another reason to get one of those), and they are the MOST amazing picture I have EVER seen!

Wings: 2 man advantage, for 6 sec and GOAL...these Wings don't look that bad on Power Plays come on now.....4-1 Detroit

Has for Hasek and CuJo, Hasek retired and then returned, CuJo said..."I want to win a Cup and I want to play for a team the can win me a cup". Obviously the team who made him who he is can't win him a cup, so I would love to see the Leafs and Wings in the Finals. Till them the Leafs better show up tomorrow night......

WOW, now it's 5-1 Detroit....

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

jagangjee:

Hmm... let's see. On Comcast HD here in Metro Detroit, we currently receive the following channels:

ESPN-HD, INHD-1, INHD-2, ShowtimeDe, HBOHDe, ABC-HD, NBC-HD, CBS-HD, FOX-HD, MAXHDe, PBS-HD1, PBS-HD2, & STARZ-HD.

Since the Wings are off today, I'll probably catch the Leafs game tonight. We get the CBC network from arcoss the Detroit river over in Windsor, Canada. They have very good hockey coverage! Those guys really KNOW their hockey!

Yeah, the Wings really picked things up in yesterday's game (5-2 Win). Their power play looked better than recent history. But if you look at the stats of late, rather then their regular season, you'll find that the Wings are only 5 power play goals for 30-some-odd attempts. The PP Percent has dropped to 12.2% from 20.0% in the regular season. Prior to yesterday's game, their PP percentage was between 5 & 6%. And the Wing's bread-and-butter is all about scoring on the power play and short-handed goals. It's good to see them coming back.

I see that Colorado is now down 0-2 in their series against San Jose. Interesting.

Yeah, Hasek came back and played only 14 games. At least I give the man credit for giving most of the money in his contract back when he left. That was definitely a first. Imagine that: A millionaire player who still has integrity! He's a class act. Manny Legacy (the Wing's back-up goalie) has been my hero this year in net. Cujo is coming along now. He was injured for quite a while. I hate to see anyone hurt.

Here's to Wings and Leafs in the finals! Go WIngs! Go Leafs!

T_Shomaker:

Never be too ashamed of your team to mention their name! You've gotta stick with them through thick-and-thin. Call 'em names if you have to, ...but, they're still your team. You think YOU'RE embarassed? Then, allow me to tell you about a little baseball team named the Detroit Tigers! Until this year, THEY were a Class-A, #1 embarassment. But, Detroit still loved 'em. Now, they are having a great year. Heck, I can remember back when the Wings stuck-up the ice so bad, we called them the "Dead Wings", "Dead Things", etc. But, they were still our team.16.gif

-Picky 2.gif

----------------

On 4/25/2004 4:49:12 PM picky-picky wrote:

T_Shomaker:

Never be too ashamed of your team to mention their name! You've gotta stick with them through thick-and-thin. Call 'em names if you have to, ...but, they're still your team. You think YOU'RE embarassed? Then, allow me to tell you about a little baseball team named the Detroit Tigers! Until this year, THEY were a Class-A, #1 embarassment. But, Detroit still loved 'em. Now, they are having a great year. Heck, I can remember back when the Wings stuck-up the ice so bad, we called them the "Dead Wings", "Dead Things", etc. But, they were still our team.
16.gif

-Picky
2.gif

----------------

Okay the Blues

T_Shomaker:

I think the Blues are a fine team.- IMO They have always been a tough rival for Detroit. Every team faulters from time-to-time. Just look at the Wings right now; they are down 1-2 behind Calgary who simply out-played them last night. 15.gif It happens. Naturally, I hope the Wings can come back, but they are far from perfect. Leafs are down 0-2 behind Phili and Colorado is 0-3 behind San Jose, Montreal 0-3 behind Tampa Bay. These are all great teams we are talking about. Only one thing is for certain: Somebody has to win and somebody has to lose.

Alright guys, I need some help. I was watching my beloved Leafs beat the Flyers last night (and man did they look good!!!) and a friend of mine and I got into a discussion. Now I have been a Leafs fan for probably close to 20 some years and have only really followed hockey and the players for the past 15 years. Here is my question, and I already have my answers... In the past 15 years what has been the "BEST" playoff series in the NHL? Includes goals, fights, everything.

