Turntable has bit the dust

My late 70's Yamaha turntable has finally bit the dust. When the record finishes, the arm lifts up and then moves in over the record label and sets itself down. Next it slides across the record making a sound that one must hear through horns to fully understand. It has happened three times and I think that I can no longer take the risk. I have no choice but to buy a new turntable. I have had a lot of expenses and will wait until I return from Vegas June 11th before purchasing. So, please, I know I have pondered this question before, but I have no choice but to buy a new turntable. What is your recommendation for something in the $250 - $350 range, used? Your experience is always appreciated. Thanks!! Enjoy the music.

I know of a late 70s direct drive Pioneer (if my memory servesme it could be a yamaha) that I cold pick up for 75.00 and what ever shipping costs. Its at a local vintage stereo store I looks to be in suberb condition. If your interested I could easily find ou the model number etc.

Josh

Hey Josh, thanks for the suggestion. But, I think that I'm going to upgrade past the point where my Yamaha was. I figure the Pioneer would be in the same class. I've been buying so many vinyl albums and there is no end in sight, so I think that upgrading will be a good investment...... actually I haven't listened to many CD's since I've been on the record binge. I have quite a few that I am enjoying now. However, by the time I get my new table, I'm sure that I'll be ready to get back into some vinyl!! The CD's are sounding good though. It's all about the music.

I have a Thornes TD 125 MK II that I was going to post for sale at some point.

Comes with the original Thorens arm. Can include a dustcover and serviceable Audio Technica cartridge to get you going. Was going to ask $225.

Let me know if you are interested.

Good luck2.gif

paul

----------------

I know of a late 70s direct drive Pioneer...

Clean the cueing cylinder, the damping fluid has become sticky.

I have a Thornes TD 125 MK II that I was going to post for sale...

----------------

You can always count on the forum for help. I have read elsewhere that cleaning and lubrication (no jokes please) is a standard fix for a myriad of problems.

Thanks for the ideas about correcting the problem. I'll see what can be accomplished by cleaning and lubing. It will be over a month before I'm in a position to purchase, so it would be nice to get some further enjoyment out of the Yamaha. Not to mention, it's sale, if in operating corrrecly could help towards the upgrade.

I'll post the results of the clean and lube. The yard work comes first though.