Car Audio - Check This Out

Vital

Pioneer TS-A6999 6"x9" Compression Horn Speakers

Pioneer TS-A6999 For years, recording studios and live sound systems have used monitor speakers with compression horn drivers because they offer amazingly clear sound quality at high volumes. Now, these compression horn drivers from Pioneer bring this technology to your vehicle with the TS-A6999 3-way 6"x9" speakers.

The speaker's design compresses sound in the horn's throat area which creates more air pressure. This leads to higher SPL and the result is better efficiency (and a louder speaker). The horn shape controls the direction of the sound, for wide dispersion off your rear window.

The TS-A6999 speakers combine the dazzling highs of the compression horn tweeter with the kicking bass response of the foamed IMPP woofer and a compression horn supertweeter for high-fidelity, high-volume sound!

Key Features:

foamed IMPP woofer with rubber surround

compression horn midrange with 1" titanium diaphram

compression horn tweeter with 1/2" titanium diaphram

frequency response 25-35,000 Hz

recommended power range 2-60 watts RMS

peak power handling 240 watts

sensitivity 92 dB

top-mount depth 3-3/8"

1-year warranty

I am very interested in hearing these. I'll be out looking for them at my local car audio shops this week to have a listen.

My 1988 Cerwin Vega CS-18A's have a horn compression tweeter and a resetable protection circuit as well. These are quite possibly the best 6X9's ever produced. Wide coated woven cloth surrounds that will never rot, cast aluminum frames, 8lb magnet structure and a 1 1/2" voice coil. These old battleships are hard to beat, and nothing that CV offers today can even come close. These things can generate a good amount of bass for thier size.

The only other 6X9 that could even compare to the CV CS-18A were the T-545's from JBL that have recently been reissued as the T-575's Anniversary editions if I am not mistaken. A company called Magnum Professionals also made some tremendous 6X9's back in the 80's, I happen to have a pair new in the cartons that I used just briefly, they are woofers only though.

These were designed before the advent of automotive subwoofers and most of the bass was generated by the 6X9's in the rear decks of cars.

I would love to find a pair of the even older Cerwin Vega CS-15's someday which were a tremendous 6X9 as well.

Here is a shot of the magnet structure on the back of the cast aluminum frame. If you come across a pair of these they are certainly worth getting. They are obviously no longer in production these babies were made in the USA, not the foreign junk being peddled these days.

----------------

On 4/21/2004 6:09:52 AM Bill H. wrote:

On the Crutchfield site this model was the closetest I could find.

Pioneer TS-A6960R

----------------

i just looked crutchfield does not carry this type of 6X9 anymore, i was just saying that pioneer has had that type of speaker for a while. I was wondering how they sound at the time.

i have the 6 3/4" version of this speaker... the difference is the woofer size and no horn midrange, only a large tweeter about the size of that midrange. the highs are very crisp and clear... midrange lacks so i think the 6x9 version would be a lot better. midbass isnt that bad either. i wanted the 6x9 last summer when i was buying speakers for my car. but i would have had to modify the rear deck to install them. pioneer speakers are pretty good... i like infinity kappa series more.

----------------

On 4/21/2004 7:40:00 AM Frzninvt wrote:

My 1988 Cerwin Vega CS-18A's have a horn compression tweeter and a resetable protection circuit as well. These are quite possibly the best 6X9's ever produced. Wide coated woven cloth surrounds that will never rot, cast aluminum frames, 8lb magnet structure and a 1 1/2" voice coil. These old battleships are hard to beat, and nothing that CV offers today can even come close. These things can generate a good amount of bass for thier size.

The only other 6X9 that could even compare to the CV CS-18A were the T-545's from JBL that have recently been reissued as the T-575's Anniversary editions if I am not mistaken. A company called Magnum Professionals also made some tremendous 6X9's back in the 80's, I happen to have a pair new in the cartons that I used just briefly, they are woofers only though.

These were designed before the advent of automotive subwoofers and most of the bass was generated by the 6X9's in the rear decks of cars.

I would love to find a pair of the even older Cerwin Vega CS-15's someday which were a tremendous 6X9 as well.

----------------

I HEAR 'YA FREEZIN!!!

man-you really turned back the clock for me.

i had the cs-15's,which were stolen and subsequently replaced w/cs-18a's...

i had EPI's in the front doors(with the inverted 'dhorm' tweeter), the CV's in the back deck, a LTD(limited)series KEX50 pioneer supertunerIII head unit(no power-strictly a pre-amp/cassette)a 7-band pioneer passive EQ,and two pioneer GM120 amplifiers,one for the EPI's, and one for the CV's.

there are people who i knew casually then who after 20+years still remember me for my car audio system!

no sub needed!

keep in mind this was before 'every' teen had a kikin'car audio system.

you are also right about the JBL's-they are the closest thing to the good 'ol CV's.

thanks,freezin'10.gif9.gif

avman.1.gif

Nice the KEX-50!, did you have the Pioneer CD-5 or CD-7? The CD-7 had the echo/time delay on it and the CD-5 did not. I had the KEX-20, the KEX-50 had not come out yet when I purchased mine. I had a GM-40 for the 4" Jensen Coax II's that were mounted in the pillars in my pickup and I had the CV's mounted in the doors. Those Pioneer component systems were extremely clean sounding, you could take it to full volume without any real audible distortion if it was a good recording.

My friend had the KEX-65 with two GM-120's and four CS-18A's in the rear deck of his '80 Trans Am that thing had some bass! Cutting those extra 6X9 holes in that thing was quite the job.

I also remember when Alpine came out with their first car component systems, the 7307 Cassette Deck, they also had a variety of Eq's and offered an add on "true" time delay plug in box for the Eq's. It was alot more pricey than the Pioneer stuff. Back then components were not interchangeable Pioneer, Alpine and Kenwood all had their own proprietary type DIN connectors. It was not until sometime later that they started using the RCA inputs.

my eq was the CD7.i had my car in a dealership being repaired,the dealer went out of buisiness WHILE my car was there,and that is when the first system was stolen.i got full retail from my insurance co.,then took the money to the store where i got the first system,and the salesman i always dealt with gave me such a good deal i was able to upgrade to the system i described above.the one thing they didn't steal was 1-gm120-i had bolted it thru the floor,bent the ends of the bolts,AND re-installed the passenger seat on top of it!

i know about the DIN plugs,so i had to go all pioneer,but i didn't mind because it REALLY sounded GREAT!

BTW-the car was a black and gold 1979 Dodge R/T w/E-58 option police 360 cu.in. V-8 (based on the Aspen body)and it had an 'opera-house-like' curve to the rear window glass,so it really projected the sound forward!

thanks again,

avman.9.gif