sub with excellent 20 hz performance

jfmacken

I am thinking about getting a sub because my main speakers only do 35 hz. However, I am in a very small living room- and do not need a sub with crazy volume output. What is the cheapest sub that I could get that could hammer 20 hz as loud as any other note? I see the rsw-12 does 22 hz at -3db, is that really noticeable, or with notes down there be hard to hear? I listen to a lot of electronic music that has really unaturally low bass:)

It largely depends on how loud you will listen. If you look around at the vast majority of $1K (or less) subs, they will not go much above 90 db at 20 hz. They typically start rolling off at 30-35 hz and reach their limit below that. Look at their reviews (which include measurements) for the no-BS answer on what they can do.

The Hsu VTF-3 is probably the cheapest, powered sub I've seen which can really hit 20 hz.

vr,

Jeff

Actually, I think your answer is the SVS 16-46PCi. It's even cheaper than the VTF-3 (at $649 as opossed to $699) and digs even lower. Take a look at the performance chart on their website and you'll see it reaches the 16 Hz level quite well. It should hammer 20 Hz with no problem. I think that would be an outstanding solution to a smaller room that needs subsonic frequencies. 3.gif

Just looking at the svs website- it looks like the pci and plus models have better performance than the ultra at very low frequency? the ultra only is rated down to 20 hz, where the others go down to 16.. I could afford any of the three. So anyways- whatever will be along the price level of the rsw-12, I can afford. Does the svs have a good tight, powerful sound like the klipsch? I listened to the rsw-12 at the store and sounded pretty ridculously powerful.. the only way I would go svs was if I knew for a fact that it did kick the rsw-12's butt at anything less than 30 hz (and it does appear to be slightly cheaper).

Hey, that pb2-plus looks like a nic box sub:) I don't like that funny lookin cylinder style. This is exactly the same price as the rsw-12. How does it stand up? Looks like I could get it tuned to 16 hz, and it has a 900 watt amp? Is that rms? Looks like I have some homework to do..

The PB-2+ will absolutely demolish the RSW-12 or the RSW-15. It weighs 120+ pounds because it has 2 drivers, a 900 watt rms amp, 3 large user tuning ports, and an enclosure the size of an end table. If space is what you're looking for then the PB-2+ is not what you're looking for. However, if you want bass below 20 Hz (I have one and 20 Hz is a killer) that'll shake your foundation loose, then the PB-2+ is what you want.

Here's a pic of it in my house for a size comparison.

post-13941-1381925418469_thumb.jpg

This may not be the answer as it is probably way overkill in your living room that you declared "small." If you like the boxes then the PB1-ISD is a smaller companion to the PB-2 line. You can email Tom at SVS to get his opinion on what you would need to best fill your room, however. If your living room is very small and you don't need great output then I have a feeling the PB-2+ may be like using a tank to kill an ant farm.3.gif

Well, you know, I am not in an exactly permanent residence right now, and I can only imagine I will be moving into a real house within the next 2 years, so I might as well buy something that can handle a bigger room;) You know, that pb2+ looks like a pretty sweet deal, I think I am going to order that sucker! Will be cool workin with my klipsch heresy's, plus it has a nice filtered rca output, so my main speakers will cut-off where the bass starts (i have a pre-out/main in)! My roomates are going to kill me. 3.gif

Haha, ridiculous. Just ordered it- does it take two weeks for the order to ship, or generally two weeks to receive the shipment? I can't wait to unpack this monster (with the help of a couple friends, unless I want to throw out my back). I even get bettercables at cheap as hell prices6.gif I can't wait to make my living room explode, it'll be great for parties.

Eh, I went with the ol' box setup. Those tubes look a little silly to me personally. I just wonder why and the heck the pb2+ weighs 120 pounds! The rsw-12 (pretty much equally priced, with dual 12" woofers) weights less than half of that. Maybe the SVS has a fragment of a neutron star in there?

The ear is opinionated, too. He probably considers everyone a newbie.

I think the cylinders look a little silly also, however the real problem is there isn't one that can match the PB2+. You'd need a pair of PC+'s but then the cost would far outweigh what I paid for the single PB2+. The best overall buy for me. True, it is slightly more efficient and cost effective to build a cylinder but who cares when it looks like you just deep-froze your mother in a cryotube next to the entertainment center?

All silliness aside 9.gif

The PB2+ is so much heavier because it measures 18 X 25 X 28" and the RSW-12 measures only 15 X 16 X 22" with only one active driver (the other is a radiator). You'll see that size equals weight in a big way. 3.gif

----------------

On 4/26/2004 6:44:32 PM jfmacken wrote:

Eh, I went with the ol' box setup. Those tubes look a little silly to me personally. I just wonder why and the heck the pb2+ weighs 120 pounds! The rsw-12 (pretty much equally priced, with dual 12" woofers) weights less than half of that. Maybe the SVS has a fragment of a neutron star in there?

----------------

Very easy,the RSW using one woofer and its cabinet has ONE brace.PB2-Plus cabinet uses two woofers,in a much larger cabinet,also the PB2 cabinets weigh over twice as much as the RSW12 cabinet(not including hardware in either case).

The dB12 weighs more than the RSW12 woofer,the RSW12 PR is very lightweight,no motorstructure on a PR.And a motor structure represents often over 90% of the weight of a serious woofer.

Just some things to remember

Is it true that the pb2+ can hit hard all the way down to 11hz? Some guy did a 10-100hz sweep and took some measurements and posted a review. In his graph, with the sub tuned to 16hz (and two ports plugged), it appeared to go steady all the way down to 11hz, if not louder from 20-11hz. I wonder what bass at 11 hz sounds (or I guess, feels) like.....

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=146561

A PB2-Plus hits hard at 11Hz...LOL

What a load of corn,no subwoofer hits hard at 11hz,there is no such thing as hitting hard at 11hz unless you have a dozen Tumults in a dipole configuration.And you are in a very small room.

Some people live by the hype they spit out

Hey, I'm just reading some graphs here buddy. I too would find that hard to believe, but I am far from being fully knowledgable in the field of low frequency response. They definitely don't teach me that stuff in college. Seemed like a pretty honest and well-thought review to me, but hey, when is everything you see on the internet 100% accurate:)