HELP - - NHL Center Ice - GO LEAFS GO

jagangjee

dkp: I completely agree with you on all points here. But, I was very sorry to see the shellacking that Toronto took yesterday. It was more like a baseball score: 7-2 Philly! 6.gif

Tonight may be the Wings last chance to stay in! I wish them luck!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There was a Leafs game on last night? I missed it!

Oh thats right that was when Eddie gave up 6 goals on 18 shots! I could stand in that net with pads and never move and stop more than 12 of 18 shots. Very poor game for the Leafs last night, but they looked great Wednesday and Friday. Hopefully they will pull thorugh tomorrow night at home and no Esch in net.

Wings gotta pull through tonight....

The Flames "toasted" the Wings last night in OT 1-0.

It appears that THIS is the only thing the boys from Detroit will be hoisting above their heads this year:

yzer-bag.jpg

All kidding asside, the only player who consistently came to play throughout both series is none other than Curtis Joeseph. Cujo came through for the Wings, but he can't score goals. The big guns were silent and the team's power play stunk: 5-55!!!! You can't win games playing like that and I would be shocked if there wasn't somebody new in the coach's office this September! I think Dave Lewis is toast.

jagangjee: Good luck tonight with your Leafs, my friend! At least, now I'll be able to sleep at night!

15.gif15.gif15.gif

post-10177-13819253911546_thumb.jpg

Pickey,

I watched the first two periods and then called it a night. Based the ways both goaltenders were playing I figured it would go into overtime. First period, lots of missed opportunities on both sides, but also great goaltending from both sides. I do agree, that CuJo was key in this series, but as you said he cannot score goals. If it wasn't for Eddies' performance on Sunday night, I could say the same thing about the Leafs. It is almost like both teams have "too much" talent and they rely too heavily on the other players.

We'll see what happens tonight, Leafs WILL show up and I hope Eddie does too. They have to get the first goal, as they have only won one game from behind during the playoffs. Esch is suppose to be in net, but looks to be a game time decsion, then again Burke is not a bad back up at all. Pilar is filling in for Klee and Newey and Sundin better be on their game, and Almo is finally getting conforatable. Look for the big hits from McCabe, Tucker and Domi!

GO LEAFS GO!!!!

Nice pic, picky. Maybe "The Don" would like a coaching gig in Detroit????

I thought the Wings played an absolutely phenomenal game last night. There were at least three shots that either trickled through and went just wide of the net or an open net was missed (Homer). I thought they played pretty darn good. You definitely have to give Calgary credit for their accomplishment. They consistently outworked and outplayed the Wings in every aspect of the game throughout the series. You can take some credit away from them for their holding, roughing and obstruction penalties (that were not called), but not for their effort. Congratulations to the Flames for a great series.

It will be interesting to see what happens to this Wings team in the off-season. The team next year will certainly be much different from this year, especially with half of the players eligible for free-agency. Dave Lewis did a great job througout the regular season and the playoffs. The players just didn't play hard enough. When the team gave its full effort, they generally won. When they played without much emotion and intensity, they lost. I don't know how much blame for that can be placed upon the coach.

We'll see what Kenny Holland does-I hope he can continue to work his magic. Certainly we are at the end of an era for this current group of players.

dkp:

Well said, my friend. I agree with you all nearly every point, and congrats to Calgary for a fierce fight this series. Yes, the Wings did try hard last night but "almost" only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, I'm afraid. In the end, "All of the kings horses and all of the kings men, couldn't put the biscuit in the basket, again!" ...Hmmm, sounds almost like a "Mickey-ism" (Mickey Redmond). {wink} ;) LOL

The point about the coach (Lewis) is arguable; They seemed to play uninspired for most of both series. A coach is largely responsible for team motivation. They also did not communicate well on the ice in the playoffs. The coach is supposed to ensure, reinforce and demand player communication. We saw a completely different team in the playoffs. The line-changes were too frequent last night and that prevented the guys from getting any solid offensive plays going. Line changes are the coach's decision.

One final point; how can one have so many future hall-of-famers on one team, yet not score many goals relative to their enormous shots-on percentage? It's just a shame.

I expect there will be a lot of changes next year. I sort of hope that Lewis will be replaced. Don't get me wrong, I like Lewis. He's just not "Scotty (Bowman)-caliber", which, in itself, is rare. I think GM Kenny Holland may be the best in the business, so I hope he stays. I don't know when contracts run out, but, I think you'll see some big names taking the next exit. Players like Yzerman, Hull, Shanahan and Chelios may be gone next September. Not that I'd like to see them go, I just think it's sort of inevitable. I think Cujo and Legacy will stay and rightfully so. I hope they keep Maltby, Draper and McCarty. McCarty is a special case; he's not a flashy player during the regular season, but boy, when the play-offs begin, he reaches in there somewhere for a switch and POW! He transforms in to a different player during the playoffs. He played some awesome games in these two series.

cujo-cup2003.jpg

CUJO: "GOT BAG?"

Well my Leafs are out...

