Cornwall Set Up

johnfii

Gary---It seems you take it as religious faith that a HT receiver can't sound as good as a rebuilt Scott. But you've no experience with the receiver in question, have you?

Whereas I've heard a great deal of tube stuff over many horn systems, including my own, the past several years. And I've owned a couple of rebuilt Fisher tube amps and heard other rebuilt Scotts besides those rebuilt by your pal, he isn't the only fella that does Scotts you know. And there are people that use Scotts and horns besides the fellas here.

So when I say I think my Denon sounds pretty good I think my statement is reasonable, it's an informed opinion. Naturally you're entitled to your preferences but to dismiss, out of hand, something you've never heard, is kind'a unreasonable.

However had you heard my Denon and then dismissed it, well then I'd have no argument.

Well Gary - since I agreed with Tom, I'll step back in for a bit.

I do not intend to discredit your ear, too much to each his own.

I have tried various and listened to most mentioned here. I like quite a few SS very well and think that my Denon 3802 is one of the best mixed use (HT and 2 channel) that I have listened to in the comparative price range (say $900 to $1800). All tubes (including our much admired Scotts) have a really softer sound (that is as good as I can call it). Decent tube amplification is my choice for vinyl. The SS is my preference for well recorded CDs - especially the very dynamic orchestral stuff.

To my ear - this is a 'hand's down' winning combination. I really don't expect it to be everyone's.

However, I think that the SS bashing that goes on here at times is a bit undeserved and want new folks to listen to both before prejudging their ears.

I have editied this post. It seems that my toungue-in-cheek posts of Saturday, April 24th here and immediately below(which I will also edit), may have caused some embarassment to one of our forum members, GaryMD. If so, then I would like to take this time to apologize and retract the original postings. I am sorry, Gary! It was not my intent to do anything to make you look foolish or anything else of a derogatory nature!

Sometimes we (myself included) forget that what we type cannot include the inflections of a voice or the facial expressions used when people are conversing with each other on the phone or in person. Therefore, what is typed may come out much differently in perception by readers than it would come out in regular conversation. What I had written was primarily in jest in the two posts. It was particularly unwise of me to not notice after I had posted this particular one that while I was writing it, two more posts showed up ahead of this one in which the situation at hand had been corrected.

I had no intention of doing anybody any harm, I assure you all!

And, NO...nobody has to kiss each other and make-up!

9.gif

Now, back to the subject at hand: One option our new forum member has is to first get his non-functioning tweeter fixed, then opt for something inexpensive to power his Cornwalls well while he takes his time and tries out different, more costly, options for them in the near future. It is a shame to feel a need to jump into something in a rush, when one can get something inexpensively that will provide good performance with Cornwalls immediately. This option would allow him to take his time and do a number of comparisons while stil being able to enjoy the Cornwalls at home. It will also give him a benchmark of performance to evaluate the final purchase against. Therefore, I suggest he pick up an old H/K 430 for now. He can always get out of it what he pays for it...likely even more...when the time comes that he has made his FINAL decision on what he deems to be his ULTIMATE-performing power source for use with them. Just a suggestion!

I also aquired my dad's '79 Cornwalls (Andy-built), which I've always loved since the first time I heard them! I've enjoyed using SS amplification throughout the years (many different models from Technics, Pioneer, SAE, Carver, and Adcom), but to my ears, the best sound came from the classic McIntosh MC2100 and MC250 power amps with their patented Autoformers. I owned a newer direct-coupled McIntosh MC7200 that sounded okay with the Cornwalls, but the Macs with their output autoformers had a much smoother, open sound much akin to tube amps. If you audition any McIntosh SS power amp, I'd suggest you pay close attention to their amps with autoformers! Many forum members also use Macs with their Klipsch, SS or tube driven!

I'm in the process of aquiring my first tube amp, an 8 watt SET using 300B output tubes, just to hear this so-called SET magic tubeheads like to talk about. I tried my brother's JoLida JD 202A 40 watt PP tube integrated for a short time that sold me on vacuum tube amplification for my system. To my ears, I like the overall characteristics that tubes present to my Cornwalls, colored or not. It may or may not be accurate, but I like what I hear so far. I'm also on my second tube preamp, and I'm very much impressed with the dynamic, life-like sound it reproduces!

We design our sound systems to our ears and what sounds best to us. Of course what sounds good to me may or may not sound good to you, so all I can say is try different topologies and hear what sounds the most life-like to you. You may prefer a SS Kenwood or a Mark Levinson, or a classic harman/kardon. Then again, a vacuum tubed McIntosh MC225 or MC30 monoblocks, or an integrated H.H. Scott, Fisher, or EICO may get your attention. Maybe these new Chinese tube amps from Dared, Ming-Da, Antique Sound Lab, or Cayin might peak your interest. You can get different opinions from us, but ultimately your ears will be the judge.

Listen!

----------------

On 4/24/2004 6:55:06 PM jt1stcav wrote:

I might have some tube steaks tonight for dinner, but I won't go around sniffing 'em!

Hot dogs, gentlemen...hot dogs!
4.gif

----------------

Yeah, right... That would explain the dirty knees on your pants the other day! 3.gif6.gif

I apologize to the any on the forum (in particular, GaryMD)for any of my seemingly problem-causing original posts in this thread...I assure you all that my intent was just toungue-in-cheek "buddy-to-buddy ribbing" in those. See my previous posts here which have been edited-over this morning.

Now, let's get back to the business of helping this new guy to the forum out in his quest for audio Nirvana with his wonderful "family heirloom" Cornwalls! 2.gif