Is DVD Dolby Digital 5.1?

Hard 21

----------------

On 4/18/2004 3:54:02 PM Hard 21 wrote:

Some DVD's have DD on back and 5.1, others only have DD.

Do these that only have DD on them do the effects of the 5.1?
----------------

Dolby Digital is the name of the encoding process used for the audio channels... So if it just has DD on the label it could be 2.0 or 5.1 or anything in between. To make sure you're getting all of the discrete channels, it should say DD 5.1 or Dolby Digital 5.1.

I have about 250 DVD's (I live overseas and stock up everything I'm back in the states). Many say "DD", but are actually 5.1 sound. I guess it's a bit of a gamble, but I haven't bought any DVD's that didn't have at least one 5.1 option (all have DD 5.1, many also have DTS).

DD 5.1 is from DOLBY LABS inc and is one type of audio compression

DTS is from a DTS inc and is a different type of audio compression...

both companies work with the movie industry....

Check each website for more info

I prefer DTS sound tracks...but that is me

----------------

On 4/19/2004 10:07:01 PM ygmn wrote:

I prefer DTS sound tracks...but that is me

----------------

We had a thread a while ago about the DTS track on Pirates of the Caribbean. I was very disappointed with the sound. Very weak effects.

Two things came out of that thread. Someone mentioned that the DD 5.1 sounded much better than the DTS, & I confirmed that on my disk. Many others said the DTS sound track was awesome. Even different magazines had opposing opinions. Turns out, there were 2 different pressings of the disk, & half (like mine) got a bad DTS track. A good example is on track 11, the cannon shots sound like pop guns on DTS, but shake the room on DD 5.1.

Point is, I learned to play both the DD 5.1 & the DTS to see which is better.

Actually, the whole disk sounds weak on the DTS setting, not just the one chapter. I just used that one chapter for an example.

The article I read about the 2 different pressings did not identify who was who, other than there were 2 different pressings. It was written after a number of complaints about the sound were received. I just looked & cant find the article. Probably could have been bad news for the publishers of the bad version. I should have saved it.

The Pirates of the Caribbean reference is the first I've heard of a bad pressing (in DTS or DD). I've read DTS is less compressed and generally has better sound. I've compared in several movies and couldn't conclude that either was consistently better.

Also a reference above that Dolby Digital could be Dolby Pro-logic. This shouldn't be the case, but I've found some of these myself (all older movies). I've assumed the boxes were mis-labeled, but that didn't make me any more happy about it.

DTS has a larger dynamic range(about 120 dB) than the Dolby digital(100 dB if i remember well).

so with DD the loudest sound should be 100dB versus 120dB with the DTS.

it seems to be the only difference on quality.if most people don t notice the difference it s because we don t often watch a movie so loud, and if we do the 120 d peak is not reach very often(only with some special effects like explosions,...)

----------------

On 4/19/2004 10:27:45 PM Thors1982 wrote:

Just cause a DVD says Dolby Digital does not mean its 5.1, could be 2.0, but in general most of the time it is 5.1.

In fact just because it says Dolby Digital doesn't even mean its Dolby digital, could be Pro-Logic.

----------------

dolby digital is dolby digital not pro logic. two different balls of wax. if it is dolby digital it is 5.1. If it is 2.0 then it it is pro logic. Just because it has DD on it does not mean it it is dolby digital. It is just dolby (the companies) symbol. one forward d then one backward d. i found a link to decribe the difference.

http://dolby.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/dolby.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=Pq7LDl9h&p_lva=&p_faqid=136&p_created=1015027785&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NzcmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=

to see if the disc has 5.1. i would believe that would be wrtten on the box, I don't really pay attention. i thought all dvd's a least with movies made now days. were in 5.1. now older movies may not be unless digitally remastered