Picky you may be with me on my pick, but I need to hear it first....

jagangjee:

Oh, man! That is a tough one for me. There were so many good series. Being a Wings fan however, I am going out on a limb here and say the 1996-1997 Year Playoff finals between Detroit and Phili. That was the year of the limo incident with Konstantinov, too.15.gif

Picky,

Detroit and Phili in '97 huh... That was pretty good, but the one that stands out the most was Detroit and Colorado in 97. I have never seen so many fights, blood, and teams taking a beating ever in a series in my life. I remember this series distinctly as I was studying for Finals. Incredible, I wonder if I could get that series on DVD or Tape, I watch ESPN Classics occasionally and have never seen it.

Your Wings looked good in the 3rd, but horrible in the 2nd. Hopefully the Leafs will pull through tonight, anyway we get to watch them in HD on Sunday. Go LEAFS GO!!

----------------

On 4/25/2004 4:49:12 PM picky-picky wrote:

T_Shomaker:

Never be too ashamed of your team to mention their name! You've gotta stick with them through thick-and-thin. Call 'em names if you have to, ...but, they're still your team. You think YOU'RE embarassed? Then, allow me to tell you about a little baseball team named the
Detroit Tigers! Until this year, THEY were a Class-A, #1 embarassment.
But, Detroit still loved 'em. Now, they are having a great year. Heck, I can remember back when the Wings stuck-up the ice so bad, we called them the "Dead Wings", "Dead Things", etc. But, they were still our team.
16.gif

-Picky
2.gif
----------------

Picky-Sports Radio 1130 was calling the Tigers the Toledo Mud Hens major league affilliate last year!!!!

9.gif

I have never been so aggravated in all my life!!! Last night we had some friends over to watch the Wings game. Well, 10pm rolls around and we turn on the projector and get baseball highlights for much longer than you would have expected them to run. We then see the score of the game in the lower left hand corner as the highlights from other games are displayed. Well, I double checked the channel guide, scrolled through several other options (game was on ESPN2 and Det Fox 2) to no avail (we don't get Fox 2-600 other channels, but no Fox 2). Well, I immediately jump on the telephone to my local cable outlet-Charter Communications and wait, and wait and wait...you get the picture. I finally remember that they didn't cover one of the Predators-Wings games either because of a subscription problem between Charter and ESPN2 or something like that. So that gives me the idea to get the game on Pay per view. Then, I hung up after 30 minutes of being on hold and dial the PPV number. Push 1 for Comcast (which I don't have). Operator then says, "If your local cable company was not listed in our options, please hang up and call them directly) I then proceeded to have a meltdown!!! lol So, back on the phone again....long story short, I was on the phone for an hour and a half or so and then gave up. They did eventually get the game on with about 5 minutes to go in the 2nd period!!! 7.gif Sorry to vent, but I'm sure you've all been through this as well!!!!!! Arhhgggg!!!!!

Ok, on to other topics... The Wings played a great game (from what I saw anyway) last night. Awesome-they won and now back to the big D for a home game. If you've followed the Wings over the years you will probably have noticed one common thread on most of their teams. That is, they need to have their backs against the wall or have some deep, internal motivation to get motivated and dominate. In 1997 it was what, 40 years since the last championship. In 1998, it was the injuries to Vladimir (sp?) Konstantinov and Sergei Manatsakonov and the idea of winning it for them. In the Wings-Predators series, they got that motivation from the Predators goalie who gave the Wings some serious locker-room bulletin board material. Well, last night the motivation came from a Calgary player who purposefully ran into the Wings goalie, Curtis Joseph, knocking him backwards into the crossbar and subsequently the net. This was a cheap shot and will serve the Wings well in this series. Calgary has made a practice of running into Joseph during the entire series, but this shot was so blatant that it would be obvious to anyone watching the game. Do I hear the voice of devils past, Claude Lemieux?! 11.gif

Picky-I believe that you may be right about the grounding issue. I'm going to check my connections tonight and see if I can't figure this out. I also need to get a protector for my subwoofer-local shop recommends a Monster protector that plugs into the top and bottom outlet. Any suggestions here?

sorry for the lengthy post, I'm off my soap box for now...12.gif

David

jagangjee: Oh! I have to agree with you that '97 DET Vs. COL was the best, but I made the mis-assumption that you were only refering to finals. Sorry. 15.gif I think it was that year too that the grand rivalry between the Av's and Wings was cemented for good. That series was one "Lollapalooza!"

