Which magazines should I subscribe on?

basse

Hey,

I am looking around to subscribe on a couple of Home Theater Mags on the web. Sound & Vision any good magazines? Well, pretty cheap on the web, 10$ for one year!! plus 10$ for me in Norway.... but hey, thats cheap?

Any suggestions?

IMHO....DON'T, buy them as you see fit, and browse weekly\monthly in you local 7-11 or bookstore. I did subscribe before(Sound and Vision) and found myself not getting what I paid for so to speak,(time to read all issues thoroughly), read part and put it away.

The online web subscriptions I found to be worse in content than a magazine itself(lacking of)IMO...

Even my local web newspaper is not even close to the local daily paper print. The web is good, but not as good as a true magazine and the dedication that goes into it...IMO.

I now browse Chapters, Indigo books, 7-11, London Drugs, etc, on a regular basis, and if I see something I like in whatever mag, and want to read it, I buy it.

Unless you want the "free" promotional oversized coffee mug.....3.gif

I really like S&V. I think on one hand it has become better over the years because they review TVs, CDs and DVDs, but I like it before when it seemed (to me at least) they reviwed more products. The reviews are very easy to follow and understand. I have been a subscriber for about 15 years or so....

I also subscribe to Home Theater mag, very similiar, but always reviewing different products.

Dozens of excellent reviews are available free at Stereophile, EnjoyTheMusic.com, Secrets of Home Theater and StereoTimes online. I subscribe to Stereophile for several reasons, NOT one of which is why I think you should:

First, at a buck an issue, I read the whole thing from cover to cover, which is an evenings cheap entertainment for me.

Second, though their graphs and measurements are as obtuse as Scientific American magazine used to be, their thorough and objective examination is a refreshing revelation in this highly subjective best I have ever heard hobby.

Third, as the stereo hobby shrinks from the multi-channel format that should have saved it, a venerable institution like Stereophile magazine needs my pitiful support. It is one of the few remaining true audio magazines left standing, albeit in much skinnier fashion than its former glory days.

Fourth, their recent efforts to review actual purchase choices (moderate and budget equipment, by R. Reina) have made the magazine a practical investment. It is now possible that I might review, purchase or recommend one of the pieces because their review. Their recent review of three tweaking audiophile classic $1,000 tower loudspeakers is perfect example of that. After reading their opinions and seeing the objective graphic evidence, why would anybody in that market NOT seriously consider one of those towers?

Fifth, I have briefly heard a few of the dream systems they review and in my own plebian way, agree with much of their stated and implied subjective opinions. Therefore, I can extend some of certain reviewers feelings to front-end equipment that I have NOT personally met.

Sixth, in this same rich vein of knowledge, they have recently added a few tube-loving reviewers who I do respect: Art Dudley and Sam Telling.

Seventh, because of this, and the changes mentioned above, the magazine no longer carries the snobbish attitude bashing tube, horn and low-cost equipment of its former high-flouting days.

9.gif

I like what Colin mentioned. Their some good free reviews and i do read enjoy the music.com and anythng i can get my eyeballs on. Also sound and vision at ten bucks a year is not bad at all. I like the eye candy it gives you. It's more now about new equipment rather than setup. They can only teach you so much. You find yourself reading the same thing over and over on hometheater setup. That's when you quit your subscription. Unless you still want to check out the new amazing tv's and gadgets. Tnt audio is another goodie.

----------------

On 5/16/2004 6:57:53 PM basse wrote:

Thanks
:)

So you dont like Sound & Vision?

----------------

I like Sound and Vision Okay, and think it's an excellent magazine for people just starting out. But once you get deeper into Home Theater/Audio, you will find that it is a little TOO basic. I also feel that their DVD reviews leave something to be desired. If I want a critical review of the content of a movie, I can pick up lots of movie magazines. When I read a Home Theater magazine, I want DVD reviews to tell me how good the Picture and Sound Quality are, and I really don't care if the Director's commentary was particularly engaging or not.

I think as far as mainstream HT mags go, Home Theater Magazine gives you more bang for your buck.

With Widescreen Review, they get a little "tweaky" but not too much like Stereophile or Absolute Sound. If you read WSR cover to cover each month, you will definitely be up to date on the latest in the home theater world, and as a bonus, you will know which Movies will do your system justice, and what movies you can look forward to in the coming months. After all, that is why we have surround sound systems, right? To watch movies?

I don't know why widescreen review's website is down?? It is worth checking back, even if you aren't a subscriber.

Wasn't Sam Tellig the same guy who recommended spraying armor all on your cds to make them sound 'clearer'? Or using a 'special' green magic marker around the edges of a cd to control laser beam diffraction or something to that effect? While I used to enjoy his bantering I have learned to take his reviews with a grain of salt as he can obviously hear many things I cannot (or maybe don't want to) ;-)

By the way, I still receive Stereophile as well as a number of other audio mags. It never hurts to stay informed as long as you keep the reviews in perspective as I'm sure most in this forum do.

Regards,

Dave

----------------

On 5/17/2004 9:18:08 AM Colin wrote:

• Sixth, in this same rich vein of knowledge, they have recently added a few tube-loving reviewers who I do respect: Art Dudley and Sam Telling.

9.gif

----------------

yeah, I too used disc mats for while and liked their small different difference that John Atkinson of Stereophile magazine describes. A distinction, Henry Fielding (17071754) said, without a difference. Some of these things work, but I dont know why5.gif