How often do you adjust your speaker levels?

m00n

I wish I could just sit and enjoy a movie instead of making sure everything sounds right....Sometimes giving a speaker a funny look when I expect to hear something out of it! I am dreading the tv dude coming over disconnecting wires pulling the ent center out. Try to bite my tongue when he or she begins to fiddle with my stuff, I will get as much ready as possible but those damn tv cables are so hard to reach in back of the tv!

Watched Master and commander last week, good movie, but I thought the soundtrack was nice and loud with some real decent base in the begining and some other battle scenes9.gif

----------------

On 5/3/2004 7:11:02 PM TIbor wrote:

I wish I could just sit and enjoy a movie instead of making sure everything sounds right....Sometimes giving a speaker a funny look when I expect to hear something out of it!

----------------

Yep! I know EXACTLY what you mean. I have become my systems worst critic. It's hard to just turn on the system, listen and not try to find flaws in the soundtrack.

Dolby Pro Logic II Music: A tweakers dream (or nightmare). I think I'm growing hair on my thumbs AND going blind - I just can't...leave it...ALONE!! As in: the CD's half over and I'm still trying to decide if it sounds best with "panorama" off or on!

----------------

On 5/3/2004 5:41:21 PM TIbor wrote:

Finally got all my wires tight and clean, and now the tv needs to moved for a tv repair, I am sure he will be gentle too
7.gif
. Looks like another two months of checking wires and spl again!
6.gif

----------------

A repair guy came to my house a couple months ago and wouldn't touch a thing. I wasn't there, but my wife said he was pretty intimidated with the system and didn't want to mess with it. Have to admit, I respected him fessing up and leaving it alone. As my buddy Clint E. once said, "A man's got to know his limitations" 2.gif

Are you using a tripod with the meter, and setting it in the EXACT same place every time? How about your position in relationship to the meter -- because the sound bounces off of your body and effects the meter readings.

How are things sounding Rick?

No, I'm not having "second thoughts" -- not even close. I was being polite to TC, because I know how sensitive he is.9.gif Let me ask you this -- what do your ears tell you?

I think a lot of it has to do with the mood you're in at the time of listening. When your mood changes, so does the way you listen to your system.

I usually don't adjust my levels that much, but I'm constantly tweaking the Yamaha EQ settings for the center channel. Now since I'm running the KG 5.5s, the center channel AR S20's just don't match up well. They're too dull and hollow sounding now.

Hopefully, I'll be able to find some KG 5.5 drivers and crossover so I can build myself a matching center channel. 2.gif

----------------

On 5/4/2004 5:43:40 PM DeanG wrote:

Are you using a tripod with the meter, and setting it in the EXACT same place every time? How about your position in relationship to the meter -- because the sound bounces off of your body and effects the meter readings.

How are things sounding Rick?

----------------

Well... that could be a lot of it. I don't have a tripod. I'm holding it about 18" out in front of me about.

Things are sounding great. I watched Master and Commander last night. The storm scene was fantastic sounding.

Well... that could be a lot of it. I don't have a tripod. I'm holding it about 18" out in front of me about.

That doesn't work. The Rat Shack meter isn't the most accurate thing on the planet -- but it IS sensitive. The position (angle, distance) has to be exact every time you calibrate.

----------------

On 5/4/2004 7:01:18 PM DeanG wrote:

That doesn't work. The Rat Shack meter isn't the most accurate thing on the planet -- but it IS sensitive. The position (angle, distance) has to be exact every time you calibrate.

----------------

How do you angle your's? Do you have it straight up and down or what? I have mine angled about 85 degrees pointing towards the front of my theater while I sit in the second row center seat. I keep it about ear level when I do it. What do you use for a tripod? A camera tripod? Something you built or what?

"I'm holding it about 18" out in front of me ... How do you angle yours? Do you have it straight up and down or what?"

Hmmm, I don't know if I should answer that on a public forum or not.3.gif LOL

Since I'm 2-channel only, I don't use the meter to calibrate -- I just use it to get a general idea of SPL at the listening position. A camera or video type tripod will work for you, and I would recommend using one. When I am sticking it out there -- it's usually perfectly horizontal. You got me beat on the 18" thing -- I'm not even close.1.gif

Cables burning in - Huh??

mOOn - I tweak relentlessly, but I think its probably because I am not in exactly the same place every time. I must admit when it comes to my rig I am definitely a bit on the OCD side. My wife tolerates it I can tell when I deluge her with too much audioholic stuff her eyes start to glaze over and she just gives me the uh huh response.

changes can be due to changes in the room...like furniture slightly moved etc etc ...

For the Rat shack meter...it should be held with microphone UP.....and in front of face .....so the meter is about at eye level....

If you tilt it forward..then the rear & sides will read lower then they actually are.....a teeny bit....

the testing should be done with the Same source....I like the AVIA DVD.....

nohing wrong with checking once a month or so...as changes in the room may change things....

In the zenlike words of Ian Gillan (of Deep Purple- youngsters, ask your dads)

MAKE EVERYTHING LOUDER THAN EVERYTHING ELSE!!!

seriously, your perceived changes in your system could be due to several things:

Humiditity plays a huge role in sound transfer through air

RS spl meter's angle is crucial, as is your body position to the meter, for best results, use a stand and get away from the thing.

speaker angle, depending on the model, may change the beaminess of mid/highs substantially, so tell the housekeeper to keep her damn vacuum away from your cabinets.

probably Artto could have some comments on this, being our resident accoustician (sp?)

BTW, which switch settings and CD test sources have you guys had best results with?

Guys, may I also throw in my opinion on the issue. Yes, i too am tweaking the channel levels, BM crossover, speaker size, speaker position once in a while. I think the reason why we keep doing it is that despite the fact that SPL meter readings seem to be perfectly aligned, we realize the setup is far from optimal, let alone ideal. Every time I would setup the system with SPL, I would still go back and readjust certain channels that seem either a little too hot or weak after the test tone calibration. I was also thinking about it. No, I dont think burn-in is the issue here, and my furniture stays in the same place. I think we are just leaving out too many factors while calibrating the system using SPL in conjuction with basic built-in test tones. Look at what Pioneer MCACC and now other similar systems are doing. They are not calibrating the system using just pink noise, but rather a set of different audio impulses at different frequences. Equalization also helps.

My room is an exact opposite of a perfect simmetrical room for a HT - all sides are different, odd openings into other areas, cathedral ceilings, etc. I think that settting our systems just using one test tone is way insufficient to compensate for all the factors that affect the way the system sounds. YOu set the levels with the SPL and it seems to show about equal level coming from all speakers, then turn on the music and notice that the actual levels differ. So, goes the story ...

well,

i set 'levels' for center and rear speakers for systems i have installed for over 9 yrs BY EAR...that is until i used a meter at MY HOUSE, and found i was CLOSE to having them balanced,but not quite.

i use the meter now,and it lends to the 'professional' aura of my installs.

as far as adjusting my system's levels for center/surrounds at home, my first thought after reading your posts was'these guys have way too much time on their hands,and their disease has taken over their minds'2.gif

i DO make level adjustments when i change from one source/disc to another,as i find that diferent discs are mixed at different levels.

avman.