Finishing my decorator raw birch Cornwall's

Ok guys, I need your help, I finally moved into my new home, got my living room unpacked and the stereo up. and have been testing my neighbors patience with my cornwalls. I would really like to finish my cornwalls but im very undecided as to what method to use. They are in very good shape and I could get away with just doing the linseed oil treatment, BUT.. Ever since Greg went and posts those beautiful rosewood Khorns pictures I have not stopped drooling. Most of my furniture in the living room is a dark cherry finish and Im thinking those decorator cornwalls would look very nice finished in the rosewood (as long as they look as red as the pictures he posted) ah what to do, what to do 8.gif so this is where your help comes in??? Do I use the rosewood or would another type of wood veneer be better?

post-3605-138192543267_thumb.jpg

Why not try to match your cherry? I know it won't have the grain like the rosewood but you'll find that most rosewood isn't really that red. I'd bet you could come very close to matching your furniture.

Just a thought.

Edit: Another option would be to stain your existing cabinets.

I thought about staining them cherry, but the one small thing that bothers me with the way they were made is that you can see the side edges of the plywood on the front face (did that make sense)? which IMO takes away from a "finished" look.

If you don't believe decorators can be finished to a beautiful condition then you have not seen Chris King's red cherry finished Cornwalls. Use Search to find a post of Chris's and check out his avatar or system profile. No reason to add new veneer if your's are in good shape.

John,

Just saw this post today, been out of town. My CW's were unfinished from the factory then rubbed with many coats of Linseed oil. Over the years the Linseed yellowed, giving sort of blonde look to them. I sanded the crapola out of them before bringing 'em to a finishing shop were they were stained to the color you see and sealed. The shop could have stained them just about any color I wanted as long as it was darker than the blonde hue they were at the time. I think yours look pretty darned good the way they are.

Good Luck,

Chris