Movie Theaters Give You The Creeps?

bchild311

People that clap at movies are totally lame.

Applause is traditionally used to show the performers that their efforts are appreciated by the audience.

No performers = no clapping.

I personally do not care that some idiot in the crowd "liked" the movie or has to otherwise burn off excess adrenaline by clapping at a movie because he/she/it got "excited".

Frankly, inappropriately excitable people give me the willies.

I'm with bchild311.

DM2.gif

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 5/19/2004 6:27:53 PM D-MAN wrote:

Applause is traditionally used to show the performers that their efforts are appreciated by the audience.

I personally do not care that some idiot in the crowd liked the movie or has to otherwise burn off excess adrenaline by clapping at a movie because he/she/it got excited.

Frankly, inappropriately excitable people give me the willies.

I'm with bchild311.

DM

----------------

Obviously, you never saw any of the Rocky movies in a theater. During Rocky IV (which I saw while in high school), the crowd went CRAZY. People were standing up and cheering and yelling....you can't get that at home. Also, I went to Ghostbusters during it's opening week and the laughter was so loud and continuous that we missed half the dialog. We ended up going back the next week to see/hear what we missed. You couldn't have had that experience at home, unless you invited a LARGE number of people over. Sure, going to the movies has its drawbacks, but human interaction is not necessarily an evil. Except for some people.....

BTW, don't come over to my house to watch the NY Giants or NY Islanders play. I WILL give you the willies!!!!!

Anyway, the best part of going to a movie is taking my wife and NOT the kids! About the only way I can watch a movie in uninterrupted bliss.

Jeff

----------------

On 5/19/2004 6:27:53 PM D-MAN wrote:

----------------

Geeze, sorry I interrupted the credits for you. I will continue to clap at the end of movies because it is fun to do so. Didn't realize it was such a big deal to some people. That makes me want to do it even more.

As far as concerts go, the tickets are too expensive. Other than that, they are totally worth it. If I had more money, I would go to every concert possible. If you think it's more fun to sit at home and watch the DVD, then you must be the guy that sits down and never leaves his seat. To me, there are very few occasions where you get to "let it all hang out" and scream at the top of your lungs. Concerts and Sporting Events are about the only rare occasions that you can do this.

Well, because the biggest TV in the house is 32" (a nice flat tube Sharp, though), and the best sound system is in my room with a 27" JVC (no sub or surrounds - yet...) - I still need to go to the movies to get a decent experience. Fortunatly, my local theater is really good.

However, when I am out of college, buy a house, get the FP and 110" screen, setup my exsisting audio gear (by then, Synergy's, SVS, Denon receiver, etc.), I will only use theaters to see movies that cannot wait for on DVD.

But, there is something nice about actually getting out of the house with friends and seeing a movie, but the mall/parking lot around my local theater has the highest car theft/burgulary rate in the city 6.gif

At the end of the day, sitting in your own home in a theater you 'made' youself, with a PAUSE button, and VOLUME CONTROL is just great! At least I was able to get thru ROTK's with a large soda and not have to 'excuse' myself - but my *** was sore from the seat 7.gif

----------------

On 5/19/2004 toddvj wrote:

Based on what? You just mentioned that there are crowds everytime you go out to the movies. I don't think they are hurting for business just yet.

----------------

toddvj: Yeah, it does "seem" that I contradicted myself here. Sorry about that. Please allow me to clarify this:

You are correct, I did say there are crowds, and I did say that I must attend shows that are shown at odd times such as (dinnertime) in order to avoid them. But, what I didn't say is that the Detroit Metropolitan area now has fewer than one third the amount of theaters they had just 10 years ago. Example: A local mall just tore down their 5-screen theater two years ago and replaced it with more retail spaces. And, although, most of the remaining theaters are multiple or megascreen entities, it seems that these crowds tend to gather only for pictures that have just been released, while attendance for features being shown on the theater's 17-other screens is going begging. I have to believe that is the case in other large cities, too. As an example of this, we and our friends like to frequent the MJR 20 in Southgate, Michigan, which is about 7 miles from where we live in Allen Park. The theater has 3 concession stands, yet for the last 3 years, only one is ever open. They have 20 screens, yet at times as many as 5 are not in use and attendance in the rooms showing features that have been out for a couple of weeks is way down. I believe that fewer people are actually going to theaters than before. To support this statement, there was a recent article (within the last month or so) in the Detroit Free Press or Detroit News about this trend. The article said that people have gone back to "caving"; staying home and enjoying their entertainment in the form of satellite, cable or DVDs, etc. They claimed it began around the time of 9/11. I don't know that for sure, it was the newspaper's statement, not mine. They also said that there is now a huge trend in our area where many people are building dedicated home theaters or putting together media rooms.

I know I did say that theaters' days are numbered so you'd better go soon. Yes, I really do think their days are numbered, but they will still be around for at least the next 10 years. When I said "you'd better go soon", that was rhetorical. It's not that I WANT to see them go, I am simply stating what I have witnessed. If the current trend continues, the theaters will be hurting if they are not already. And according to what m00n said in his post right after your's, some theaters are already having trouble keeping thier heads above water. As he so astutely points out; they make almost no profit on the gate sales and rely heavily on concession sales. Now, THAT I did not know! Thanks, m00n!

