paging..the bass heads with two or more subs....

Sanman023

i just picked up my second rsw15 last night but didnt get a chance to hook it up (cause the fiance wouldnt let me play with my toys)....i wont be able to see my babies till tonite...so im here (working) just wondering how you guys are hooking the subs up (daisy chain..y split the lfe out from the preouts....left and right preouts...etc..)and are the settings the same on both subs....thanks....

Splitting the LFE from the receiver sub out and running two quality interconnects, one to each sub. A Radio Shack "gold" series short splitter cable should suffice. Settings? Depends on if you are locating them together or in different parts of the room. I am currently stacking mine so the phase on both is set at zero. However, I may be moving them apart (like in the past), both adjacent to different parts of a corner. Once I do that, I will need to dial in the phase of the second to match the first. That is even more important if you are placing the subs in different portions of the room to combat the dreaded bass wave cancellations.

Carl.

I couldn't have said any of those points better. If you can, you'll want to stack them. Separating them by any distance will cause some cancellation that (in my opinion) would defeat the very purpose of adding another sub and it's hard to get away from even with independent, infinitely-variable phase controls. But good luck!1.gif

Same here. Y adaptor out of receiver to 2 subwoofer cables. Each cable is connected to an SVS PC2039PC+. The subs sit side-by-side in the front left corner, behind a Klipsch Chorus speaker. The phase control is set the same on both subs. The results are amazing, especially for movies.9.gif

Actually, what I have done in past istallations with very good results is....

Place one sub in a corner, as usual. Then, walk around the room while playing some bass and find the "null" in the room along the walls. Once you find that spot, place the other sub in that location. After tweaking the settings on both, you should have a pretty smooth responce throughout the listening room. 2.gif

@chops - Yeah, that's what I did. Pretty much. Works well. Seems to add a much fuller sound than stacking. Plus, when you stack it gains altitude which is not condusive to bass listening (in my opinion anyway). ALso, I think there is some confusion here. Putting the subs in different locations in the room helps to prevent standing wave cancelation.

Anyway, here's my problem. Say I have 2 subs and 2 tower speakers. Now I don't want to cut off the towers at say 150 hz because they reproduce bass very accurately and in a manner that hits very hard, while the subs (being 10 inch front firers) do not have exactly as much of a hit to them. Now, when I play one sub, I have to put it in the reverse phase position in order to integrate it with the two towers. Then, the second sub becomes very difficult to place because it too must be in reverse or in phase with the other subwoofer. I do like my bass and would like to use both subwoofers however the noise cancellation is a problem.

Well, set the crossover points on the subs so they start in where the towers fall off. If the phase control on those subs are continuely variable anywhere between 0 and 180 degrees, then try different amounts of phase for each sub. The phase will probably not be exactly the same for both since they will be in different locations in the room.

----------------

On 4/29/2004 8:00:36 PM Ornlu wrote:

Putting the subs in different locations in the room helps to prevent standing wave cancelation....

...Then, the second sub becomes very difficult to place because it too must be in reverse or in phase with the other subwoofer. I do like my bass and would like to use both subwoofers however the noise cancellation is a problem.

----------------

Yes, two subs in different locations does have the potential to help distribute the room modes (a good thing), BUT like you mention in your following post, setup is much more difficult to balance (mid wall on opposite walls is a good starting point). Result is most people actually worsen their situation by separating the two subs. Also by stacking the two subs you gain 6db versus only 3db if they are in different locations.

If you are going to stack the two subs, there is no benefit of using two subwoofer cables, rather you'd be increasing the risk of picking up RFI/EMI noise. I'd just run one from the receiver and put the Y behind the subs. Obviously if they are placed in different corners, you have no choice but to run two wires.

Later...

Rob

----------------

If you are going to stack the two subs, there is no benefit of using two subwoofer cables, rather you'd be increasing the risk of picking up RFI/EMI noise. I'd just run one from the receiver and put the Y behind the subs. Obviously if they are placed in different corners, you have no choice but to run two wires.

Later...

Rob

----------------

Rob,

Just curious.....which "Y adaptor" would you recommend that's long enough to reach the inputs on two subs when they're stacked?

----------------

On 4/29/2004 10:51:08 PM formica wrote:

----------------

On 4/29/2004 8:00:36 PM Ornlu wrote:

Putting the subs in different locations in the room helps to prevent standing wave cancelation....

...Then, the second sub becomes very difficult to place because it too must be in reverse or in phase with the other subwoofer. I do like my bass and would like to use both subwoofers however the noise cancellation is a problem.

----------------

Yes, two subs in different locations does have the potential to help distribute the room modes (a good thing), BUT like you mention in your following post, setup is much more difficult to balance (mid wall on opposite walls is a good starting point). Result is most people actually worsen their situation by separating the two subs. Also by stacking the two subs you gain 6db versus only 3db if they are in different locations.

Later...

Rob

----------------

First of all, using the y splitter with two RCA cables to the subwoofers will not introduce more risk of RFI. RFI is either there or not. Having two cables running to the subs introduces as much risk as running two subs in the first place. You could argue that there might be noticeable EMI between the two sub cables, but that's highly unlikely. There is just as much chance that the sub cable will pick up EMI from any other cable out of the many number of cables behind the a/v equipment. Chances are if you don't have noticeable EMI now, running two sub cables won't make a difference.

Secondly, as rckpls said, I don't know of any y splitter that's long enough to run to two subs on the y end, stacked or unstacked.

----------------

On 5/2/2004 3:38:12 PM Underhanded Penguin wrote:

You could argue that there might be noticeable EMI between the two sub cables, but that's highly unlikely... Chances are if you don't have noticeable EMI now, running two sub cables won't make a difference.

----------------

I'd agree. I was figuring that given that you'd have twice the length of cable, you'd have a greater probability of picking up EMI (which may come from unrelated inwall or infloor wiring/ lighting as I'm sure you know). But like you said, you'll probably either have it or not in either case, even more so since the interconnects would probably be run side by side. The difference is pretty insignificant.

On the other hand, I still don't think there is really an "advantage" of running two long cables unless it's because you already own them, you want to experiment moving the subs around, or you like the look. 3.gif

As for the Y, I was kinda assuming that you'd use a short interconnect between one and the other (female to male before someone asks... 2.gif )

Rob

----------------

On 5/2/2004 10:30:48 PM formica wrote:

As for the Y, I was kinda assuming that you'd use a short interconnect between one and the other (female to male before someone asks...
2.gif
)

Rob

----------------

Ahhh. The plot thickens... (A la Kill Bill volume 2) If you use two more interconnects at the y end, the attenuation introduced would probably outweigh the risk of RFI and EMI combined. Nonethelss, if you can run one cable it's always best to save money. In the case of two subs, it just aint happenin' brotha 1.gif

I know Radio StHubert but haven't bought anything there yet. We actually have several nice audio shops in the area... most of my purchases have been at fillion which is really close to my home, with the occasional item elsewhere. BUT I don't buy anywhere near as much stuff as theEAR does so I'm obviously not an equally prime client. Then again, not many of us buy as much as MrSubwoofer... 2.gif

Later...

Rob

PS: BTW I have an EMI problems with longer line level cables in my home, so I tend to be a little more paranoid when it comes to long interconnects. My sub amp is now in my equipment rack and speaker level signals are much more immune to the interference.

thank you all for your inputs....the way i did it was from the lfe to sub 1...from the sub 1s unfiltered outputs to sub 2....all the settings are the same on both subs...placed at different locations....very happy with the outcome....i hope this makes up for the pb2+ that i decided not to get =)...but happy that i kept my whole system klipsch...