Dolby Prologic/Surround/Digital question

DrPyro

I a bit confused on the USE of Dolby formats....

But first, let see if i understand the formats correctly

Dolby - 2-channel????

Dolby Prologic - 3 channels (LF, RF, C) encoded into two-channel soundtracks, then recovered on playback by means of a Dolby Surround Pro Logic decoder (ie Matrix conversions)

Dolby Surround - 4 channels (LF, RF, C, and Surround) are encoded into two-channel soundtracks, then recovered on playback by means of a Dolby Surround Pro Logic decoder (more matrix conversions)

Dolby Digital (often called Dolby 5.1)- 5.1 discrete channels

Dolby Digital Surround EX- 6.1 (matrix or discrete?)channels

Okie....now here is the question. When watching cable TV (no decoder box) i can use my Denon 3801 reciever set to "Dolby ProLogic" and listen to the show in either Prologic or Suround (depending on what the show was encoded in) but more and more show's are encoded in Dolby Digital how can someone listen to a show that was encoded as Dolby Digital?? Or are the cable companies changing the format due to bandwidth restrictions and limiting to Dolby Surround?

-Thanks

------------------

Receiver: Denon AVR-3801

DVD: Denon DVD-1000

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RS-3's

Center: RC-3

SubW: KSW-12

i'm not sure how your denon handles the difference between 'dolby surround' and 'dolby pro-logic,' but pro-logic is actually the 4-channel format. some receivers add some digital processing to the front 3 channels to produce a 'phantom surround,' kind of fooling your ears into thinking that there are 2 speakers behind you when there are none...

does your manual give any hints?

as far as 5.1 through cable, you'd have to have a cable box with a digital output to hook into your DD processor to be able to enjoy 5.1 cable broadcasts.

------------------

Front: dbx Soundfield V - 15" woofer, 8" mid, ribbon tweet, 3.25" mid & dome tweet on top

Center: KLF C7

Rear Surround: Polk f/x bipole/dipole

Amp: Yamaha RX-V990 100x3; 25x2

DVD: Yamaha DVD S795 (built-in DD Processor)

CD: Yamaha CDC 575 5-Disc

VCR: Toshiba M752 6-head

TV: Mitsubishi 40" Tube

DirecTV

Sony Playstation w/ s-vid & RCA to V990 for awesome gaming picture & sound!

I am fairly new to home theater, but I have found that the Dolby website has a lot of good information on the various formats. Specifically, see the link below for a good summary of the various Dolby formats for consumers:

http://www.dolby.com/company/is.ot.0011.TechOverview.05.html

As far as your question about watching Dolby Digital shows -- It is my understanding that you would have to have a receiver capable of decoding Dolby Digital, as well as a pure digital source, such as DVD, Digital Satellite, or digital cable. But I thought I read somewhere on the Dolby website that Dolby Digital is backwards compatible, so that if you only have a Dolby Pro Logic Receiver, then you could get the Dolby Pro Logic channels out of a Dolby Digital Broadcast.

By the way, does your KSW-12 make a big difference? I just purchased a KSW-12 to go with my Legend towers, and I can hardly tell the difference. See my post in this forum under "correct configuration for subwoofer in large room" if you like. Just wondering how you like yours.

------------------

Front: KLF 10 Towers

Sub: KSW 12

Rear Surrounds: Bose Bookshelf (temporary)

Receiver: Sony STR-DE845

DVD: Sony DVP-S360

VCR: Sony

TV: 27" RCA

The KSW-12 is an "ok" addition to the setup....

The problem (IMHO) is that the RF-3's don't produce nearly as tight of base nor as balanced with the Mids & Highs as i would like. (Going to try Bi-wiring to improve the tightness of the base....but thats down the road). The KSW-12 does little to fillin the RF-3's and I often find it muddled and dull. However, if your mainly watching movies...it will be "ok".

From other postings in the forum's your going to have more trouble with the KLF-10's since, if I remeber corectly, they have even less base

Just TRY SEVERAL PLACEMENTS....it makes a HUGE difference in quality

------------------

Receiver: Denon AVR-3801

DVD: Denon DVD-1000

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RS-3's

Center: RC-3

SubW: KSW-12

quote:

Originally posted by JD2:

As far as your question about watching Dolby Digital shows -- It is my understanding that you would have to have a receiver capable of decoding Dolby Digital, as well as a pure digital source, such as DVD, Digital Satellite, or digital cable.

I have a Denon AVR-3300 and a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2001 cable box that has a coxial digital output. When Denon set to Auto, the receiver switches between Dolby Logic and Dolby Digital depending on the signal. All movies on HBO, Showtime and Max are being broadcast Dolby Prologic, however I have gotten an occasional Dolby Digital signal. The Denon 3300 has only one coaxial output for this purpose which I am utilizing. The sound is terrific.