Finally, one other thing that may do the theaters in is direct distribution. Some movie makers have already started distributing films directly to some theaters via satellite. The theater downloads the movie to their server and they are then licensed by the movie producers to show the film "X" amount of times on "X" amount of screens using high-end, large venue, filmless projectors. With the advent of broadband internet connections and home media PCs, at least one movie producer has discussed eventually selling new-release, single view licenses to directly to home-based consumers, thereby side-stepping the theaters altogether. The thought here is, this may happen within the next few years after the "Internet2" has gone residential. The Internet2 is currently being tested in Ann Arbor, Michigan and at colleges worldwide. It has an enormously high bandwidth in comparison to the existing internet. -Just food for thought. I hope this all clears up my earlier contraditon. Sorry, Todd. 15.gif

----------------

On 5/20/2004 8:09:53 AM picky wrote:

And according to what
m00n
said in his post right after your's, some theaters are already having trouble keeping thier heads above water. As he so astutely points out; they make almost no profit on the gate sales and rely heavily on concession sales. Now, THAT I did not know! Thanks, m00n!

----------------

I think your big chains are ok, your Regal's your AMC, your ACTIII theaters are probably ok, but the ones that are having issues seems to be the ones where you have ma and pa theater, then a big chain moves in across the street. How do you compete with that?

----------------

On 5/19/2004 10:42:42 PM toddvj wrote:

If you think it's more fun to sit at home and watch the DVD, then you must be the guy that sits down and never leaves his seat.

----------------

i am definitely NOT the guy who never leaves his seat,and i don't beleive i said it is more fun to watch the dvd...

i was saying how much i enjoy concerts on dvd,how the sound and view of the performers is generally better,and how dvd concerts give me the opportunity to experience concerts that i missed,or could never see again.

gee-i'll have to re-read my post-maybe you should too.

avman.

----------------

On 5/20/2004 m00n wrote:

I think your big chains are ok, your Regal's your AMC, your ACTIII theaters are probably ok, but the ones that are having issues seems to be the ones where you have ma and pa theater, then a big chain moves in across the street. How do you compete with that?

----------------

m00n: I'm not so sure about that. The theater that closed at the mall was an AMC and there was another 10-screen theater in a very busy strip mall near our house that just closed and it was a Star!

----------------

On 5/19/2004 11:06:41 AM BBB wrote:

The Creeps? Nah. Hey! What’s the projectionist playing with?

"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/tingler5.jpg">

----------------

THE TINGLER!!!?????

Haha, I haven't seen (or thought about) that monster in YEARS!!!! What would we do without ya, BBB?

9.gif

Oh yeah! The Tingler! (1959, I was 8)I thought that shadow looked familiar! Good, old, Vincent Price! I think that was the first movie to use butt shakers in the theater. Actually, back then they just placed big buzzers on selected seats and the projectionist would set them off at key moments. They called the effect, "PERCEPTO!" ...ah, technology! Where would be we without it? 16.gif

tingler.jpgpost-10177-13819255184212_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 5/20/2004 10:19:48 AM picky wrote:

----------------

On 5/20/2004 m00n wrote:

----------------

m00n:
I'm not so sure about that. The theater that closed at the mall was an AMC and there was another 10-screen theater in a very busy strip mall near our house that just closed and it was a Star!

----------------

I don't think the movie theater is going to go away completely. Reduced in numbers, yes, but not entirely. In fact, they just recently built a brand-new one in this area. There will always be that percentage of the population that thinks the only way to truly experience a film is to see it on the "big screen" at the theater, regardless of how robust one's home setup may be. Also, there is that human interaction that some of the folks pointed out that is hard to duplicate in a home setting. Granted, some movies are just that much more fun to watch with a large group at the local theater.

I also don't mind people applauding at the beginning (which people did when I saw Return of the King on opening night) or at the end, or even during the movie at appropriate parts. It seems to add a bit of excitment and energy to the whole movie-going experience.

Also, there will always be those few places that does niche type of things, such as art films. And, perhaps, in an attempt to compete with the home market, some theaters will attempt to do things, such as offer drink service or even dinner, to draw people out, or even try to capitalize on the whole "nostalgia" thing. After all, there are still some drive-in theaters around that does provide a unique movie-watching experience.

I see a similiar parallel with the video gaming industry. In the past, to play the truly cool games, you had to go to the arcade. Pac-Man on the Atari 2600 just was not anything like playing the "real thing" at the local arcade. Now-a-days, with the powerful gaming consoles and personal computers, most of the games that are available for these systems are as good as, or in some cases, better, than what could be played in the arcades. And with the emulators that are available for free download, even the old classics such as the aformentioned Pac-Man can be played exactly as if at the arcade. There are entire websites that will even show you how to build an arcade machine cabinet. And for those that don't want to build one, there are websites that will be more than happy to sell you one.

