Using RC-7 w/ "less deserving" mains?

jephdood

I asked this as part of another thread awhile back, but I wanted to get more of a response and a consensus.

Does anybody have an RC-7 center splitting a pair of mains that seem to work really well in your own experience even though Klipsch suggests a different matching center? I'm currently running an RC-3 II.

I really like what see (and hear) from the RC-7, and I want to pick one up because the argument is always, "get the best center you can.. X% of movie presentation comes from that channel". But, I'm wondering if my RF3s would work okay with the RC-7. Anybody running this baby with mains other than RF7s or RF5s? How's it working for you? Any opinions on my setup?

And no, buying a pair of 7s or 5s to go along with it isn't an option. 9.gif

The Reference series are all similarly voiced. Hence, the Refernce 3s will work with the RC-7. However, the RF-7s would sound better with the RC-7. If you go with the RC-7, I predict that upgraditis will be the result. It happened to me that way.

Bill

----------------

On 5/11/2004 9:41:56 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

The Reference series are all similarly voiced. Hence, the Refernce 3s will work with the RC-7. However, the RF-7s would sound better with the RC-7. If you go with the RC-7, I predict that upgraditis will be the result. It happened to me that way.

Bill

----------------

Man - ain't that the truth! I initially upgraded just the center then ended up with the whole 7 package!

I agree with Bill - the RC-7 should work fine with the 3's, just not as good as with the 7's. You will have to play with the settings some, but I would think you could dial it in. You are correct, center is incredibly important for HT.

I concur. Started the major upgrade itch by upgrading my center to a RC7 first. Ran the center along with RF3IIs for a while, and so long as you RS meter all, the slight difference in timber matching is not all that big of a deal. Sure, there's a difference, but not a drastic one. That, and I grow to respect the RC-7 more and more each day as a truly fine center.

But again, you were warned. RF7s will then be in your future, somewhere down the road.

Its a disease. (But a good one).

Carl.

Okay.. Well, barring any "NO! Don't do it!" advice, I'll be on the lookout for a good deal on an RC-7 then. Thanks guys.

You're probably right that I'll end up upgrading my mains at some point. And maybe I'll do that down the road when they're clearing them out for the next big Klipsch Reference model.. but not right now. Heck, I just bought the RF-3s. 3.gif

----------------

On 5/11/2004 11:59:30 PM jephdood wrote:

You're probably right that I'll end up upgrading my mains at some point. And maybe I'll do that down the road when they're clearing them out for the next big Klipsch Reference model.. but not right now. Heck, I just bought the RF-3s.
3.gif

----------------

Ah! Logic! That kind of thinking will have to go. 2.gif

I can't speak for the RC3 II, but I had an RC35 before I got the RC7. I thought I would be getting a speaker that was slightly more efficient and could go louder but not much difference in tonal quality at similar volumes. What I got was a speaker that was noticeably cleaner at all levels of listening. The 35 had a type of "man talking in a box" sound, whereas the 7 removed the box...... if that makes sense. I feel it was well worth the money considering how much the center speaker is used for voice reproduction. Carl

gtDark, you beat me to it. :) I was also going to point to that thread. As you probably noticed, the last post there was mine, where I shared my observation of dramatically improved CC performance after I moved it lower to the ear level. I thought a photo would probably describe better what I was trying to explain. You will find a merged photo, left portion is my HT just before I sold the RPTV, and the right portion the day after with the LCD panel instead of RPTV. Note that CC now is on the same hight as RF3 horns, and that it points directly at the main listening position.

Pardon the dust, I was trying to find a new place for all those DVDs after I had to vacate the old TV stand.

post-12165-13819254999452_thumb.jpg

Dude... Skip the RF3s and go all RC7s, front center and right. I'm willing to be that the RC7s will sound better than RF3. I did some serious listening to the RC7s a while back, they are an incredible speaker. I would NEVER be worried about having an all RC7 up front theater. Of course I would rather have all RF7s as I do, but a second choice would be all RC7s. 1.gif

m00n man.. How goes it?

Yeah, all RF7s would be nice. Like I said, I'll pinch my pennies and when places start clearing those out for the next big Klipsch release, then I'll swoop in and pick up a pair of RF7s for a sweet price. Until then, the RF3s will be good.

All RC7s would be another expensive proposition. I could swing one new one for the center, but three would be pushing the budget a bit.

So I'll keep the peepers peeled for an RC-7. From what I gather, most feel that the upgrade in sound would far exceed any small timbre match issues, if there even are any.

Ah yes... I suppose I should have read a little closer, for some reason I was thinking you were in teh market for buying some RF3's. If ya already got them, then just get yourself the RC7 for a center. It will do you great.1.gif