Another Academy on E-Bay

Klipsch877

plummer, the academy is listed as the perfect match for my forte II's on the klipsch website as a center. Wouldn't you know, my forte's are oiled oak. How much do you want? (it would have to be below what i can get an rc35 for). just wondering.....

Kinda fascinating to see a number of Academy's up on eBay recently, most selling for less than $500. Price has come down quite a bit in just the past couple of months, though $500 is still a bit pricey. Hard to believe that 1-2 sold for nearly $900.

----------------

On 5/18/2004 2:58:42 PM jhawk92 wrote:

Kinda fascinating to see a number of Academy's up on eBay recently, most selling for less than $500. Price has come down quite a bit in just the past couple of months, though $500 is still a bit pricey. Hard to believe that 1-2 sold for nearly $900.

----------------

About time the Academy feeding frenzy slowed a bit.1.gif

Plumber-

We're not ganging up on you. Hopefully you can get the big bucks for your Academy. It's just that in the past 3-6 months, Academys were going for incredible amounts of cash, enough to easily get a set of Forte IIs, or maybe even Chorus IIs.

The Academy is an incredible speaker, timbre-matched for the Chorus/Forte/Quartet line, which is a great line. There weren't that many made, so it's a supply and demand thing. I really enjoy mine as it really makes a great front trio of speakers. It's all up to the individual bidders as to what an Academy is worth. For me, $500 is pretty pricey, and pushing $900 is crazy, but maybe the bidder was local, REALLY wanted it, etc.

I watch all Academy auctions for fun, and the last 3-4 sold for less than $500. Ones earlier this year were in the $800-900 range. So, yes, the prices have come down, though I'm sure it's not due to our ranting here. I have noticed that, at least for speakers, the cold months (Oct-Mar) usually get higher bids than the spring months. Maybe because people are indoors in the winter and can spend time with new gear, whereas in the summer, they have all sorts of other, outdoor demands. Who knows. But hopefully you can get your pricing. If I didn't already have mine, I'd be in the mix for your OO one, as it would match the rest of my speakers. And buying from a forum member is a good thing.