The only thing I have seen is a VHS video tape of the Wings' '97 series that is a video montage of each quarter-round of the finals and player interviews, etc. I happen to have a copy of it at the house. I think it was called simply "Hockeytown', or something like that. I do know the following year (1998) is still available at Amazon. It's called "Return to Hockeytown'. The (2003) DVD video is 'Red Alert'; also at Amazon.

I think it's great that you'll be seeing the Leafs in HD, but not to dissapoint you, I have not been impressed (YET) with ESPN's HD coverage. They do golf really well in HD, but tend to chince-out when it comes to hockey. 7.gif

dkp: So sorry to hear of your TV dilemma. 8.gif That really sucks! "Been there, done that." I did do some frantic channel-surfing for the game at 10 last night too, but I was fortunate that we receive channel 2. Sorry, dude! I'm afraid the Tige's got slaughtered last night. But they have improved so much this year. It's great to see. I agree with all of the points you made.

Plug in for the subwoofer outlet: I recommend what I am using: Tripp Lite Model: ULTRABLOK428 has 2 outlet wall plug

I am going to borrow the soapbox from dkp here for a minute:

Yes, the Wings looked a bit ragged last night until the 3rd when Dandenault scored the go-ahead and Zetterberg shot an empty-netter. I was really P-O'd when that jackass, Nieminen ran Cujo over out of last-minute frustration. Despite the crappy officiating through-out the last two games (I KNOW that Calgry did not play 5-straight periods of flawless hockey...yet no calls), I must give the refs credit for cited that dirt-bag Nieminen with a major, and ejection and a game misconduct (I think)! He's a very skilled hockey player so there is no excuse for unprovoked, deliberate violence against another player on his part. He actually left the play to attack Cujo. All I've got to say about Saturday's Wings' game is, if Nieminen DID get the misconduct, then:

"Yo! Nieminen: Buh-Bye!" 9.gif

Oh, and dkp: DITTO on Claude Lemieux?! 11.gifMcCarty (25) sure did clean his clock! HOCKEY RULES!!

GO WINGS!!

----------------

7.gif"

Plug in for the subwoofer outlet: I recommend what I am using: Tripp Lite Model: ULTRABLOK428 has 2 outlet wall plug

Picky-Do you remember how much it was or where I can get one? The Monster "plug" is around $50. By the way, my local dealer's THX system shipped out yesterday. I can't wait to hear it!

I think the league needs to suspend that guy (Niemenen or sp?) I doubt they will, due to the playoffs, but we will see. Part of me hopes they don't... Did you hear Barry Melrose's comments about that after the game? He said that basically the league has created this type of player. It used to be that Niemenen would have had to stand up for himself. Now, he can simply skate away and get off with a penalty. I think the league HAS to suspend him if they want to put a kabash on this type of behavior...

David

Pickey,

I am glad you agree, that series was "THE BEST" Series I have seen.

As for the other posts, The Tigers do suck, but I live in Pittsburgh and the Pirates are worse. We are now a minor leauge team that developes players and then send them off to other teams because our freekin city is bankrupt and can't aford to pay them. Oh yea we also have the Penguins, who are just as bad as a minor leauge hockey team, except we have the great Lemieux who only still plays because the city owes him millions.

As for the Nieminen incident, I am not taking the Wings side and I am not taking the Flames side, I am just going to state what I have seen. In this series the officials allow these players to crash the net, and the goalies do not say or do anything unless it happend after 10 times. Watch the Leafs game tonight, if any player touches Eddie in the net, Eddie will go nuts. Yet in both series the officals allow this crap to happen, and allow it to get out of hand. If they would do their freekin job and call penalties as they should, we things like the incident with Nieminen would not happen.

I understand that this is "Play-off" hockey and let them play, but how many hig-sticks do need on Tucker, Domi, and even Brasher to get a call. Before you needed to draw blood for a 5 min major, now it is a 2 min minor. This is why Nieminen can do what he does so many times and then finally get called for it. He should have been called for it many, many times earlier.

