What power amp runs your horns? Monarchy Amps!

JJJeffries

McIntosh MC352. Lots of power (350WPS, THD .005 maximum @ any power level from 250 MILLIWATTS to rated power per channel from 20-20k. Intermodulation distortion .005 max if instantaneous peak output per channel does not exceed TWICE the rated output 20-20k) and for SS is closest to tube sounding from what I have been told. Think it's the autoformers but maybe others can answer better than I. Of course a lot of folks will argue no way SS can sound tube like. Either way I love this amp.

hoggy

Actualy, I sent one of my Monarchys to mobile homeless so he could do a Monarchy SM-70 review (click the link to open his review in a new browser window).

I first bought a single SM-70 and liked the amp so much I bought a second one to run as monoblocks and to take advantage of their 'balanced' option. I had them hooked up to the Monarchy Model 33 preamp/dac. I eventually sold one of the Monarchys and the Model 33 to help finance the purchase of my Moondogs.

I still have one Monarchy left that I use as a backup if I need to perform some type of maintance on my Horus amps.

I'm using an Aragon 2004 Mk II for my KG 3.2s.

This is just a very clean and smooth sounding amp with excellent imaging and soundstaging capabilities most likely due to it's dual mono design, and only 100 watts p/c @ 8 ohms.

One other thing I love about this amp is the way it looks. It has that huge "V" groove going down the right side of it on the top, and the super thick front panal. Also, this thing runs extremely cool at all times!

ok, get yer drool buckets handy, cause when you see what I'm drivin' my big ol' horns with, the slobber will be slung: A Panasonic SA-HE200 receiver. That's right, a sub-$400 A/V receiver! And it sounds danged fine.

Now that I've completely obliterated whatever audiophile standing I may have had remaining around here, let me expand: My Pioneer Elite VSX55TXi, which would be powering the horns were it not STILL(!!!) in the shop, really has little more in the way of audiophile cajones than the lowly Panasonic anyway. It (the Pioneer) set me back $1125, while the Panny was merely $320 from J&R. And, call me crazy, deaf or just plain silly, but I swear that the extra features of the Pioneer (acoustic calibration, better x/o and time delay, etc. not withstanding, the Panny sounds as good or perhaps better than the big Elite receiver.

The conventional wisdom seems to be the big horns are ultra sensitive to amplification differences. IOW, cheap solid-state need not apply. In my experience, yes, they are sensitive to amplification differences, but the main thing to beware of is amp noise and distortion. This, the horns will mercilessly expose. And this, the Pioneer and Panasonic receivers do not have. Is the sound hard or forward? I dunno. It ain't lush or laid back; that's for sure. It sounds good to me. What you hear is what you get!

JDM---Good fer you. I admire a fella that defies convention and comes to his own conclusions. It's my experience that electronics have become pretty much a done deal and that one can get excellent amplification very cheap.

And the nature of Khorns is that they sound good driven by damn near any amps. The formidable virtues of the speaker will overcome most flaws in the amplification.

Serious auditions, in my home, with the same equipment and the same music, for EnjoyTheMusic.com with my classic Klipsch corner Khorns and review loudspeakers (currently Aperion 522D powered towers) includes these amplifiers:

One) $150, 48-pound, 70s, solid-state, Class A, 22-watt (@ .0001 THD, 60-watt max.), Pioneer M-22 dual-monoblock amplifier; accurate, clean, powerful control of the bass

Two) FREE, Wifes vintage solid-state Nikko receiver; very smooth sounding, with good bass control

Three) $550, custom Bottlehead 2A3 Paramour tube monoblocks; wonderful mid-range and high tone with big ole horns

Four) FREE, vintage solid-state harmon/kardon 330B receiver; fantastic for the price with classic Klipsch corner Khorns

Five) review equipment, currently 85-watt Roksan Caspian integrated solid-state amplifier; elegant with remote control

IMO, one of the best performing amps for Khorns are the vintange Heathkit W5Ms (~25W/ch) - preferably reworked with modern parts (nothing special) with original irons (no changes to the circuit other than increased voltage rating on two of the electrorytic caps).

I get different sound from a Bel Canto SET 40 (~35W/ch SET) and the HK Citation II (60w/ch PP) but for everyday listening, it's hard to beat properly working W5Ms.

You can get them for around $200 ea. in decent shape, maybe less on ebay.