RF7 vs KSP400

nuclearay

I went to the store to buy my RF7s today.

I had already compared the RF7s to a similarly priced DefTech model but came to the conclusion that I would get the 7s and purchase a sub (SVS?) later on -- then I found a pair of floor model KSP400s for $1600. They sound better (brighter,cleaner,crisper) than the DefTechs but still not as good as the 7s above the bass notes. Should I trade off the powered subs for a better sounding 7 and wait for the sub?!

I'm 50/50 HT/Music: HarmanKardon AVR8000 for power.

What say you Klipsch forum?

The RF-7s are the better speakers. The KSP-400s have powered subwoofers built in to the towers. The best place for a subwoofer is rarely the same as the best location for a full range speaker.

The RF-7s will sound much better all around than the KSP-400s when you put an RSW or SVS subwoofer with the RF-7s. The matching RC-7 is one of the best center channels out there. It is important to use a high quality, timbre matched center channel speaker for movies and TV. The matching center for the KSP-400s may not be easy to find.

Bill

Yep, I agree

If you're doing HT then you DO have to take into consideration all the other speakers involved as well. Are the Rc-7 and RS-7 superior to the KSP center and KSP-S6? Ask yourself, How would the etire system sound and not just the mains?

----------------

On 4/17/2004 1:56:04 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

The RF-7s are the better speakers. The KSP-400s have powered subwoofers built in to the towers. The best place for a subwoofer is rarely the same as the best location for a full range speaker.

The RF-7s will sound much better all around than the KSP-400s when you put an RSW or SVS subwoofer with the RF-7s. The matching RC-7 is one of the best center channels out there. It is important to use a high quality, timbre matched center channel speaker for movies and TV. The matching center for the KSP-400s may not be easy to find.

Bill

----------------

I'm just wondering if you've heard the Synergy Premiere system set up properly Bill.

Keith

I have listened to the Synergy line in stores which is less than ideal. Hence, you could say that they were not set up properly.

On the other hand, powered towers are difficult to set up ideally due to the powered subwoofers in each tower. I prefer a single subwoofer of substantial power, provided the room modes cooperate in the listening positions. In my experience, a single subwoofer ideally located is cleaner and tighter.

Bill

Theory/speculation are just that Bill. I would bet that in most cases where a sub is used in the home, optimal placement is hard to achieve. The KSP400's really do not need a sub. In fact, I would bet that most would think that the cost that they just paid for that expensive sub is not really worth the added result when using the KSP's.

I personally would not pay $1600 for the KSP400's that the member is talking about because I'm not too fond of the dealer that has them, and I don't think that they are worth $1600, although they would have a warranty and I do like that.

The matching speakers are easy to find in the usual places that one searches.

Keith

I'm with Keith here. Properly set-up, the KSP-400's are pretty outstanding IMHO. I had 300's and was pleased, but found a pair of 400's for $1100 used from a forum member and they are tremendous. I have heard RF-7's and they are great speakers, IMHO I think for the $$ the KSP-400's are tough to beat. I know another guy who has a set for sale and I think he would take $1200 or so for his. PM or e-mail me for his info. Keith is also right about finding a C-6 center, makes a ton of improvement too. I think there is one on audigon right now for $195.

Here is a pair of KSP-400's on Audiogon for $699 obo. Don't confuse these speakers with the present Synergy Series offerings as they are not in the same league! A timbre matched Synergy Premiere Series set up can sound incredible with all the matching speakers (ie. KSP-C6, KSP-S6) This system sold for like $5K or more when new about 4-5 years ago and can still hold its own.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1087171770

Keith -- it sounds like you have seen the same pair of speakers that I was talking about.

Frzninvt -- You just made my life miserable by finding those speakers on audiogon...

Now I have to reconsider everything.

What would a pair of RF7s sound like with a pair of KSP400s? I could stretch the budget to allow for this but would be skipping out on a center channel.

What a mess.

----------------

On 4/19/2004 9:57:44 AM nuclearay wrote:

Keith -- it sounds like you have seen the same pair of speakers that I was talking about.