As a result, nobody goes to the arcades anymore. However, there are still some around, because there are those of us that still thinks that the only real way to play some of these games is on a real arcade machine, in an arcade. Also, most of the arcades are now part of the large "family fun centers" that often includes other things such as mini-golf and go-karts. And some of these places are also trying to capitalize on nostalgia by offering many of the old classics that were popular in the '80s. If I find a Spy Hunter machine that is in good working order, I still like to drop a quarter in it and play a game or two.

I think the same thing will happen to the movie theater. They may not be as many as in the past, but there will still be some around as long movies are still being made.

----------------

On 5/20/2004 skonopa wrote:

I don't think the movie theater is going to go away completely. Reduced in numbers, yes, but not entirely.

----------------

skonopa: Actually, I couldn't agree with you more. Not everyone wants to watch movies in their own home, and there will be those that are diehard fans of movie theaters. Nothing wrong with that! But, in 10 years or less, I predict that you will be hard-pressed to find any that still project actual film. I believe they will all be using the method I mentioned earlier in my posted answer to toddvj (unless they are showing old movies). Beyond that, who knows? Nostalgia? I'd like to see a few stick around.

That's sort of what happened to many of the "grand stage theaters" here in Detroit and a lot of other big cities both here and in Canada. They died. Some were demolished, some were converted to other uses, and now the big thing is to restore them. It's almost cyclic. The Fox Theater in downtown Detroit is a prime example of this. It closed years ago. It became dilapidated. It was restored and is now one of the "grandest old gals" in the country. But, I do not see them building new ones here, just restoring old ones, such as the Detroit Opera House, Orchestra Hall, The Gem, The Fisher, and the State. Also, The Pantages in Toronto. BTW: These theaters primarily have LIVE shows. They rarely just show movies. But, I am not saying that couldn't happen in the future with movie theaters, too. Other theaters such as the United Artists and Michigan weren't so lucky. They have faced, or are about to face, the wrecking ball. That's pretty sad. One thing is for sure: trends always seem to change and then repeat. I agree with a lot of what you'd said.

i think i've only been to 1 or 2 7PM shows at a local theater. Once for AUstin Powers3 that i was dragged to, and once for American Pie 2. Those are the ones where the theater is packed with folks and it wasnt very enjoyable, becuase of the usual talking etc. I dont usually watch a lot of movies in theaters, perhaps 1 a year, and when i do go, its usually at like a matnee show or a late night show, like after 12 or 11p or something. Maybe its becuase I live in Nashville, TN and its a comparatively small town compared to where most of you live, so at those times, i've never had any complaints about the audience, as there arent many people that go... but i guess i would definitely get annoyed if i go at the traditioinal times people go to.

as far as the experience? well, the sound sucks, my setup at home is better, but you cant beat the screen. I really like big screens with that full film resolution. Thats still sharper than HD, and I love it. Its so fluid and simple and I love the fact i'm looking at a series of pictures, not scan lines. I hope digital projectors never become a reality in nashville, but i digress.

Basically, even at home with a 125" screen, its *almost* the same experience, its very immersive, especially in pan shots, and if i can get like 10-15 friends together to watch a movie, then definitely fun times. I dont know, i'll still pop in to a theater for a 25 foot screen for those big releases, perhaps like Day After Tommorrow or something.

The theater I was at for LOTR:ROTK broke into applause when Sam (I think that's the right one) kicked Golem's ***. :)

I saw Saving Private Ryan the first weekend, with what I apporximate to be quite a few WWII aged vets, and the tension in the theatre was palpable. Got a little dusty when you find out the man in the cemetary is Private Ryan and not Cpt. Miller. Also a some clapping when Hanks blows up tank with his .45 pistol in what you assume is his final, suicidal, act of defiance. Of course we find out it's what I think was a P-51 coming to the rescue. The sound for that film was absolutely fantastic. Definately will be getting the 60th Anniversary of D-Day edition as I only have it on VHS at the moment.

Although I didn't see it, I hear Miracle had quite a few people cheering when the USA beat the Soviets. I still get the willies remembering how abuzz this country was when it really happened.

Crap you're right. I remember seeing Saving Private Ryan the first time in the theater. I had no idea what the movie was going to be like, just knew it was about some fictional tale tied into WWII. So from the first few min of the movie when they storm the beach in Normandy I swear my mouth just hung open for the next 2 hours. The sound in that theater for that movie was pretty killer and Spielberg's film style was unprecedented at the time.

Thanks for helping me remember that experience. I think the concensus to this post is that the movie theater is still enough for us all to go to for reasons of nostalgia or just to plain get out of the dang house!

----------------

"On 5/19/2004 6:27:53 PM D-MAN wrote:

I personally do not care that some idiot in the crowd liked the movie or has to otherwise burn off excess adrenaline by clapping at a movie because he/she/it got excited.

Frankly, inappropriately excitable people give me the willies."

WOW - The Rocky Horror Picture Show must a real blast for you heh!?!?!?!

About the video arcades. It seems like i play better at one because i just forked over whatever it going for now like two bucks. ANd i will play like my life depended on it just because i paid for it. On the rare occasion i go with my nephew. I can't afford em. I like the old fooseball