Reference vs. Synergy & Polk

slinky

Right now I'm auditioning a Polk Audio speakers (RTi6s with an CSi3 and two ordinary small surrounds) and a Denon 2801 receiver and they seem a bit dull although they do have this "heavy" thick sound that I can see audiophiles giving higher marks for. The wood veneer cabinet is beautiful, the bass is really heavy and kicking but the details seem to be missing in music to some noticeable extent. For home theatre the sound is sweet, easy on the ears, but again, seems missing "detail" and speech isn't so clear as I think it should be. I was hoping to spend around $400-700 on a good new set of speakers, a center, and potentially a cheap sub or none at all (I'm in an apt. and virtually unable to use it.) FWIW, I think the Polks are dull but sweet sounding for movies. I would think that the Klipsch should really shine with dialogue in movies. Music is more detailed.

So, I look once again at the Klipsch that I felt moved by. I love the clarity of the Klipsch sound which seems to make the sound "alive" -- but I seem to be having a big problem finding a good 6.5" bookshelf speaker that is comparable to the others I have seen, including these Polks. I looked at the RB-25, which seems to be "comparable" to the ones I have.

A couple of things worry me. The RB-25s are more costly than the Polks and (1) They are only 75 Watts!! (2) Don't go as deep, 50Hz versus 40Hz for the Polk and sound a little thinner(3) they aren't real wood veneer but vinyl (4) use magnets for the covers which I hear may rattle at certain frequencies (5) weigh half as much as the Polks. The RB-35s are bigger and certainly come with a MUCH higher price going from 6.5" to 8".

I saw Synergy series at Best Buy but I wonder about the quality difference versus the Reference and it seems to be large. Even the largest Synergy series speakers do not have the frequency response of the Reference. This seems to be a no go and worth it to go to the Reference for the extra money.

So I'm worried about the build quality of the Reference series, wonder if there is something else out or coming out. Additionally, I'm somewhat new to buying new speakers and want to hear your opinions. One of the guys in the store (J&R) think the Polks are far better and don't care for the RB-25 although there may be a number of reasons for this besides his "more balanced sound overall." But the bottom line is that I do like the Klipsch clarity. Looking for your help...

The reason for the 75 watt handling is that Klipsch speakers have a higher sensitivity. (Louder per watt) Bookshelf speakers aren't made to hit low. Who cares about about what covers it. Magnets will be fine. The BO$E Accostimass or whatever weighs more than a ProMedia 5.1 sub, but get absolutely frickin' owned by the ProMedia sub. (Which is a work of art for its price.) Weight don't really matter that much.

----------------

On 4/17/2004 7:50:06 PM hooting_monkey wrote:

The reason for the 75 watt handling is that Klipsch speakers have a higher sensitivity. (Louder per watt) Bookshelf speakers aren't made to hit low. Who cares about about what covers it. Magnets will be fine.

----------------

If that were true then the RB-35 and the lower line Synergy Series wouldn't blow away the RB-25 wattage at 125 and 100 watts respectively.

Additionally, bookshelf speakers are made to be as full bodied as possible and are far better than sattelites.

Anyone will care about what covers their speakers if they result in rattling at higher volumes and at certain frequencies.

Also the Klipsch not only have a higher sensitivity, but they sound brighter due to horns instead of traditional type tweeters etc.. I don't know much about Polk but they aren't horn loaded right? I would go with the Reference series, but that's just me :) I own Legends but really like the Reference line.

----------------

On 4/17/2004 8:24:45 PM hooting_monkey wrote:

Well you must have a box of corn flakes covering your speakers. Vinyl is not gonna cause a rattle. If it would cause a rattle Klipsch wouldn't have put it on the speakers would they.

----------------

Read some of the posts on audioreview. It seems it's the design deisgn flaw of the reference series bookshelfs, unfortunately several state the same regarding the more expensive RB-35.

