Incredibly cool illusion

m00n

----------------

On 5/2/2004 11:40:34 PM DeanG wrote:

I've been thinking about Him off and on all day -- strange how this would be the last thing I see before I go to bed.

----------------

Dean-

i haven't beleived in coincidence for years,from the day i acknowleged Him as always having been there for me.

avman.

Wow - that's amazing. Thanks for sharing that.

Since we're on topic, anyone seen The Passion of Christ? I live in the Middle East and was amazed they played it here. Of course it came here late and I just saw it last week. My wife and I couldn't even talk when it was over.

OK - I've now tried this a few times and the same thing happens each time. When I'm blinking to see the image, it drifts to the right. Is this happening with anyone else? Anything different happening? Just curious - if it does happen with everyone, that's another "why" I'll likely never know.

Darren,

The Passion of the Christ got much the same reaction here in the U.S.

People left the theaters and didn't talk. It is a very Catholic movie, and Catholics would probably see things in it that Protestants or non Christians would. I have heard that it was being distributed in France by a muslim.

There are incongruities in the movie:

Although Scripture say the nails were put in His hands, historically it is thought to be the wrists, as the nails would pull through the flesh in the hands.

He carries a complete cross, although Dismas and Gismas only carry their horizontal crosspieces.

Still very moving, and there are verifiable stories of conversion and confessions from people who have watched it. For example, one young man confessed to killing his girlfriend after seeing it. It had been ruled a suicide.

The photography was excellent, with most people only complaining that the actor who played Jesus was still too good looking (albeit not for long). The woman who played Mary, the Mother of Jesus, was excellent, and is the one who suggested that the words from the beginning of the Passover be used, "Why is this night different than all the others ..."

So, although not exactly following the Scripture accounts, it really did no harm to the Gospel. It more closely follows the Stations of the Cross. Still, the inclusion of Valerie, giving the towel/cloth to Jesus to wipe His face, and later as she is standing by the side where you see His facial image on the fabric, is done well and pretty subtle. They didn't do something silly like zoom in on the image.

The flashback scenes really help to show the love between Jesus and Mary (His mother), to show His humanity. Christians tend to forget that, and that is the paradox: Fully God and fully man, and anything else is a heresy (had to get a speaker name in somehow) that orthodox Christianity has fought for centuries.

There are those who are diehard Calvinists (I work at a Presbyterian college) who say we shouldn't try to portray Christ at all, as we can't fully show what He was like or went through or that it is idolatry.

It may be obvious, but I liked the movie very much.

If I have offended anyone, I apologize.

Marvel

Marvel - many thanks for your post. Being in the Middle East you lose touch a bit with what's happening back home (and there's obviously been a lot of talk and action generated from this movie).

My viewing experience was probably a bit unique. The theater was quite full with only a few western's there - most were Muslim. I have to say, they didn't do much talking on the way out either.