Cornwalls - COR

Budman

Well...the company sold them raw in oak or any veneer if the order was sent in to the company in those days. Now that oiled finish is no longer provided by Klipsch as an option, I would imagine that if somebody wanted an oil finish and was willing ot do it himself, or have somebody else do it, then the company would sell them raw to him so he could do it. Generally speaking, though, oak ones were sent out standard either oiled finish or laquer finish back in 1981, so I imagine this pair were special-ordered. As a matter of fact, I would bet in order to get oak to begin with in 1981, it had to be a special order...black walnut was the most often made back then. Oak just wasn't as hot an item in 1981 as it is today! Neither was cherry! Fads change...black walnut will be the preferred wood again someday...especially since its once-dwindling availability has begun to turn around the last decade or so...now that full-growth trees exist in relative abundance again. The preference for gunstocks of laminated and dyed wood and synthetics has allowed this to happen.

It would be "none of the above"...LOL! They are oak veneer on poplar-lumber-core plywood. They never made em outta anything else (except for the birch ones)...until they went to veneered MDF sometime around 1985 or so on mitered Heresys. Mitered Heresys are still made using veneered MDF today.

Regarding the statement of None of the above. To your knowledge did the Cornwalls come in COR unfinished in the 1981 era? The individual selling these does not have any info on prior owner history. Does that raise a concern or not.

Thanks and looking for a pair to match with my Audio Research D90B and Audible Illusions 3. Live in Northern Illinois.