Frzninvt -- You just made my life miserable by finding those speakers on audiogon...

Now I have to reconsider everything.

What would a pair of RF7s sound like with a pair of KSP400s? I could stretch the budget to allow for this but would be skipping out on a center channel.

What a mess.

----------------

Hey neighbor(Ray)! Yea, they've had them for several years. They had 2 new-in-box pair a year or two ago, wanted $2200 a pair for them. Too much for me, especially when Sound Advice in Florida was giving them away.

I would not use the Synergy Premiere's and the Reference together. Pick one or the other, whichever you like the sound of the best. What kind of room do you have? Large or small, open or closed walls, dedicated HT room or living room? Can you mount side surrounds high on a side wall, to the sides or slightly behind the listening position on the side wall? Planning on a 6.1 setup?

I have 5 KSP300's, a KSP-C6 center, and a pile of KSP-S6's. My room, living room, is 16W x 20L x 9 H and is no where near large enough to use all my speakers. If I had the room I would use a pair of KSP400's front L/R, a C-6 center (you'll understand what seamless means), both a pair of KSP300's and a pair of KSP-S6 side surrounds, and a C-6 or KSF-C5 for surround back. The latest 3805? Denon receiver would allow use of either pair of side surrounds or both at once. You would not believe the sound. I don't think the RF-7's and a single reference sub would best those at any price.

If you go to audition the speakers again, make note of the volume adjustment for the bass on the rear of the sub. Turn the bass all the way down, then turn the volume pot up, counting off about 11 clicks. Give that a listen and turn it up more to your preference. Many times people adjust the bass output too high which diminishes the upper output and then said person pronounces them 'muddy sounding'. If you buy them you can easily adjust them with a set up disc and an SPL meter.

Not to say that one pair of KSP400's and a matching center and surrounds would sound anything less than stellar. I gave a pair of KSP300's, a center and surrounds to my buddy and in his dedicated enclosed HT room the set up sounds fantastic. He quit bragging about his JBL's!

Whatever you decide, if I can help you just let me know. Good luck!

Keith

Thanks for the input Keith.

One way or the other it looks like I am going for a drive to buy some speakers. The local guy's prices are high, but, considering the location I don't guess I would budge on them either. But since I don't live in that part of town I actually have to shop around... and that is fine with me. Quite a fun journey actually.

Unfortunately, my room is going to be acoustically similar to $h*t. I will have to put the TV and main speakers in front of a large window. On the left side is a bedroom door and on the other is the opening to the kitchen. I honestly have no "corners" to speak of. On the opposite end of the TV where the couch will be -- behind that is an open formal dining room. Surrounds would have to go on the side walls. A guess at the dimensions?!? About 15' wide x 30' long and 14' ceilings. In other words lots of space to fill. This room will not be dedicated HT as it is the "living" room. Perhaps I will be living in front of my HT?!

I am going to see about the KSP400s and the center channel on audiogon. If things work out do you think you would want to come off of that "pile of KSP-S6's" you say you have.9.gif

A new crisis has me leaning towards the cheaper route: my ancient 27" proscan said "pop" recently, so now I am reluctantly starting that process. The WAF factor for a TV is much higher than the HT so maybe I will get lucky there.

Hey Ray. The S-6's are hard to find and I will probably keep what I have until something comes along that I want that warrants their sale. I may sell a pair of my KSP300's soon. I'm trying to decide that I don't need them.

The $195 for the C-6 will be a hard price to beat. I may be able to find you one if you decide that is what you want. Let me know if I can help.

My room is not ideal either. Too open to other rooms. As I spoke of earlier, my friends room with one pair of 300's sounds as good or better than the 2 pair of 300's in my room. I did try all 7 KSP300's in my room one time and it sounded pretty good. 2.gif

Keith

I know this is titled RF-7 vs KSP-400 but I'm curious; The only powered towers I've heard were a pair of Mirage OM-5s (250 watt RMS amp with dual 8" drivers for for the low end) Have any of you listened to these? If so what are your thoughts compared to KSP-400 or 300?