Ok, I had a small pair of Polk RT-1's for my rear surrounds and now have a set of RB-15's in their place until I can fill my set up in with Heritage units. The Klipsch have more presence, better clarity, they definitely announce their presence much better. They are a lot more efficient and have much greater detail. All around the Klipsch put comparable Polk into the also ran column. I do like Polks equipment but IMHO Klipsch is a much more versatile speaker and I believe they sound much better. Again this is my opinion but having had both Ill stay with the Klipsch!!!! This is a glowing endorsement given the woofer issue I had with Klipsch when my right one fell onto the floor, but yeah go with the Klipsch. They are really more noticeable on multichannel music than the Polks ever hoped to be and their HT performance speaks for itself. Absolutely no rattle from the grill covers.

Do yourself a favor and get the Klipsch and try to get an affordable subwoofer to go along with them. Klipsch is about detail and once you've combined their nice mids and highs with a good bottom you'll get the idea. Sure it will cost more but you want to be happy about your purchase without looking back, don't you?

It's all in the dynamics. With that set up the Polks will take a back burner to the Klipsch. I know because I own a few Polk speakers even though I'm a big RF-7 fan and long time Klipsch user. Try to get a sub in your house for a trial with the speakers you are looking at. It can't hurt especially if you can return them. You have to give your ears a chance to take in that full bodied flavor and use the gift of credit cards God gave to man. 9.gif Good Luck.

I've got a friend in Washington State who was looking at the Polk RTi line, since his wife has given the OK to have those in the living room (they do look very nice - good WAF). He told me of his situation, so I went to my local dealer (who carries both lines), so I could give him an informed opinion; he did the same in his area, and we compared notes. All sizes of each line were compared against each other.

The Klipsch Reference series towers had it ALL OVER the Polks. It wasn't even close. If you pair the Polks with a GOOD subwoofer (and that is most certainly NOT a Polk - we both tried the Klipsch RSW 12), you can get good sound from the Polk RTi's. The bass on the Polk towers (without a sub) quite frankly, stink.

My friend then took his wife and obtained her approval on the Klipsch Reference in Cherry, and he's currently shopping prices on these. So at least in our opinion, the Klipsch wins.

----------------

On 4/18/2004 8:54:17 AM Audible Nectar wrote:

The Klipsch Reference series towers had it ALL OVER the Polks. It wasn't even close. If you pair the Polks with a GOOD subwoofer (and that is most certainly NOT a Polk - we both tried the Klipsch RSW 12), you can get good sound from the Polk RTi's. The bass on the Polk towers (without a sub) quite frankly, stink.... So at least in our opinion, the Klipsch wins.

----------------

Which reference series speakers were you looking at? I was looking at the bookshelves (although I'm thinking maybe I should just find a way to get a lower end tower with a 6.5") They really vary by model number greatly.

The Polk RTi6 is a really heavy speaker. It has better clarity than I thought now after using it for a while. I hear new things I didn't hear before. Very cool. Still, while people say they always know they are listening to a system with a Klipsch, I don't necessarily agree -- I think I'm always listening to a sound system with the POlks because they feel so laid back and not enveloping. I was just bowled over by the Klipsch feel of surround. Weird.

The concern is several fold. Klipsch raising the mids makes me wonder about ear fatigue and I have sensitive ears. People also complain about sibilance, the harshness of the high end.

After giving these Polks an audition and liking them to a certain degree, LOVING the build (I'm wondering how Klipsch builds their speakers now and it is distressing that you can spend $750 and still get vinyl), I'm still not bowled over by the sound presence. That may just get me yet. But I wish Klipsch put out an RB-25 that could handle a receiver with a lot more than 75 watts. Makes me wonder about blowing these speakers out perhaps.

I did get the Polks at a great price. $570 bought me a pair of RTi6s (6.5 bookshelf wood veneer), CSI3 center (same), and a PSW202 subwoofer, which is hard to beat! I'll have to think about spending a bit more if I'm going Klipsch, although people have mentioned Ascend Acoustics if I can find and listen...

When the Polk/Klipsch comparisons were made, it was similar sizes aginst similar sizes, similar prices against similar prices.......every comparison we could make, we did.....all the way up and down the line. Mains, surrounds, centers, you name it. I had access to both full lines (up to the RTi10 in Polk - bigger towers not in) - smaller models in one room, bigger models in a higher end room, and I felt the Klipsch did better in every case. As stated previously, I did feel the Polks were better when they were not asked to play sub-100 hz bass, and paired with a quality subwoofer.

