Sherbourn + Klipsch = ?

chuckears

I'm looking at Sherbourn amps (not really happy with the sound of Rotel with Klipsch), and would like to hear some comments on the sonics of Sherbourn 5 or 7-channel amps, especially with Klipsch.

Warm, neutral, bright? Any other observations about these amps would be appreciated...

Unfortunately, I cannot speak to the Sherbourn stuff just yet.

But, just out of curiousity, what about the Rotel is convincing you to try a different amp? Thought about a different pre/pro instead? Just asking because a Rotel pre/pro + Rotel amp was a little bit too laid back for me, but then I switched pre/pros (to a Classe), and I ended up with both warmth and detail.

Carl

----------------

On 5/4/2004 11:21:14 AM cjgeraci wrote:

Unfortunately, I cannot speak to the Sherbourn stuff just yet.

But, just out of curiousity, what about the Rotel is convincing you to try a different amp? Thought about a different pre/pro instead? Just asking because a Rotel pre/pro + Rotel amp was a little bit too laid back for me, but then I switched pre/pros (to a Classe), and I ended up with both warmth and detail.

Carl

----------------

I have run a 2-channel McCormack amp with the Anthem processor with terrific results... I would say that the Anthem is here to stay. I was unfortunately unable to buy the 5-channel McCormack when I converted to HT, and convinced myself that I could live with the Rotel... which is fine with films, but lacks musical realism, to my ears.

I would not say that "warmth" is something I am looking for... I don't think live music sounds "warm", unless my ears are stopped up.

(BTW, I am pretty set upon a one-amp solution for HT and music... no way am I buying another audio rack, and there is no room for multiple amps on my current set-up...)

----------------

On 5/4/2004 11:54:07 AM arthurs wrote:

what's your budget Chuckears?

----------------

arthurss,

I don't think the Mrs. would be too wild about anything over 2 grand... that's why I am looking quite a bit at the used market.

chops,

That is a good suggestion; however, from my own observation and a year worth of listening, plus reading a lot of others' observations and reviews of the Rotel amp with Klipsch, I think that the sonic character of the Rotel is the main culprit behind the disappointment I have with music reproduction on my current set-up.

Don't get me wrong... it doesn't sound bad; it just doesn't sound real. That's what hearing a terrific synergy of preamp-amp-cables-speakers can do for you... spoil you for anything or lesser quality.

I would hate to launch a round of cable upgrades, which could cost well over $500, and end up saying, "No, that's not it either..." My marriage has lasted for 20 years, and I would like to keep it going for at least that many again... 2.gif

----------------

On 5/4/2004 11:43:16 AM chuckears wrote:

----------------

I would not say that "warmth" is something I am looking for... I don't think live music sounds "warm", unless my ears are stopped up.

(BTW, I am pretty set upon a one-amp solution for HT and music... no way am I buying another audio rack, and there is no room for multiple amps on my current set-up...)

----------------

Yeah, the "warmth" quote comes from titanium tweeter land where much warmth is greatly appreciated. In light of your prior McCormack, I agree; I would keep the Anthem. If a Sherbourn does not work out, you may want to consider the B&K 200.7 or 200.5. More realistic, detailed sounding than the Rotel, and a new version could still be around your budget. When listening to one recently, I thought it would make a great mate for someone who has Heritage.

Just a thought.

I would agree on the B&K as well, I ran the 7250 with my RF-7 setup and loved it. You might also want to consider Sunfire, I know their products tend to polarize opinion, but I have always found their sound to be excellent. look into audioclassics.com for used or demo equipment. I bought a sunfire sig 600x2 from them and was very pleased with the warranty, money back listening period, overall ease of doing buseinss and high quality of what I bought. I have no affiliation with them, just a happy customer.

Chuckears,

I'm sorry, but I must ask what you think about the AVM20 processor. If you have time I would like to hear what you have to say about it. That is the one that I might have narrowed down by search to.

I've only read rewiews about the Sherbourn amps, and they all have been favorable. Saying things like they compare to amps costing much more. I never heard them, but I'll give one a listen to next time I so to my Anthem dealer. He has some set up in his showroom.

Q-Man,

I went from using an HK520 receiver as a HT processor to the Anthem AVM20... my jaw literally dropped open on the first DVD I popped in...

The bass management is terrific; the ability to tailor the sound several different ways to your speakers and room are one of my favorite features. The sound, while not being on par with higher-end 2-channel preamps, is excellent.

The only feature I wish it had would be an analogue-only pass-through of the signal from my cd player that would provide processing of the bass material, so that I could use the subwoofer-ou channel without having to pass the signal through the whole DSP processing. Currently, if you choose "analogue RCA" input from a source, you cannot also use the bass management features.. that requires passing the signal through the Anthem's DSP, which is a terrific converter, but I don't like the thought of processing my digital signals twice... it seems to lose some of the purity and live sound of the performance (my cd player does not have a digital-out, so it runs the signal through its own DAC, then if I want to use my subwoofer, I have to pass the signal through the Anthem's DAC, as well... hope this makes sense).

Otherwise, the Anthem is so far ahead of your basic HT receiver, I would characterize it as the most important purchase for my HT set-up.

One thing I discovered very early in the process of expanding to home theater is that it is very difficult (at a reasonable price range) to have high-end music listening and HT processing in the same system. I don't know if it's the extra digital processing that any HT pre-pro necessarily applies to a signal, or if it's just too cost-prohibitive to include high-end 2-channel quality to the mix.

The Anthem AVM20 is an excellent choice ro any home theater setup, or if you want to attempt to expand your 2-channel system to HT... just be aware that there might be some sacrifice of the 2-channel side of it, especially if your system is capable of bringing a performance into your listening room (or you to the performance).... this is why I am trying to refine the amplifier section of my own HT.

Sherbourn does not seem to have very wide distribution.... I don't come up with many people who are running Sherbourn with Klipsch. I am receiving a lot of advice about why I'm not hearing what I want with my Rotel: from bad capacitors on my crossover networks, to needing a different HT pre-pro, and a few other amplifier recommendations.

My problem is that I have an ear for the $4k-$5k multi-channel amps, but the budget for a used $2K....

----------------

On 5/4/2004 1:40:49 PM cjgeraci wrote:

If a Sherbourn does not work out, you may want to consider the B&K 200.7 or 200.5. More realistic, detailed sounding than the Rotel, and a new version could still be around your budget. When listening to one recently, I thought it would make a great mate for someone who has Heritage.

----------------

I can certainly vouch for the B&K amps. I've never heard them with Heritage, but I have one hooked up to Reference 7 series speakers. The clarity and detail is absolutly stunning, not to mention the dynamics. I am quite happy with mine. 9.gif

Chuckears:

I have a Sherbourn PT-7000 Pre/Pro and a 5-5210 5 channel /200wpc amp. (Check out AudiogoN.)

As a long time Klipsch owner and user, (except right now), I can tell you that the Sherbourn's would do VERY well with your speakers. It was an amazing upgrade when I went from a Yamaha DSP-A1 unit to the Sherbourns. Much more detail, better soundstage and I was hearing things in movies and 2 channel music I was not hearing before.

They certainly are not as edgy as the Yamaha was, and have what I would call a very neutral sound. Not soft, not hard, just right in the middle. Very quiet also, and lots of flexibility in the setup. The 5 channel amp has plenty of reserve power for the big explosions in the movies.

I hate to sell them, but I am downsizing my HT space, so I have to go back to a HT receiver of some sort.

Anyway, email me if I can answer any other questions.

Oh yea, I bought them without hearing them also. Kind of scary, but it was a good decision.

Jobman