Which sub

devlin24

Hi guys,

Was wondering how the rw-12 compaires to the hsu vtf2. I have a room that is 17 x 30 with a open stairway and am not sure if these subs will give me the "thump" in the gut with movies. I know I will hear them but I want to feel the base when watching movies. Also the specs look the same but havent had the chance to listen to them both to know how they compair.

Thanks

With that size room, you may want to consider a Klipsch RSW-15 15" sub(s) which have a bit of power behind them or the KW-120-THX sub.

Although, you could maybe go with a Sunfire True Subwoofer Signature.

OR!!!!!....... You could build your own. 2.gif

So I will really need a big subwoofer for this room I guess. I wasnt sure if I was going to be able to get away with something cheaper or not. Now with the rsw-15 I really would get the "thump" in the chest that I want? OR could I go with the rsw-12 and be just as happy? Also where would you find out about building stuff on your own? I like the push pull idea of the RSW's but would have no idea where to start with that. Also what would building one cost?

Thanks

http://www.diysubwoofers.org/

http://www.diyaudio.com

And this is where I learned about dipole subs

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/index.htm

Seigfried was even kind enough to include my website link on his.

Scroll down to question # 23.....

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/faq.htm

Most likely, you can build a very competitive subwoofer at a fraction of the cost of a name brand one. Mine only cost a total of $185, which included all four drivers, wood, and screws. 2.gif

And I must add that even though I have probably heard well over a hundred different subs in the past, I have never ever heard anything that could compair to my dipoles! 9.gif

with that size room, you may be happiest with 2 subwoofers.

Someone posted something a while back that compared a TON of different subwoofers on the basis of how many DB of base you got per dollar cost, and the winner was the RSW-15 as far as bang for the buck. One of those in a room is nice, two would be thumpy indeed.

I like SVS myself, awesome bang for the buck.

How much you looking to spend, and how loud do you like to listen to your movies? Feeling a vibration versus a kick to the chest is quite different... as real chest pounding requires a lot of power to actually pressurize a room. You've got a large room, and I don't think neither the RSW nor the RW will be able to do that. I have seen neither the prices nor the performance numbers on the new Klipsch THX subs but they are marketed as their new top of the line units.

The list that you are looking for is fabulousfrankie's Updated NOUSAINE subwoofer data list he posted here a little while ago.

DIY is always a possibility but the prices quoted are using inexpensive drivers without a complex enclosure and don't include power amplification. You will have to factor in extra $$ to attain your goal. Depending on your living situation, I'd consider an IB. You will save money by putting your own time into it, but there is no free lunch.

Adding a second sub in a different place in the room will add only 3db... or 6db if you couple them (very close to each other, like stacking them ontop of each other). Uncoupled placement in a way to avoid cancellations while optimizing room modes can be difficult for the uninitiated. It is often easier to simply buy a slightly more powerful sub to start with, or one like the SVS PB2+ which is basically two subs sharing one enclosure.

What's your budget?

Later...

Rob

The amount I am going to spend is probably about $1000. I just wasnt sure if even spending more than that would give me the pressure I need to get the kick in the chest that I want. I thought about going to a store near me and trying to demo or buy for a day one of the $1500 to $2000 subs like the Sunfire True Subwoofer Signature. Atleast then I would know if it is even possible the get the pressure I need. the stf-2 that I have right now sounds good just doesnt give me that kick, so if I dont have to spend anymore that what I have now it will work out fine.

Thanks

stf-2 is not enough, maybe the vtf-3mk2 or maybe try Twin UFW-10 (for $1000).. from www.av123.com !!

i have read reviews from hometheaterspot (or was it hometheaterforum.com) regarding the ufw-10 compared to the svs pb2+.... it is a real good subwoofer - and real small too!! placement, placement, placements galore with these two!

otherwise, u can go ahead and look at what svs has to offer - atleast get what i have, a PC+ or if u want - go for the PC-ultra!! www.svsubwoofers.com

im sure an rsw-12 is good enough, but i would rather take the vtf-3 over this guy any day.

----------------

On 4/27/2004 9:56:55 PM pinipig523 wrote:

im sure an rsw-12 is good enough, but i would rather take the vtf-3 over this guy any day.

----------------

I honestly don't think that either the RW12, RSW12, Sunfire signature, nor the VTF3 will give you enough displacement to give you the effect you are after. All these sacrifice some output to improve size and WAF. Subs like the RSW15 and the Velodyne HGS do accomplish some very good output in a reasonably sized box but this unfortunately drives the costs up.

The least expensive way to accomplish output and extension is by building a bigger box. So assuming the enclosure's size isn't a concern I really think either a SVS PB2-isd or DIY are the best two solutions, in that price range.

