New Sovtek 7591 coming out

I just read on the Tube Asylum that Sovtek is coming out with a new 7591 tube in about ten months that will have a smaller bottle and fit a lot more of the Scott and Fisher amps than the big EH7591A tube, I sure hope it sounds as good or better. I use the EH7591A tube in my Mcintosh 225 and fits fine and sounds good, but have read where many amps can't use them because of there large size, if this is all true it should be good news for plenty of vintage 7591 amp owners.2.gif

I know two Randy Taylor's on the same forum, wild isn't, I have E-mailed forum members and they have replyed to me thinking they are talking to you and I have to explain that I'am the other Randy Taylor from Texas. I have know Idea about the quality of Sovtek tube I never bought one, but I hope these are good for the people that might need to use them, I quess time will tell.1.gif

I'm not sure that Sovtek makes all EH tubes but I know they were contracted and did a joint thingy on the EH7591 and it won't surprise me if Sovtek or someone will come out with a standard small envolop 7591. I know that there was another rumor started that JJ Telsa was going to so I contacted my dealer and he contacted JJ Telsa engineers and they said that was a false rumor they have no plans for a 7591. So hopefully thing is more then a rumor.

Craig

Well than I guess I have tried a Sovtek tube if the EH7591A is built by them, I wonder if they are going to replace the EH tube too if there going to a smaller tube. I have mixed feeling about the big bottle EH7591A tube anyway seeing that one of mine shorted out this very afternoon, only two months old, maybe 100 hours maybe, I'am pretty sure The Tube Store will replace it,but it scares the hell out of you when I it blew the fuse (I'am glad it did). Aren't tubes fun !9.gif

Randy,

I believe EH owns all rights to the existing EH7591 which they contract to Sovtek to produce and if Sovtek releases a new one it will have to be different. Maybe the smaller envelop and some other changes will indeed make it a better tube ?

Craig

----------------

On 5/2/2004 7:22:26 PM Randy Taylor wrote:

Well than I guess I have tried a Sovtek tube if the EH7591A is built by them, I wonder if they are going to replace the EH tube too if there going to a smaller tube. I have mixed feeling about the big bottle EH7591A tube anyway seeing that one of mine shorted out this very afternoon, only two months old, maybe 100 hours maybe, I'am pretty sure The Tube Store will replace it,but it scares the hell out of you when I it blew the fuse (I'am glad it did). Aren't tubes fun !
9.gif
----------------

Randy-

You are not alone. I had a defective EH7591A as well. Almost smoked my 299C. The up side is that the failure prompted me to invest in NOS RCA output tubes. I much prefer their sonics to the EH. If you listen to distorted rock exclusively, the EH is fine, but in most cases, the RCA delivers more mid-range finesse and resolution. On the surface, the EH is easy to choose, but my take on it at the time was that it was kind of a "loudness switch" presentation at the expense of a naturalness and ease that allowed more detail (not treble) to emerge.

My opinion only, of course. The RCA ain't cheap, either.

Ben

Really guy's I would not be so quick to blame the tubes here ! I have seen it time and again with newer Russian tube in old vintage sockets ! The tube pin demensions are not the same as the NOS types. I have had many modern off shore produces EL34, 6L6, KT88 and so on do this very same thing every time it can be traced directly back to the tube pin loosing contact with the grid and the tube has run away bias which cause the 7591 to glow cherry red and then blow the fuse. Then after this abuse to the tube you find it has a short or leakage but the damage was done because of the lost connection and not being caught in time the fuses take to long to blow for these tubes. Yes these tube are not as tough as the NOS types which would usually live through this problem. But in all reality this problem is not the tube if the sockets were retensioned and cleaned or better yet replaced (expensive and time consuming) the tube would still be good to go!

Craig

Craig has a point here. It's like a customer just went through with me on the phone. His washer won't pump out, and he wants to buy a pump. Well, that's fine but it's probably not the problem. Could be the lid switch or timer (probably the lid switch in this case). The illness is not always the obvious indication.

In my case, I feel like it was a good thing, as it led me to the NOS tubes, which I initally purchased for reliability concerns as well as my curiousity as to their sonics. Even if the reliabillty ended up being a non-issue, the sonics, for me, are well worth the expenditure.

I have some Sovtek output tubes (6L6), they're working fine, but the store I bought them from (a music store who mainly sells instruments/guitar amps (some tube)/etc.) said they're not the best quality wise. I think Fender sticks their name on Sovtek tubes as well. Aren't there just a couple of companies making tubes? Just a lot of private labels?

Well there is a few factories making tubes in China and a good number in Russia. So its more then a few off the top of my head here are the manufactururs in Russia that make and market tubes.

Svetlana with the C logo

Svetlana with the SED logo

JJ Telsa

EI

Sovtek

I'm not to up on the Chinese tube factories but know they have a few.