OK to bundle up power cords?

markmaple

I just bought a Monster Power HTS-3600 that I will be hooking up this weekend. When I reconnect everything, I would like to clean it up a little in back. If I only need a foot of power cord, is it ok to bundle up the extra and zip-tie it together or could this cause any interference or noise? What about tieing two or more cords together?

----------------

On 5/20/2004 7:53:35 AM markmaple wrote:

I just bought a Monster Power HTS-3600 that I will be hooking up this weekend. When I reconnect everything, I would like to clean it up a little in back. If I only need a foot of power cord, is it ok to bundle up the extra and zip-tie it together or could this cause any interference or noise? What about tieing two or more cords together?
----------------

it is better to make a long loop say down one side of the back of your rack than to coil up a power cord.... and yes it is ok to put several power cords together.....

always try to keep your interconnects and power cords separated......

1.gif

markmaple: In addition to the good advice that minn_male42 suggests above, if you must unavoidabily cross a power cord with an interconnect cord, be sure to do so at a right (90 degree) angle. That goes for speaker wires when crossing power cords, too.

----------------

On 5/21/2004 marksdad wrote:

It really does not matter if you bundle the power cord in its original cable tie, the electrons are not impeded, nor will it create heat or resistance

----------------

marksdad: I agree with your mentioning that there would probably be no effect on the current flow, heat and resistance, etc. However, (IMHO) I would be concerned about some sort of induction taking place and causing hum, and or interference with other components and interconnection cables. I would think that by winding a power cord into a tighly-wrapped loop, it may have the effect of an induction coil, of sorts. If I may be so bold, I think that is was minn_male42 was alluding to in his post.

On 5/21/2004 7:53:29 AM picky wrote:

However, (IMHO) I would be concerned about some sort of induction taking place and causing hum, and or interference with other components and interconnection cables. I would think that by winding a power cord into a tighly-wrapped loop, it may have the effect of an induction coil, of sorts. If I may be so bold, I think that is was
minn_male42
was alluding to in his post.

check!

2.gif

i kinda agree with that as well, but it is a pretty common practice to bundle cords in the questioned manner, i have done this in many computer rooms and telephone switching stations, it seems that thier main concern is asthetics, and to date i have never heard of them having any problems with thier equipment?12.gif

----------------

On 5/23/2004 10:29:58 AM marksdad wrote:

i kinda agree with that as well, but it is a pretty common practice to bundle cords in the questioned manner, i have done this in many computer rooms and telephone switching stations, it seems that thier main concern is asthetics, and to date i have never heard of them having any problems with thier equipment?
12.gif
----------------

computer and telephone applications are not audio applications.....

wrapping your cables like described might not cause a problem....but it could possible introduce noise into and audio system...... better safe than sorry....

1.gif

i do understand what you are saying minn, but, the last computer room i did was for united airlines, it was thier entire new flight training simulator school, we did 12 new simulators, which do include audio video and all computer related data to very acurately simulate almost any airport in the world, the amount of audio video that goes into each unit is amayzing, each simulator averages around 20 million apiece. we did make effort to seperate all data carrying cables including fibre optics, and one of the speks was that we bundled power cables in the mentioned manner to assist in power data seperation, and yes it was also audio video we were working to protect, so, being a humble electrician ,many times i do talk with the engineers to get to the reasons they spek things the way they do, and the power flowing at these lower voltages just dont concerne them12.gif

----------------

On 5/23/2004 10:44:36 AM minn_male42 wrote:

----------------

On 5/23/2004 10:29:58 AM marksdad wrote:

i kinda agree with that as well, but it is a pretty common practice to bundle cords in the questioned manner, i have done this in many computer rooms and telephone switching stations, it seems that thier main concern is asthetics, and to date i have never heard of them having any problems with thier equipment?
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/12.gif">
----------------

computer and telephone applications are not audio applications.....

wrapping your cables like described might not cause a problem....but it could possible introduce noise into and audio system...... better safe than sorry....

1.gif

----------------

in telephone applications and computers applications, wrapping the cable avoid the "diaphonie" (i hope this word is the same in french and in english because i didn t found it on my dictionary).

the diaphonie is the noise made my a pair of wire on another pair.

when the pair are not wrapped there is induction.if the wire are wrapped the induction of a cable is absorbed by is twin.

i don t know if this way of wrapping the cable is good for audio cable because the signal frequencies are not the same at all in networkink and audio stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

I am having the same hum problem you encountered with the Rotel 1068. The hum is only on the front pre-outs. Do you know who I need to contact at Rotel or should I just let my dealer handle the problem with Rotel.

The hum is really loud. I'll look forward to hearing from you.

• Like 1

Actually the humming interference of power cords is one of the reasons that improved insulation on speaker cables is supposed to make a difference

Computer installations are certainly NOT home movie and music reproduction systems: nobody runs a tubed PC because it sounds better. An engineer will tell you that there is no significantly measurable difference between quality solid-state amplifiers when they are NOT clipping, which actually has little to do with the real world of audio nirvana

5.gif