Home Theater seats

IndyKlipschFan

Chris,

My replys arn't showing up. I'm banned from the Forum.

Well this one did, so I'll try and post by using the edit option.

Since I finished voicing my Klipschorns to my liking and found the amps that I'll probably die with, I have nothing to tweak but the room. My 17'x30' room sounds good to me, but I think part of the reason that it sounds good is that it is open in the back to another 17'x 20' room. I think this eliminates a lot of reflections and gives it a big room sound.

I have drawn up at least six house plans and six remodel plans. It's difficult to add a large home theater room to a house and keep the total square footage down to around 3,500.

I'm going to try to post this now. If it works, I'll edit it more.

So far so good.

I found a couple ways to keep the square footage down. It helps to eliminate the formal dining room and living room. They are outdated and unused rooms these days anyway. My solution is to have one 30' x 32' room. In this room is an eat in kitchen that can have a 12' dining table. The family room is also in this same room. It's all open and works good for family and friends to have a space where they can all be together. Just have the TV where it can be viewed from anywhere in the room. You can even have a small speaker home theater set up in there or at least a stereo. The formal living room now becomes the computer room. Depending on your budget, it can be large or small and private. The theater room in this plan is 25' x 38'. The 38' allows a second row. These two rooms total 1,910 square feet. That leaves 1,590 square feet for a 3,500 sq. ft. house. Now you have to fit in a laundry room, three bedrooms and two or three baths. Sounds simple, but it's not. Cut down on the master bedroom. Master bedrooms these days are huge with space for sofas and chairs, large master baths and his and hers walk in closets. I don't need all that, do you?

I'm going to try to post again.

How about that, Im good to go. I typed this twice last night and twice this morning and got no where. I don't want to waste any more of my time trying to post.

The theater room design is just commom sense, draw it out to scale the way Indy did. First priority for me is my seat. I want this seat dead center in the sweat spot. I'm in the room alone 98% of the time anyway. I could probably get buy with just the one seat.

Recliners are a must, I lay back when listening to music and watching movies. I'll be nice and put a recliner to the left and right of me with a coffee table in front of me for all my junk.

These three recliners take up 9', now put a Klipschorn to the left and rigth of these recliners and that eats up another 6'. That leaves 1' between the recliner and the speaker to walk through in a 17' wide room. Not good. That's why my min. width is 24'. 24' also works real good for my front effect speaker. They can now be placed in the corners farther away from the mains. Two love seats will fit on the side walls in front of the recliners. For those rare moments when there are more people in the room. They will also help absorb sound waves. At 38' deep I can squeeze in a second row if I want, and a raised floor to keep the rear Klipschorns high. Thats kinda my game plan.

Time to try to post again, before I lose everything.

Indy,

Please forgive me, I'm not knocking your room. My over sized Klipsckorns and false corners eat up alot of space, and I have 10 speakers now with a 6.1 setup. A 7.1 will give me 11 speakers. Those cup holding recliners will help me out. My extra speakers come from the two front effect speakers and the two extra surround speakers. 6.1 and 7.1 are here. PLIIx converts 2 channel into 7.1. So does Lexicons (Logic 7), Anthems (Anthem Logic 7),Outlaws (cirric "SP" 7). There are other processors now offering their own 7.1 mix. Anthem also does it for SACD's and DVD-Audio. I've been listing to 6.1 for a couple of years now. It is being done better now with PLIIx and the above mentioned processors. I think there is also a THX 7 channel mix now. Time to move on. There is even talk about a true 10.1 mix in the furture.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q-Man, thanks so much for taking that time and effort to post. It was definitely informative for me.

I'm going to clip your comments into my Palm for future reference. The size of your room makes sense, but it is going to send me back to the drawing boards to come up with a plan that will work. Most of the house plans I've considered would accomodate the design you're considering, but the sq footage gets large very quickly (4K +). Not sure I can go there.

Anyway, the dimensional discussion looks very logical, and that was a very big help!

Many thanks again.

Chris

Chris,

I don't know how much it really helped. It's easy to end up with a huge house that I can't afford, that's why I came up with ways to cut the square footage down.

At least you can have a basement. We can't have them in Florida.

I'm also thinking of trying a Dome home. They are hirricane proof or should I say resistant. After this summers hurricanes it might not be a bad idea. I'm tired of running away. The dome shape is also helping in having a wide room. There are some interesting things going on in the drawings.

• 1 month later...