But that's just my biased opinion... 2.gif

Rob

So what if I could go up to $2000. Do you think there are any subs in that range that could give that kick? Do you think that the rsw-15 would work then? I guess I could hide it behind something so the wife wouldnt freak out but I heard that the svs psb2 is huge so not sure if it would work as a end table or not. Oh, and is that even possible? Can you place stuff on a sub without them falling off?

Thanks

----------------

On 4/27/2004 11:58:14 PM formica wrote:

----------------

On 4/27/2004 9:56:55 PM pinipig523 wrote:

----------------

All these sacrifice some output to improve size and WAF. Subs like the RSW15 and the Velodyne HGS do accomplish some very good output in a reasonably sized box but this unfortunately drives the costs up.

----------------

ROFL, even though the Sunfire Signature has more output then the RSW-15 2.gif

In a large room the Sunfire won't do a whole lot of damage. There's only so much air one cone can move and you likely won't be impressed considering how incredibly much you'll spend. The PB2+ would come in just over $1000 and it's a very potent product. The PB2-Ultra would do you one better.

I read above that the RSW-15 was rated the best bang for the buck? In what world was that the result? For the price (as fact, not opinion) SVS has the clear advantage as far as bang for the buck. No ego involved. I love Klipsch (nearly everything I own is Klipsch), they just don't have the best subs for the money.

I would hands down go for the Ultra, and if too pricey then the PB2+ is the way to go (or perhaps 2 of them!).16.gif

----------------

On 4/28/2004 6:30:17 PM InnovaZero wrote:

ROFL, even though the Sunfire Signature has more output then the RSW-15
2.gif

----------------

In accordance to Hoffmans Iron Law, the smaller the subwoofer (and the lower it's F3 is) the less efficient it'll be. It therefore requires large amplifier, long excursion (and it's associated non-linearity's), high thermal resistance, etc... all things which will add substantially to the cost.

Since we were talking about performance/COST ratio... I still stand behind

----------------

On 4/27/2004 11:58:14 PM formica wrote:

The least expensive way to accomplish output and extension is by building a bigger box.

----------------

as physics dictates it.

Rob

PS: I was under the impression that the Sunfire Signature was MORE expensive than the RSW15 but given your reaction, I must be wrong. On the other hand, I don't have any numbers from Tom Nousaine to comment on the Sunfire's SPL and F3 abilities. The RSW15 does quite well on in total SPL output.

Well, at first I was thinking about trying to stay under $1000. Then was just wondering if I did go up to $2000 if I would really see a difference in the "kick" with such a big room. If not, then I will just stick with the bang for buck idea. Other wise I will just hold out for a bit to get a really great sub for this room.

Thanks

Well in my tests at 31.5hz, The Sunfire Signature was belting 118db (31.5hz), and at 20hz still doing 103db, after which is starts dropping like a stone and output is not very useable at all under 18-19hz, at which the PR is flying like a jackhammer. From what I know of the RSW-15, its max output was precieved at 116db at 31.5 hz, and at 20hz...97db. I dunno, I got my sub for $1400.

Mine is 24x20 with the living room opening up into the whole kitchen lol, so its accually a bit bigger. Measurements where done at sitting position in the living room. It just depends on your need. The thing with the Sunfire Signature is that all of its output is under 40hz. This is a real sub, there is no upper peak at all, its all about the sub-sonic slam, no peak punch..so if you like to listen to for example, rap music on your subs, I wouldn't recommend this sub. The reason why the Sunfire Signature is so special is that it is so small, damn near unseen to the eye, yet its force is well felt.

I'd say in your situation, I dunno i'd say either go with the Sunfire Signature or SVS PB2. The SVS is more powerful, much larger however...it depends on your needs and space area.

These are all very capable subs, and you wouldn't really go wrong with any of them. Between the two I'd lean towards the PB2+ for the higher output and and extension... as long as you are willing to live with its size.

Unfortunately it's hard to compare data from two subs tested in different rooms as the room modes are just too significant. The THEear who has both the RSW15 and the Sunfire at home would be better off at comparing these, but he has been very busy lately.

Some people just need more bass than others... and the more they have, the more they want. The highest reading I got at 20Hz was 119db in room with the AV15 but I definitely would like more if I want to compress the room air and have some headroom. Most people are satisfied with less or don't realise what can be done. BTW, my space is much smaller than Tom's 7500ft3 which explains the high SPL numbers I get.

Later...

Rob

The ideal sub would be either the Velodyne ULD 15/2 or the 18/2.

Crossover the sub at 50hz and the 15 is flat to 16hz and the 18 is flat to 14hz. 15 being 15" and the 18 being 18". Both subs feature a 400 watt servo controlled amp and you will have a sound system that will make the best taste in sound.

Best,

Craig

Standard broadcast equipment. Too numerous to mention!