My theory is that if you touch the goalie in the crease it should be a 2 min minor. My 2 cents...

GO LEAFS GO

dkp:

Among the six on-line retailers I see listed on Tripp-Lite's site, Provantage.com has the unit for $26.77

Yeah, those Klipsch THX systems are causing quite a stir and rightfully so. One thing's for sure, I am thankful we bought our reference system already last year before there was any talk of this new THX system. Why, you may ask? Because it was fairly easy to convince the wife to purchase the Reference series; they sounded great and were somewhat affordable. But, at just-under 10 Bill's for the THX system? Holy cow! I'm sure it's worth it but, she would have a "you-know-what" fit! 6.gif And those type of fits are so-o ugly! 14.gif LOL!9.gif I know the THX will probably out-perform my RF-7s and the rest, but they are just too pricey for me and my bride. The bad part is that the THX system would fit in my little room better than the RF-7s. Oh well. 15.gif

On Nieminen: My son put it best: They should have given him a game misconduct with a 3-game suspension and a fine.

On Melrose: On rare occations, he actually says something I agree with, but most of the time he, and the other ESPN taking heads are so busy with there lips planted squarely on the arses of the Colorado Avalache that they have nothing good to say about most of the other teams, especially the Red Wings. Melrose is still sore because Detroit got rid of him years ago when he was quite unproductive. Sorry, but I am not a fan of Melrose, or the majority of the ESPN team. 7.gif

jagangjee: I could not agree with you more that the goalies need to complain right away any time they are interfered with while they are in the blue. However, there are two things you mentioned that I wish to respectfully point out:

1) The goalies are currently not "fair game" regardless of where they are on the ice, and until that changes, they should not HAVE to complain to get the call if the refs are doing their jobs.

2) I respect Eddie the Eagle and no, he doesn't take any guff from players charging the crease (a lot like Patty Roy in that respect). However, Eddie, as you so accurately put it, does tend to "go nuts". In fact, that is his reputation among his fans. And, for that reason, he sometimes costs his team some dumb penalties, as did Roy. But as for being ruthless in net, no other goalie "crotches" Detroit forward Holstrom with the blade of his golaie stick more than does Belfour! ***YEOWOUCH!!!***14.gif

BTW: There were no less than 3 non-called icings against Calgary last night! (not to mention uncalled hits, etc.) UNACCEPTABLE!!!! 7.gif

Without a doubt some of the ESPN guys are biased towards certain teams, Colorado being one of them. I don't particularly care for Barry Melrose either. I missing being able to watch Don Cherry on hockey night in Canada..the guy always made me laugh.

I doubt Colorado will be able to come back and push it to a game 7. They just don't seem to have the effort it takes to do it. They got lucky in Game 4. Luck doesn't last forever. I don't care much for San Jose either. Detroit/Calgary..well I like Calgary more, they've done a great job in the playoffs considering they even been in the playoffs for so long though I think Detroit will reach the finals in the end. I cannot stand Philadelphia... just bah! Leafs all the way! If they play the rest of the series like they played Game 3 they will win. I was sad to see Monreal lose in 4 straight but as had been said there is no other greater place for hockey than that city. To cheer your team after losing the game and the series in four straight is just something else to me. It's a tribute to the organization, the team, the city and the fans. That was the only good part of that series. Tampa Bay...ugh. Reminds me of the Florida Panthers.

----------------

On 4/30/2004 12:48:41 PM picky-picky wrote:

dkp:

Among the six on-line retailers I see listed on Tripp-Lite's site, Provantage.com has the unit for $26.77

Yeah, those Klipsch THX systems are causing quite a stir and rightfully so. One thing's for sure, I am thankful we bought our reference system already last year before there was any talk of this new THX system. Why, you may ask? Because it was fairly easy to convince the wife to purchase the Reference series; they sounded great and were somewhat affordable. But, at just-under 10 Bill's for the THX system? Holy cow! I'm sure it's worth it but, she would have a "you-know-what" fit!
6.gif"
And those type of fits are so-o ugly!
14.gif"
LOL!
9.gif"
I know the THX will probably out-perform my RF-7s and the rest, but they are just too pricey for me and my bride. The bad part is that the THX system would fit in my little room better than the RF-7s. Oh well.
15.gif"

On Nieminen: My son put it best: They should have given him a game misconduct with a 3-game suspension and a fine.

