Sub For 2-Channel Only

garymd

I'm looking for a smallish sub that doesn't necesarily need to be in a corner for use with 2-channel only. It needs to keep up with a pair of hot-rodded MkIIIs and a blueberry preamp driving a set of 2-way altecs (811 horn and 15" woofer - 92db efficiency) in a 13x20 area with the speakers on the short wall. They sound great as-is but I'd like a little more bottom-end for certain recordings. I've yet to drag my RSW-12 downstairs to audition but I'm planning on doing that soon. The main reason I think a sub is needed is that the acoustics in the room are pretty bad.

Will an RW-12 work for this purpose? I'm not looking for rumble factor, just some nice smooth deep bass. Does SVS make something that would serve this purpose?

Thanks in advance.

For just over $500 SVS does make a nice cylinder, the 25-31pci, that will add a very nice, smooth low end to your recordings, but also have the potential to rock your room if need be. The stock 25 Hz tune would probably sound perfect in this application. This does, however, depend on your taste for a high varnish wood treatment or if plain black is alright to fit in your room's corner. For the price you just can't beat this with nearly anything 1.gif

Thanks guys. I need to go cube style to fit under a table that's attached to the wall. I don't think a cylinder will work unless I put it between the speakers. Then the WAF declines significantly.15.gif I'll look into the HSU. Does SVS have a cube style that is similiar to the HSU?

BTW - Black is fine.

One thing to keep in mind, music does not need the LEF that movies do. Aside from he popular pipe organ crap people seem to brag about, lets get real... What do you listen do? I would go with a solid 10inch sub for music. No need for 12's HSU makes some nice 10's. Also chcek out velodyne and dont count out the RSW-10. I would advise against the RW-12 for music. the RSW's are much tighter and seem to suit music better.

If my RSW12 gives me the sound I'm looking for, I may look into an RSW10. The 12 does music very well in my other system.

I listen mainly to jazz, rock (all but heavy metal), and classical. I don't seem to have a problem when I play jazz. Mostly issues with rock and some classical.

----------------

On 4/28/2004 2:37:31 PM garymd wrote:

I'm looking for a smallish sub that doesn't necesarily need to be in a corner for use with 2-channel only. It needs to keep up with a pair of hot-rodded MkIIIs and a blueberry preamp driving a set of 2-way altecs (811 horn and 15" woofer - 92db efficiency) in a 13x20 area with the speakers on the short wall. They sound great as-is but I'd like a little more bottom-end for certain recordings. I've yet to drag my RSW-12 downstairs to audition but I'm planning on doing that soon. The main reason I think a sub is needed is that the acoustics in the room are pretty bad.

----------------

If your Altecs sound anything like your Cornwalls, they will definitely benefit from a sub on modern recordings. Most of my musical tastes really need a sub to sing.

Unfortunately corner placement isn't sub dependant... but room dependant. So you can physically put the sub anywhere (unlike a khorn), but it's performance will vary greatly according to the selected placement REGARDLESS of the brand of sub. On top of that you mention that you room acoustics aren't great, so if the sub position isn't flexible, it may actually worsen the situation as it'll excite your problem room modes even more. All this is obviously placement dependant.

I really agree with you about dragging the RSW12 downstairs and give it a whirl. Try different placements even if they look ridiculous. It'll give you an idea where it needs to be to balance the room modes and your mains. From there you'll know if you can hide a big beast or if a micro sub is the only solution.

SVS does have a smaller box sub, the PB1 which is very similar to their PCi cylinders... but they usually sacrifice WAF for price. Or you could just leave the RSW12 there and get a RSW15 for your main system... 2.gif (don't tell your wife i said that... 2.gif )

Later...

Rob

Gary-

Also look into the Paradigm line. I have the PW-2200 which I used in my HT before I got my SVS. It did a very nice job on movies and music. It's pretty big though, so you probably won't be able to put it under a table. But I think Paradigm also makes some smaller cubes. SVS does too, just not sure on how big they really are.

If you want really small, Ear has lots of good things to say about the Sunfire Jr, and other compact subs.

Hello Gary - back again.

I prefer SVS - I have the 20-39 PCi. That said, it is a big beast and does work double duty (HT/Music) really well. I listened to quite a few subs before going with the SVS. The VTF 2 really left an impression and it has always been in the back of my mind as a music only sub. Fairly unobstrusive and plays real clean in any area you would expect music to go. It is a great price/performance unit.

However, if you really want the extraordinay blend, you may well shoot for the deeper boxes - it will most likely be a fuller sound, but not by 'ear measurably' large amounts.

Lastly. I am not the great fan of sunfire that others are - maybe the price influences me, but I don't like their type of 'punch'.

Tom,

I just read the reviews and that looks to be a perfect match. Certainly small enough. Once I test my RSW12 with the system and decide a sub would be a worthwhile investment, I'm going to seriously consider the Outlaw. At $579 it seems like a bargain. 325 watts and 25Hz is plenty low and powerful enough for my musical purposes.

Thanks for the link.

I'll throw in another recommendation for the Hsu VTF-2. Great little sub for 2 channel only use. I'm running it with my heresies right now. Most of the time I don't even notice that I have a sub in the room, unless for whatever reason, I have to turn it off. Suddenly, the whole system just seems to lose something. It seems to reach down as far as I could ever want for two channel purposed, and definitely far enough for jazz/classical. I'd highly recommend it, plus the price is pretty nice (right around $500, I believe). Mine is one of the original designs, so I can't comment exactly on the new model, but I can't imagine that it's any worse, and probably a whole lot better.