I do agree that the Polk cabinets are VERY NICE, the salesman showed the cabs/bracing, and a good solid feel all the way around. Klipsch, OTOH, puts the money where it really counts - in the drivers. And as the previous poster said, if you want both good cabs and good drivers - buy the Heresys. You'll have 'em long enough to give 'em to your children.

As for "harshness", yes, it's true - the Klipsch are quality enough to show just how good (or bad) your electronics are. You'll notice something around here: Folks only upgrade thier speakers to a point on this forum, and they go no further. What you will see, however, is the upgrading of the electronics that are hooked up to them. This is because these people HAVE the speakers they want - it is simply a matter of feeding them the proper diet to make them shine. THAT'S where the real upgrade begins. With Klipsch, it's garbage in, garbage out. Feed 'em garbage, they sound.....like garbage. Feed 'em a healthy diet of quality electronics and software, and you'll get more than your money's worth.

Hope you enjoy the Polks. If you change your mind, you know where to find us1.gif

----------------

On 4/18/2004 10:59:58 AM Audible Nectar wrote:

When the Polk/Klipsch comparisons were made, it was similar sizes aginst similar sizes, similar prices against similar prices.......As stated previously, I did feel the Polks were better when they were not asked to play sub-100 hz bass, and paired with a quality subwoofer.

----------------

Interesting. I thought the Polks were better sub-100 hz bass but were sort of "dull" and "lifeless" in the upper ranges. Thankfully I bought from Circuit City and have another few days to break in or they go back to the store. ;)

----------------

I do agree that the Polk cabinets are VERY NICE, the salesman showed the cabs/bracing, and a good solid feel all the way around. Klipsch, OTOH, puts the money where it really counts - in the drivers. And as the previous poster said, if you want both good cabs and good drivers - buy the Heresys. You'll have 'em long enough to give 'em to your children.

----------------

I was just wondering how much money it really takes to put some real wood on there and one would think it would be available at some reasonable level. Klipsch doesn't provide this at all. Additionally, I'm shocked that their 6.5" bookshelf is only rated at 75 watts which is really pitiful. I know that they are more efficient but it's so ridiculous when the "matching" speakers are a center at 125 watts and sub at over 200.

----------------

are. You'll notice something around here: Folks only upgrade thier speakers to a point on this forum, and they go no further. What you will see, however, is the upgrading of the electronics that are hooked up to them. This is because these people HAVE the speakers they want - it is simply a matter of feeding them the proper diet to make them shine. THAT'S where ----------------

That's the best point I've heard so far and one of the reasons why I was wondering about my investment and, as reluctant as I am to really spend, perhaps making the one time investment is not such a bad idea. I'll have to see if my ears can handle the Klipsch at extended listening times and that may have to wait for the weekend, including deciding whether I think the Polks are still as lifeless as they sort of are now.... Thanks.

"That's the best point I've heard so far and one of the reasons why I was wondering about my investment and, as reluctant as I am to really spend, perhaps making the one time investment is not such a bad idea."

If audio means anything to you, it is ALWAYS worthwhile to spend extra on the speakers - as much as your budget will allow. Do this right, and your ears will be happy for YEARS. Do it wrong (which always is discovered when you hear someone else's better system), and you will be right back here again, having the same conversation, and spending your money twice.

Good speakers are always worth the trouble to procure. I spent three-plus years tracking down the speakers I really want, mostly by way of this forum, and I consider myself "set for life" in that department. I'll keep 'em forever. Taking three years to do it also saved me immense sums of money, because I could be patient and wait for the right opportunity to come along. So don't rush this.......take your time, be informed, make sure you are happy with what you buy. Then your money will be much better spent.

No where else can you get more performance for the dollar than putting that money into good speakers. That's one place that spending more will yield results.

As for the wattage ratings, it's not really important here. My Cornwalls are rated for 100 watts continous power, but after hearing them, the last thing you would ever ask is how much power they can handle. They handle enough, believe me.

i happen to have compared a polk tower series speaker to a klipsch tower series speaker to convey the benefits of speaker efficiency as it relates to performance...

basically they are similarly priced models, and the klipsch plays louder w/32 w.p.c. vs. 256 w.p.c. for the polk...

more efficient(at ANY volume level)means less distortion and BETTER sound.

score another one for Klipsch!!

avman.