OT: My Japan Adventure

RangerSix

Well, its my last day in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Japan. My last two weeks in this country have been nothing short of fascinating. What an amazing adventure. Anyway, for those that are interested, I left some snapshots of some of the places I went to. I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed taking them. Cheers.

Note: To help viewing, I reduced the picture pixel size to make it manageable over the net (approx 110 150kb per pic).

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

---------------------------------

HimejiCastle

In a nut shell: Earliest structure started off as a fort on or around 1333. Throughout the next 300 or so years, the castle went several metamorphoses until the final version was complete in 1609. The castle was fortunate not to have suffered the sad fate of many other castles throughout Japan. It is the quintessential example of Japanese castle architecture. I wont bore you anymore, see the picture.

post-9658-13819253972014_thumb.jpg

Hikone Caste<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

My personal favorite. While not as big as <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Himeji, it nonetheless is one of the few original castles that still remain in Japan. Completed in 1622, the castle majestically overlooks the city of Hikone. It is also the same castle where my red armor http://www.image-hosting.net/images/messageboard/retalt/Hikone4rx.jpg originates from.

post-9658-13819253973314_thumb.jpg

<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Toji Temple<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Located in Kyoto, this temple is one of probably hundreds of temples that dot this old city. Originally created in 794, the temple over the next 1000 years have gradually developed to what it is today. The pagoda in the background after being destroyed several times to lightning was finally completed to its current state in 1644 by the third Tokugawa Shogun Iemitsu. What the picture doesnt portray well is the sheer size of this massive structure. Its a full five stories in height (187 feet), the largest pagoda in Japan.

post-9658-13819253976724_thumb.jpg

The Great Buddha<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Located in the ancient capital city of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Kamakura, the bronze statue was cast in 1252. The temple that once contained the Buddha blew away in a tidal wave in 1498, leaving the Buddha in its current state ever since. Like the Tori temple before it, the statue is HUGE! It is 13.35 meters tall and weighs 121 tons.

post-9658-13819253977434_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 4/13/2004 9:52:49 PM kenratboy wrote:

I will go to Japan with my best friend, it is just a matter of when and for how long.

----------------

Kenratboy,

If you and your friend plan on going to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Japan, then by all means do it. You wont regret it. Unlike in the past, Japan is pushing hard to bring more tourist dollars into their economy. One of the most popular misconceptions is that Japan is very expensive. Not so. Folks on a budget, such as me, were able to function very well without worrying whether or not I was going to run out of money. Several recommendations though:

1) Develop a flexible itinerary. Pick certain locations or attractions that are must see and those that are maybes and then do a modest amount of research. It gave me a better appreciation of what I was looking at versus just observing pretty buildings. Plus, it will give your trip meaning versus just shooting from the hip. I done those before, and before you know it, youve wasted the time with nothing to show for it. Keep it flexible to adjust to weather conditions (i.e. museums for poor weather, cultural landmarks during sunny days, etc.). Finally, build into your itinerary a buffer zone (chill/low speed days) to allow for jetlag (for me I was lucky since Im stationed in South Korea and it didnt affect me, but if you are in the states your body will be approx. 12 hours off).

2) Be mindful of Mondays. A lot of museums and the like seem be closed on that day. I never did find out why, but just be aware of it as you begin to plan.

3) Get a JR Rail Pass! It may initially seem expensive, but if you want to see different parts of the country it will save you a ton of dough in the long run. Do some research and then do the math. Youll be amazed! Plus, it was a great feeling not having to worry about the hassle of buying tickets. All I did was show the gate my pass and I went on through to the Shinkansen (Bullet Train). Note: You have to pay for the rail pass BEFORE you get to Japan. They wont do it in country. Ive attached a picture of the Tokyo Station with a Shinkansen in the background.

4) Since you are into photography. Dont buy any expensive photo items (i.e. lens) in Tokyo. While the city may be the Mecca of camera gear, sadly their prices are much more expensive than in the states.

5) The best time to see Japan is in either the spring (Cherry Blossom time) or fall (leaves turning color). The weather is also optimal during those times (not too hot, not too cold).

6) Subway system is great. You can get to any part of Tokyo on the cheap and its efficient. I only required a taxi twice. Going to the hotel (from the bus point) and leaving the hotel (to the bus point). Oh dont take a taxi to or from the airport. It will cost over $200 for the trip! There are much cheaper alternatives (i.e. JR Express, airport bus, etc.).

7) Lastly, when it time to start shopping around from hotels and airfares I would suggest the package deals and by all means wait for a sale to pop up. I got both the package deal and waited for a sale and saved over $700 in the process.

Well, thats about it. If you have any additional questions feel free to ask.

Thanks for the advice!

I have traveled and lived internationally, so I know all about jet lag - tons of fun!

My friend has a friend that lives on base near Tokyo, so hopefully we can get a tour guide!

Do most people speak english, mainly in the city (not rural areas)?

I did some research, and it looks like Hong Kong is FAR more expensive than Tokyo.