Bill J.

------------------

Bill James

Bill,

Out of curiosity, are you able to receive any of the major network's prime time broadcasts in Dolby Surround (Pro Logic or Digital)?

One of the things I was looking forward to when I purchased my home theater system was being able to watch some of the major network shows, such as C.S.I., X-Files, etc. in Dolby Surround. But apparently either my local cable company or my local networks (I don't know which) is not broadcasting any of those shows with Dolby Surround. Frown.gif Just curious if anyone out there is actually getting to watch the "prime time" TV shows with Dolby Surround.

------------------

Front: KLF 10 Towers

Sub: KSW 12

Rear Surrounds: Bose Bookshelf (temporary)

Receiver: Sony STR-DE845

DVD: Sony DVP-S360

VCR: Sony

TV: 27" RCA

I have direcTV, without local channels (to be added SOON!)...so I watch the local channels through bunny-ear antenna.

It depends on your local station whether or not they broadcast the Dolby audio.

Here we have 2 CBS's, 1 ABC, 1 FOX and 2 NBC's. You can tell which ones broadcast the surround audio and which ones don't - huge difference when the surround speakers kick in.

If you notice at the beginning of shows, the Dolby Surround logo comes up, and underneath there's a disclaimer:

(where available)

------------------

Front: dbx Soundfield V - 15" woofer, 8" mid, ribbon tweet, 3.25" mid & dome tweet on top

Rear Surround: Polk f/x bipole/dipole

Amp: Yamaha RX-V990 100x3; 25x2

DVD: Yamaha DVD S795 (built-in DD Processor)

CD: Yamaha CDC 575 5-Disc

VCR: Toshiba M752 6-head

TV: Mitsubishi 40" Tube

DirecTV

Sony Playstation w/ s-vid & RCA to V990 for awesome gaming picture & sound!

I believe the original Dolby Surround System (matrix) could use 5.1 speakers. The "surround" used 10 mS of delay plus Dolby spec noise reduction. (My brother-in-law has a 4 channel Yammie.) But there was no reason to not have a center and a sub to make it 5.1.

The matrix system had to be called "Dolby" because it used his spec for noise reduction in the surrounds.

Pro-logic put in a bit more processing. The circuit would direct the sound to the calculated correct speaker. E.g., this signal just appears in the left channel input; so keep it out of the center. (Center would be L+R in the crude matrix.) Or, this signal is very much out of phase; let's send it to the surrounds (L-R) only. As you point out, still two channel input.

Dolby Digital is form of digital multiple channel storage and transmission. Hence the processor doesn't have derive the 5.1 outputs from 2 channel input.

Of course, "Dolby" refers to Ray Dolby. He worked on video recording for Ampex. Then designed and marketed several noise reduction systems. The most familiar is Dolby B which is used in cassette recording. Dolby C was used in studio tape machines.

Gil

This message has been edited by William F. Gil McDermott on 07-13-2001 at 09:00 PM

quote:

Originally posted by JD2:

Bill,

Out of curiosity, are you able to receive any of the major network's prime time broadcasts in Dolby Surround (Pro Logic or Digital)?

No, not at this time, I only receive digital sound from cable broadcasts in my market area. I am aware of one local station that HDTV capabilities, but I have not watch any of the broadcasts to see if I would even get a digital signal. I think I need more equipment than what I have.

------------------

Bill James

the only stations i've ever gotten dd 5.1 broadcasts on

select movies from my digital cable is showtime & starz (so far).

don't have a hd tv so can't say on those channels.

from my understanding, everything else on the digital channels is encoded in dolby surround or 2.0. pro-logic is what your receiver's decoder does w/ a 2 channel/stereo signal such as an analog stereo signal from a non-digital channel.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

This message has been edited by boa12 on 07-15-2001 at 12:29 AM

i'm sorry to say, but NOTHING, even the greatest DTS mix, would make this movie worthwile.

the ONLY thing I liked was that no camera angle was straight, they were all crooked. creative...

but thew rest wasn't even good enough for my mom's cat to watch.

yea that seems to be the critic's consensus too. i only watched about 10 min. actually. Biggrin.gif

how'd they ever get travolta to do that 1? $ i guess.

also, on HBO right after, "road to el dorado" was also in dd 5.1. girlfriend's 5 yr. nephew really liked it.

though was a lil scared of the monster scenes cwm35.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z1 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

This message has been edited by boa12 on 07-21-2001 at 09:56 PM