I sure do like my Klipsch speakers,

"When I got them someone before me tore off the sides so I nailed some wood that matched the other wood to finish them, but I don't see any numbers on them."

----------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Puddin', funny stuff! Where is your stand up act playing?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My Klipsch speakers are real good also, but they are awefully big. But they sound really good. But everybody says they are to big so I got some little speakers since these speakers are too big. But boy do they sound good, even though they are big. But the little speakers also sound good, but my friends tells me I should've Bought Other Sound Equipment. But those little speakers are so cute and I can play with them like building blocks. Neat how they stack up and can also make music and sound good for building blocks that make music. But I like my big speakers better. They sound way better than the little speakers, so I unloaded the little speakers for twice what I paid for them to some unsuspecting sucker on the other side of the trailer park. hehe. I told him they were a really rare set that nobody else in the neighborhood had. I wonder if cassette tapes will make a comeback also. I gave all my cassette tapes away to goodwill, but maybe I sound dig my cassette player out of the bottom of the hamper and hook it up again since that sound like it would be fun.

----------------

On 5/10/2004 9:30:09 PM Vanilla Pudding wrote:

I don't know what you mean by Nesbitt crate but I used Finland plywood from a wood shop down the road and stained the some color. The horn in the top part is a big metal one and theres a small one next to it.

What are they?

----------------

Can you get your camera out and take a picture and post it up for us? We would really like to see these cool Klipsch speakers that you have. BTW, are they flush into a corner?

----------------

On 5/10/2004 9:28:56 PM Cleve wrote:

M-O-O-N,
that spells Klipsch. Laws yes, everybody knows that!

----------------

Dayam, I thought my wife and I were the only ones that used that. I think between you and us, we're three of the eight people who have seen that movie.

----------------

I don't know what you mean by Nesbitt crate but I used Finland plywood from a wood shop down the road and stained the some color. The horn in the top part is a big metal one and theres a small one next to it.

What are they?

----------------

Does your speakers look like this?:

15_medium.jpg

----------------

On 5/10/2004 9:41:55 PM skonopa wrote:

----------------

What are they?

----------------

Does your speakers look like this?:

"<a
http://www.klipsch.com/media/Products/15_medium.jpg">

----------------

Why yes they do! Whatever are they? We orginally bought them as plant stands but the plants liked the music so much that they grew into the sky. One day I smoked a piece of my plant and then climbed way up high on it into the clouds. The last thing I heard was "FEE FIE FO FUM." Is that what model speaker they are?

Rick

----------------

On 5/10/2004 9:58:00 PM Vanilla Pudding wrote:

Yes.

----------------

Now, just exactly what did you mean that the "sides" were missing? The rear of the speaker that forms the "V" part of the home plate?

----------------

On 5/11/2004 12:17:19 AM Luuz0r wrote:

a homeplate on top.. aha that's true though, it does look like it

----------------

ROFLMAO... For some reason i didn't quit catch that until you pointed it out...

----------------

What are they?
----------------

Oh - Sorry, I didn't realize you were so serious, so time to drop the levity:

Finland plywood does give the cabinet a nice Finnish. As to the type of speaker - you seem to have come across one of the rarest, and most expensive, Klipsch speakers made - When Paul Klipsch started he was very poor and had to use parts from several of the non running automabiles that littered his front yard (we are talking Arkansas after all). The big horn is a mid range that he modified from a 1942 WWII salvaged diesel military cargo truck. Many today still claim it is the best sounding of all the lens he used. The little one next to it was (if you have the original) the feet off an Art Deco Curio cabinet. It is rumored that he found this at the legendary Hope Antique and Flea Market - Daisy's Derelict and Delectable.

As to putting the wood on the sides - don't worry. This was Paul's original design, but there came a torrential rain in the midst of building the cabinet and he had to use the additional plywood to build a bridge across the water so he could easily get to the chicken coops. Being a bit destitute, and finding the plywood walkway attractive, he decided to leave the sides off and tell folks to put them in the corner. Despite the claims of 'snake oil' engineering, the idea struck a fancy with big city folks - it seems there was an excessive number of empty corners in those big houses - and Klipsch was on his way to fame with his 2/3 completed speaker. I imagine your putting the sides on would have brought a twinkle to Paul's eye.

