HT centered on a corner?

fini

Has anyone here tried putting the TV in the corner, and arranging the speakers off that centerline? I'm guessing imaging will suffer, but I have such a weird area in my open floor plan (family room/dining room/kitchen) serving as a quasi-home theater, that I am considering it. The KSP-400's will be closer to the sweet spot than the C6, but I guess I can make adjustments in the Denon's set-up menu. The major drag is moving all the "cordage"...

cordage_1.jpg

----------------

On 4/18/2004 4:46:59 PM T2K wrote:

What are those pretty red and blue interconnects you have there fini?

Keith

----------------

Nothing sonically special or expensive. Goes with my outfit.

Great looking cordage! I had my HT set up by the guy I bought it from at Tweeters. For $100 on the side, he came out and set it all up for me. Took about 5 hours running wires under the room in the crawl space, up through the floor, etc. I wouldn't know where to begin if I had to move it all. If I ever upgrade my DVD player, I'm in trouble. The TV weighs over 200lbs and sits on my custom built cabinet. Wires are all tied, etc. I do eventually want a Progressive Scan DVD/SACD/DVD-A all-in-one unit. I guess that's the day I'll throw a forum party!9.gif

BTW Fini,

I have no idea how a corner HT would sound. Sorry. I got carried away.2.gif

Keith,

The cables are some I talked about here about 2 years ago. I got them at accessories4less. I think they're mainly for car audio. Here's the 1-1/2 foot version:

http://www.accessories4less.com/Amazing/itemdesc.asp?CartId=14521954-EVEREST-KGUXY83&ic=ATS%2DGACT%2E5&cc=&tpc=

I don't think they carry the red ones anymore. They're cheap short AR cables (L,R,Video, 2 pair) I'm using between the DVD player and the Denon, for DVD-A.

doudou,

The subs are built into the KSP-400's, so they won't be in the corners. The room ia far from square or symetrical (with a sloping ceiling, to boot). I doubt I will have problems with standing waves.

interesting concept....but it seems the center sound may be reinforced...

So stereo separation may become an issue Kind like putting speakers in large funnel and then you sit in middle....it would be hard to have good separation........

Got floor plan.....?

or Got milk? hehehehe

Fini -

I did the corner thingy for a bit and had some less than pleasing results, especially for HT. The problem seemed to be with the forward positioning of the front speakers - your situation may keep that from being an issue. The other is I had a hard time trying to figure out what to do with the sides. I constantly was fiddling with trying to get a consistent sweet spot.

Two channel was easier (as expected), but I have often found that I like the speakers near or in corners, so I never could get the sound I expected.

However - if asthetics and comfort for the family had been the primary consideration, I would have been OK with it. Also - at the time I did not have reciever that could deal with delay and level as well as the Denon.

As 3dZapper would say - I think I just gave you the liberal answer.

fini-

having dealt w/this issue MANY times on installs my best advice is switch to a Yamaha receiver that has 'front effects' speaker outputs, and place them(some type of 'bookshelf' speaker or even flush-mount inwall/in ceiling) to the left and right extremes,up high, of your front 'soundstage' this will make your setup sound like the front L,R speakers are further apart than corner placement will allow.

JMO-

avman.

EDIT:

also 6.1 would be a good rear surround setup for this type of situation.

Henry,

I think "aesthetics and comfort" (in addition to the prospect of sitting in a chair that actually faces the screen) will indeed win out over sonic perfection for this space. Obviously, any time you have such a multi-use living space one must compromise. I will give it a go and tell you how it works out. I will also get a jpeg of the floor plan up here so y'all can more easily visualize the room.

fini,

I have a system that is more or less in the corner. My TV is a 53 inch big screen, so the systen is a bit farther out. The RF-7s are about nine feet apart and are slightly towed in. I like the ability to get behind the gear to work on the cables. (My receiver has just under 50 conncetions.)

I use a Pioneer receiver that does acoustical room correction. I run the RF-7s as small with a crossover at 80Hz. I take flack for the small setting. Some folks say it is a waste. My view is that the bass is much cleaner.

The theater sounds very good IMO, but would sound better with a rearrangement of the room. The corner opposite the RF-7s gets a significant bass boost. When I retire, I may do the rearrangement. I will have to sell my Browning safe and run cable for my sattelite receiver. Unfortunately, there will be no easy solution for the surrounds.

Bill

PS: I like AV's recommendation. The Yammies also have room correction that they call YPAO. B

avman,

Yes, I read it! Thanks for the professional opinion! Unfortunately, I am stuck with the Denon, as Ultimate HT is not a top priority, and don't have the budget for a new receiver.

here's a pic. sorry, it's kind of blurry. The SF-2's are in front, SF-1's behind out of sight, JBL PB-12 sub at the end of the couch and SC-1 underneath the tv. This configuration gave me the best sound for what I have to work with. everyone that seems to come over seems to think it kicks ***, so I'm satisfied.

post-10107-138192540919_thumb.jpg

well,if a different receiver isn't practical,try to get the L,R fronts placed as far apart from each other as you sit back from them.i.e:10 ft. back/10ft.apart.

play w/toe-in/out to get a good 'sound stage',and use a single center rear,along w/side surrounds,for your 'backside'2.gif

hope this helps12.gif

avman.