Oil Treatment for KG's

I am proud to report that my quest to surround myself in Klipsch just got one step closer to completion! I found a nice pair of KG1's on ebay to go with my KG3's and my KV2.

Now, I want to do the boiled linseed oil treatment for everything. Based on info I have gathered here in the Forum, it looks like the oil should be cut with 50% mineral spirits, applied to the wood, and the excess wiped off.

Anyone have any other important tips?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Welcome to the forum!

The Klipsch formula is boiled linseed oil mixed with turpentine. I personally like to use boiled linseed oil, turpentine, and minwax stain in a 5:3:1 mixture.

The addition of the stain will really bring back the color to tired, dry looking veneer. Note: I do not recommend this mixture for raw birch cabinets. Only the veneered cabinets like walnut, mahogany, oak, et cetera.

This formula works very, very well on tired veneer, but of course, do a small test area first.

Warm regards,

Klipschguy

HatTrick-

If the finish on the speakers is still good, there is no need to cut the oil with mineral spirits. I just bought BLO from HD and slathered it on, let it sit for about 10 min, then wiped off the excess and buffed. Some folks use a little 000 steel wool while the speakers are still wet, but I haven't been that adventurous. Do a search for that and you'll have lots of info.

As Bkrop mentioned, dispose of the oily rags properly. Either put them in a metal container, or lay them flat outside to let them air dry. If you leave them in a pile, they WILL eventually burst into flames. I had read that some folks put them into a ziploc bag, roll out the air, and then zip it closed. This could allow you to reuse the rags if you needed to do another coat in a day or two. Personally, rags are cheap, so I'll just let mine air dry and get more for the next coat.

I agree if the finish is still good, do not delete.. For one thing, the second batch of deletion may be different or off slightly later, giving you two different types of looks. (Not good.)

I have seen great results from the Boiled Linseed oil.. (And no, do not boil it... it comes this way for the un informed..LOL) It makes everything look very new again!.

Watch out for the rags...Were not kidding too. A trash container afterwards is NOT a good place for wet rags. We would hate to see your garage, then your house, with your Klipsch speakers burn away.

I can't give you any advice on BLO as a good product to use as a finish.

People like the effect.

I've used various wipe on varnish type finishes. Some are called tung oil, some are called polyeurethane (sp). Both build a finish to a much greater extent than BLO.

I will point out that "in the old days" BLO was a very commonly used ingredient. It seems that when it oxidizes in air to solidify there is some heat produced. This is not a problem until you put a wadded up rag in a small space. The danger was well understood by people using it.

Putting any rag out to dry while spread out was not a problem. It just stiffens as the stuff dries. But throwning them in a trash can or the like allows a build up of heat in a small area, and the stuff is flamable. Hence, fire.

The problem may be that the admonishment (Bill H. take note) that "oily" rags cause fires didn't make sense in recent times when BLO is not common.

Motor oil does not, classic varnish does not, shellac does not, the mineral oil sold as furnature polish does not. So there were no warnings for these products.

It is my understanding that Watco products are indeed based on BLO and they had to be very careful bringing the disposal issue to the fore, again. The new generation of users did not have the common knowledge of past generations.

The availablity of BLO in a can at places like HD brings the old wisdom re disposal to the fore.

In any event, do be careful about what you're getting into with mixing, using, and disposing of any of the finishing products. Read the directions. We want you and your speakers around for a long time. No fire sales by widows.

Gil

Thanks to all. Great information including some important safety tips for all of us to remember when using BLO.

The veneer on my speakers, including the ones I have acquired recently , remains in pretty good shape. I am looking forward to seeing how they look after I am done. The good news seems to be that no matter which method you use, it is simple enough to do it more often than the once every 10 year schedule I have been on.

Thanks again,

Dean