15.gif15.gif15.gif

They had plenty of opportunities that they couldn't capitalize on in the first period and in overtime. Great shot from Roenick to win the game. I will say that Sammy Kapenen got his bell rung and I was surprised that a penalty wasn't called...would have slowed the game down a little and could have been the difference in the outcome of the game. Man was that a hit, if you missed it...trust me it will be on ESPN. Then again it we could have, should have and would have all night long but it didn't happen.

Pickey, I know how you feel...this sucks. Looks like we will have to try and get pased 38 seasons next year. As for now, time to hit the courses look for that first 80 of the season and enjoy the summer.

In mourning....

JAG

15.gif15.gif15.gif

My deepest sympathy....

ripped.gif

8.gif14.gif15.gif8.gif14.gif15.gif8.gif14.gif15.gif

BTW: Notice in that picture of Cujo, you can't see the arm numbers? The body belongs to Yzerman and I pasted Cujo's head in. That's why there's no pads. I had to do that because Cujo has not hoisted the cup in his career. So, there are no pictures of him holding his arms up like that. The "Body-double" does it again! 2.gif

post-10177-13819253912106_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 5/4/2004 9:17:46 PM jagangjee wrote:

Well my Leafs are out...

15.gif15.gif15.gif

They had plenty of opportunities that they couldn't capitalize on in the first period and in overtime. Great shot from Roenick to win the game. I will say that Sammy Kapenen got his bell rung and I was surprised that a penalty wasn't called...would have slowed the game down a little and could have been the difference in the outcome of the game. Man was that a hit, if you missed it...trust me it will be on ESPN. Then again it we could have, should have and would have all night long but it didn't happen.

Pickey, I know how you feel...this sucks. Looks like we will have to try and get pased 38 seasons next year. As for now, time to hit the courses look for that first 80 of the season and enjoy the summer.

In mourning....

JAG

15.gif15.gif15.gif

----------------

I'm a huge Leafs -- and I'm so disappointed. But, all in all, they had a great regular season and a reasonably strong, but ultimately unsatisfying post-season. I think that they should not re-build, but rather try another season w/ this general line-up, tweaking it here and there. I think that they are closer than most people realize.

Jabez,

I couldn't agree with you more, this team has more talent than any Leafs team that I have ever seen. Even more than the Leafs team in 2001-2002 season. The addition of Nolan, Newey, Leetch, Eddie and Francis is huge. Sundin, Roberts, McCabe, Almo, and even Domi and Tucker...all of these players are potential, if not Hall of Famers. They key is who is healthy in the playoffs... It killed us in 2002 when we lost to Carolina and to a lesser degree it affected us this year as well.

As of now, I am rooting for the Sharks and our former boy Vinnie Damphouse and focusing my attention to golf.

Although the Leafs did lose, I still smile when I see that hit Tucker gave Kapenen in overtime.

Can you say "Airborn"...

In mourning....

JAG

15.gif15.gif15.gif

• 5 weeks later...

Well....the Red Wings re-signed Coach Dave Lewis for one more year yesterday. I had hoped they would have considered someone else, but I'm sure the front office knows a lot more about what they are doing than I do. I do have a lot of confidence in Ken Holland, their General Manager. So, we'll see what happens if they actually do get to play at all next season. I really hope there is no strike.

As for the current playoffs, I have been rooting for Calgary ever since they kicked our collective arses and with them scoring in OT last night to take a 3-2 lead in their series over Tampa Bay, Calgary just might end the hockey season this Saturday night if they win. With all due respect to Tampa, it would be nice to see a Canadian Team win this year for a change. I also noticed that Nieminen is still busy being STUPID! What a "rotten apple" that loser is. He probably won't stop until he is suspended permanently for maiming or killing someone on the ice. The guy never shows any remorse for what he's done and he always blind-sides other guy and then he won't fight when his victum's team-mates pounce on him for his actions. He's a poor-sported coward.

It's going to be a very long summer if the NHL goes out on strike. 15.gif Well, at least the Tigers are doing better this year! 16.gif

----------------

On 6/4/2004 8:46:37 AM picky wrote:

As for the current playoffs, I have been rooting for Calgary ever since they kicked our collective arses and with them scoring in OT last night to take a 3-2 lead in their series over Tampa Bay, Calgary just might end the hockey season this Saturday night if they win. With all due respect to Tampa, it would be nice to see a Canadian Team win this year for a change. I also noticed that
Nieminen
is still busy being STUPID! What a "
rotten apple
" that
loser
is. He probably won't stop until he is suspended permanently for maiming or killing someone on the ice. The guy never shows any remorse for what he's done and he always blind-sides other guy and then he won't fight when his victum's team-mates pounce on him for his actions.
He's a poor-sported coward

----------------

Picky-I think it's a good thing that Ilitch & co. brought the coaching staff back for another year. He did a remarkable job during the regular season and is now being vindicated by the success Calgary has been enjoying throughout the playoffs. We'll see how next year goes, if there even is one!!! I hope they get everything done over the summer, as hockey cannot withstand a drop in interest...

Have you noticed how when you combine his first name and the first letter of his last name that you almost get the word, "villian?!!!" <[sTRONG>Ville (sp?) Neiminen]. How appropriate!!! Just what the league needs-another Claude Lemieux...

David