In his latter years, Paul also won some noteriety for his Vodka flavored ice cream, developed an orange that tasted like a lemon, established a charity for the tone deaf and discovered a larger, faster electron. As a matter of fact, if you look around, you can find special cables that transport the larger electron - this will really open up the bass on your speaker.

My apologies. As Steven Wright said:

Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here"

----------------

On 5/10/2004 10:07:23 PM 3dzapper wrote:

Why yes they do! Whatever are they? We orginally bought them as plant stands

----------------

Well, I've been posting around this forum for a while. This forum is very informative and good, however, I do notice that there are a large amount of people here who believe that the Khorn is the best speaker for displaying plants ever and do not even care to listen to the opinions of those few who dare post against the great Khorn. The Khorn is a great speaker, and makes for a great shelf. However it is by no means the best speaker for displaying plants, curios, Hummels, et al. I've seen Khorns since the 1970s and I thought they were the best speaker period for this purpose. However, a few years ago, I made a trip down to one of the new local "hi fi" stores in town and on display there were the Avantgarde Duos for $20,000. Mind you, I thought the Klipschorns were the best shelving period, regardless of price. I wanted to try them just so I could assure myself that my Khorns blew them out of the water. Well, this audition definitely did not assure me. It scared me. During the entire trial, I was sweating. I was realizing the fact that the Duos were capable of displaying things my Khorns could not. Their shelving capacity was so wonderful and the view of the store's English Ivy was breathtaking. The finish was so waterproof - it would resist spotting possibly better than my Khorns!

On my way back home, I could not stop thinking about that night. I went through all the possibilities, it had to be the room... maybe I was just mistaken. Maybe they just looked "different" to me, that's why they seem like they could shelve items better. Well anyway, I called them and asked them if I could bring my own plants and Moo Cow Creamer to compare. That same day, I brought those, and some other knick-knacks to the store. We took the Khorns into the room, placed them into the corners. Set them up and soon enough they were ready to display. I took my favorite plant and set it atop. Wow. My faithful Klipschorns did a beautiful job. I knew for sure that the Avantgardes were no match. After fifteen minutes or so, we switched over to the Avantgardes -- using my same house plant. I was expecting them to look dull. That was not the case. The Avantgardes made my Klipschorns look like a TV tray or a baseball diamond. I was shattered, I really was. I couldn't believe it. I switched back to the Khorn and it just looked off-balance and, well, there was just no comparison. Surely there was something wrong with the Khorns, I checked the feet, made sure everything was in screwed in properly. Everything was perfect. I couldn't understand what the problem was. The employee at the store knew what I was going through. He told me that he too had Klipschorns and believed they were the greatest shelves ever, but he moved on to Avantgarde horns as well. Anyway, I purchased the Duos and took a pair home. Set them up in the same rooms as my Khorns and well, they looked even better in my house. And that was before they were broken in. The visuals were astounding. The display of plants was wonderful. Everything was wonderful. The advanced finish of the Duos blended in seamlessly with my favorite ferns. But still I was not happy. I couldn't accept the fact that there was a speaker better for holding things than the Klipschorn. I grew up thinking the Klipschorn was the greatest speaker/shelf ever. I mean, even my dad would tell me this when I was young. This belief turned out to be wrong, well, at least now. I have to give the Klipschorn credit though, it is a 60 year old design that holds it's own against the most modern technology. Yes, the Duo is a better shelf, but it doesn't quite sound $12,000 better. Considering the age and price, the Klipschorn is still an amazing speaker.

----------------

On 5/10/2004 11:48:56 PM Vanilla Pudding wrote:

That's right---I closed it up so it would look OK from the back. They sit on either side of the sofa.

----------------

Okay, after everybody on here is having their fun, but I have to break it to you dude!

What you got is a pair of Klipschorns. The back is supposed to be opened like that. These speakers are ment to be placed into corners, with the corner itself "completing" the speaker.

I can only imagine what closing it up like that would had to of done to the sound quality of these things. 14.gif