On Melrose: On rare occations, he actually says something I agree with, but most of the time he, and the other ESPN taking heads are so busy with there lips planted squarely on the arses of the Colorado Avalache that they have nothing good to say about most of the other teams, especially the Red Wings. Melrose is still sore because Detroit got rid of him years ago when he was quite unproductive. Sorry, but I am not a fan of Melrose, or the majority of the ESPN team.
7.gif"
----------------

Thx for the heads up on the "plug." I'll check it out because the Monster "plug" is $50 and probably does the same thing.

THX-too rich for my blood too, but they should be fun to listen to. As long as I don't get a case of the, "hmm, I wonder if there's a way to get these..." itis...12.gif I love my RF-7 rigs and don't plan on changing for a looonnngg time. By the way, I wonder if one of those Monster (or other) electricity stabilizers (what IS the technical term, anyway) would also help out.

Melrose-you are quite right about him. He says the odd thing I agree with, such as last night, but mostly he gets down on the Wings for the reason you stated in your post.

I stopped by the local Klipsch dealer today and listened to the new "Heart, Live in Seattle" DVD concert. It was pretty spectacular and I may have to stop by BB tonight and pick it up...

Well, another game tomorrow. Go Wings, go Leafs and go Colorado (I hope they wear out San Jose a bit before the next round, presuming we move on.)

David

sj993: You've made some great points, most I agree with, especially the fans tribute to Montreal in the end. Those fans are a class act.

On Don Cherry: I am fortune to live near Canada and be able to pick up CBC. Cherry is always fun to listen to. Even if the game I am watching is on another network such as ESPN for Fox Sports Net, I'll often tune into Hockey Night in Canada during the intermission just to listen to Don Cherry and his 'Coach's Corner'. It's a shame that it appears CBC is not going to renew Cherry's contract when it expires at the end of this season. Cherry has said recently (this week) that he'd love to continue 'Coach's Corner' (and I hope he does), but CBC has made no move. Believe it or not, there are rumors that CBC may ask Brett Hull of all people to do intermission spots in place of Cherry! He's done it before and he was quite good. Who knows? Stranger things than that have happened!

dkp: I use a Tripp-Lite brand "Line Conditioner" to protect my entire system. It is wonderful in that it protects from surges, spikes, lightening, brown-outs and filters noise. It constantly monitors the incoming line voltage and as long as the voltage is between 85V and 140V, the box corrects the voltage going to my system back to 110V. If the input voltage should travel above or below that level, the box shuts the entire system down! The best part is that it is rack mountable and costs a least one-hundred less than the Monster and other brand boxes. It's the Model LCR 2400 and I got it through one of Tripp-Lite's online vendors a year ago for about $245 bucks. It's great insurance in addition to making the effort to ground your cable system and unplug the cable during electrical storms.

I agree with all the good stuff you said relative to the league and teams. I saw this morning that Nieminen IS, in fact, OUT for today's game: One point for the good guys!

GO WINGS, GO LEAFS, GO AV'S!!!!

{GROAN}: The Wings gave it up for the Flames 1-0. The were completely out-played 15.gif

{DOUBLE-GROAN}: Our projector died and we had to watch the game on our 36" direct-view TV 14.gif

See my post about it, if interested, in 'Home Theater' at:

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=49344&sessionID={29CC96CA-2D82-40B4-AE55-7A0356C8B6E8}

{TRIPLE-GROAN}: Steve Yzerman (19) took a puck in the face, has a scratched left cornea, and multiple breaks in his left eye orbital bone. He's out for the duration. 15.gif15.gif15.gif

The Wings surely deserved to lose that game. They came out utterly flat, got outworked and had their hineys handed to them. If they don't come out flying tonight it's all over-for the season and most likely Yzerman's career. I would hate to see such a terrible ending to his stellar career.

I watched the Flyers/Leafs game (not the last one, but 2 games ago) and all I can say is, "Wow!" That was quite a game! I didn't get to see the entire game, but both teams were playing with a lot of emotion, skating hard, hitting cleanly and just playing an excellent playoff hockey game. Very entertaining, unlinke the Wings game on Saturday... 15.gif