Dope From Hope from Justin

I just wanted to say a public Thank You to Justin, justin_tx_16, for making available the full set, as far as I know, of the Dope From Hope papers, plus some additional , for lack of a better term, White Papers concerning audio and it's reproduction. It's currently printing up in the front office, has been for a while, but I would never have guessed it was 282 pages!! Amazing how thick of a pile 282 pages is when it's fresh of the printer instead of in a ream with paper wrapper around it. I was planning on putting it in a small 3-ring binder, but seeing the thickness, I think it's gonna take two. Or three! I'd recommend to anyone to contact Justin to obtain a copy, for a small fee to support his website, from which the info is loaded. One caveat: If you do get it, make sure and watch your progress as it loads, I have DSL and it still took a while, but the first page is blank, so I didn't realize it was finished until I noticed the "Done" comment on the bottom of the screen. Thanks again Justin, I look forward to MANY hours of reading and learning!

Champagne,

You might want to give some credit to Artto, he was the one that compiled all that stuff. I don't know who scanned it in, the version Artto sent out was already printed (on both sides :)) I was one of the lucky ones that got a copy in the mail. Now, off to Justins site to get the soft copy. What a cool deal.

You are correct Tom, I am remiss in my failure to give kudos to Artto, if I recall it was he who mentioned to me that justin had the material available for download, but that it was he who had compiled it and given it to justin in the first place. Many thanks to Artto also for all the work involved in getting all the information together, truly a labor of love and very much appreciated.

p.s. In an e-mail from justin he said that he thought maybe only 16 or so people had loaded the papers. Why aren't more people taking advantage of this great opportunity to obtain significant, or at least very interesting, information from some of the best minds in audio?

Count me as one of the 16...I received it a few months back and tranferred it all to cd rom. While I'm not able to do quick searches and all, it still provides me the capability of reading it all without having to print. I'll eventually print it I'm sure but it feels safer on CD Rom vs. laying around on my hard drive waiting for the next crash...:-(. Interesting stuff for sure...Thanks again all who took the time to compile it!

Regards,

Dave

----------------

On 5/21/2004 8:20:31 AM Champagne taste beer budget wrote:

You are correct Tom, I am remiss in my failure to give kudos to Artto, if I recall it was he who mentioned to me that justin had the material available for download, but that it was he who had compiled it and given it to justin in the first place. Many thanks to Artto also for all the work involved in getting all the information together, truly a labor of love and very much appreciated.

p.s. In an e-mail from justin he said that he thought maybe only 16 or so people had loaded the papers. Why aren't more people taking advantage of this great opportunity to obtain significant, or at least very interesting, information from some of the best minds in audio?

----------------

just send me an email, justin(at)soundwise.org

Artto provided the materials, i added only a bit and scanned it all into a PDF document.

The blank page is something that really annoys me... it is not supposed to be blank, just was an intro page that for some reason ended up blank when i exported to PDF. Did not realize it, and lost the original file way back when.

Oh well, what's one page out of 282? 1.gif haha.

Coming August, if you want a printed and bound copy, I will be printing off another round. Just give me an email, limited copies. You only pay shipping/printing. Last time around I believe it was $20-25 for the whole shabang.

I have an internet copy of Justin's pdf file which was originally supplied by Artto. The cost a year and a half ago to Justin was, I believe $5 to help pay for his costs. A great deal, especially if you can take it to work and print it out on the laser printer so you also have a hard copy.

I definitely consider it excellent value for the limited dollars.

Don

It's not really a book, but a complilation of the Dope From Hope White Papers that were published by Paul W. Klipsch and others regarding the nature of sound prodution and the integral aspect of all the components involved, from speaker design up to and including the listening room and speaker positioning, equipment reviews and other stuff spanning many years, in a quick check I saw the years 1934 and 1989 on various pages, but that's not necessarly the full range of years covered.

Doing a quick thumb-through of the pages:

Basic Principles Of Stereophonic Sound

Stereo Localization: An Analysis Of Listener Reactions to Current

Techniques

Stereophonic Sound With Two Tracks, Three Channels By Means of a

Phantom Circuit

Notch Filtering

Fuses For Loudspeakers

False Corners

Room Proportions and Distribution of Eigentons

There is a LOT more there, as was said before, 282 pages, I haven't even begun reading through it yet, but once I do get through it I'm sure there will be information there I will use for referance for years to come. Highly recommended reading if you're into the reason things sound the way they do. If you want to just buy stuff, listen to it, then trade for something new every year or two without truly understanding what it is that's changing, or why the sound you hear is different, it might not mean much to you. JMHO, YMMV.