JBL Horns vs. Klipsch Horns

How do JBL horns sound compared to Klipsch horns. I really want to do something diy and I think it could be a fun project to build some 2-ways. I really like the way JBL sounds and do there horns sound the same as their normal speakers. Are there anyother brands of horns that sound good that are cheap.

Thanks,

Taylor

Well Taylor - it is hard to say, the ear is so personal. My current project is JBL all around - 2225 15". 2425 mids (probably with 2370 horns) and 2404 baby cheeks. Comparatively (to my ear) the 2404 is hands down a better tweeter alternative than any of the older heritage stuff. I do not get the same sound as Klipsch heritage from the mids, but the woodfer in a bass reflex arrangement is nice.

I like the sound of JBL pro gear and I will enjoy (at least one hopes) this new speaker set up. However, it may not be any cheaper than building a Klipsch parted speaker from the ground up.

Lastly, Klipsch belle. LaScala and Khorns still sound on par with the best JBL I have heard. For DIY, it easier to get specs for JBL because they are such a large component manufacturer. Lastly - go for it - experience is the best teacher.

I have been thinking for a while about this and I think that my heresys sound like crap compared to SheltieDaves because the room I have them in doesn't really allow them to open up and show how good they really sound. Then I went to Music For Pleasure on Big Bend Rd. and I listened to a pair of speakers there that were $1500 I think and they sounded way better than my heresys. I also have been thinking that maybe my room really isn't horn compatible. I am really interested in doing something DIY because the Foreplay preamp was so fun. I know that if I had a better room then I wouldn't be thinking about this right now. Every time I turn on my stereo I come up with a whole bunch of "what if's". Another thing is that I want a sub but I don't have room and I refuse to move my guitar where a sub could fit perfect. So once again I was thinking about how nice it would be to have a speaker that sounds awesome in my room and that has good bass extension. About a week ago I went on JBL's website pricing things and didn't really see anything I liked except the Tik series which is way too expensive. Then I started thinking if I got rid of horns would the Scott still sound good.

Oh what am I going to do?15.gif

----------------

On 5/22/2004 5:24:36 PM 3dzapper wrote:

Taylor,

Why don't you trick out your Heresys first? There are quite a few DIY tweaks you could do from caps to damping.

Rick

----------------

Well I thought about doing that too but I didn't think that making a few mods could make the kind of changes that I want.

Taylor

Well Taylor I may not be able to help here - Music for Pleasure only has some stats/planars that are comparatively priced to new heresy that sound as well to my ear - and their sweet spot is very restrictive for my pleasure (had maggies for a stretch). You may be talking about the Dynaudio three ways and I do agree, they are excellent cones.

If you do move elsewhere on speakers be sure to drop me a line about the Heresy....

When I go back to my mom's house tomorrow I'll pop in some Pink Floyd and hopefully change my mind. I really like the Heresys but I think I could have something that sounds better in my situation. Then I think about the Scott, I LOVE my Scott. Maybe I will go back to the store and listen to some Martin Logans or those speakers that I listened to before. I am still looking at something DIY because it's so fun.

Taylor, you will be in a situation for the next five to six years where you have to compromise on space. Believe it or not, about the best sounding speakers in a dedicated bedroom are Blose 901s, because they are generally above all the sound blocking stuff. Tall, thin speakers will also fare better in your bedroom. Just show some fortitude and hold out until you can get some space - you will be rewarded. I still have the speaker stands, though Justin may be throwing dibs on them soon.

Go ahead and give them to Justin I don't think it would be a good idea anymore because I can't afford to lose anymore bass. I don't think I could ever buy a Bose product unless it was a pair of headphones or an alarm clock (I went to a party with a Bose Wave Radio as the stereo and it was REALLY loud). I keep listening to a bunch of speakers that are fairly cheap that I know would sound better in my room and it is really disappointing.

SHOMACHER.....Music for Pleasur,s strong suite has always been their electronics. but I never cared for the speakers they handled. I bet if you took the Dyna,s home and really did a compairison with the Heresy in your room It wouldnt be that mutch of an improvement. A DIY project with horns (been there done that) You can learn alot. Alot of JBL horn stuff is compatable with Klipsch gear and can be alot of fun. As far as the guitar? hang it up on the wall.

----------------

On 5/22/2004 9:54:52 PM Maron Horonzak wrote:

SHOMACHER.....Music for Pleasur,s strong suite has always been their electronics. but I never cared for the speakers they handled. I bet if you took the Dyna,s home and really did a compairison with the Heresy in your room It wouldnt be that mutch of an improvement. A DIY project with horns (been there done that) You can learn alot. Alot of JBL horn stuff is compatable with Klipsch gear and can be alot of fun. As far as the guitar? hang it up on the wall.

----------------

I can't believe I never thought of hanging the guitar on the wall that is a really good idea. It looks awesome in my room it is a black and white fender strat. So maybe tomorrow when I go to my mom's house I will try moving the heresys and doing a little bit of adjustment and hopefully that will help or here come the electrostats and at least 200 wpc.15.gif

Any klipsch speaker can piss louder louder than electrostats. Allthough planers sound sweet you will lose dynamics that SLAM you get in music. You know... the kind that peels the green off your teeth.

When you get to Moms house. You might want to give her a big hug & say...Mom? its time we redo the living room. And make it a music room. And not a parler to just look at but to really play and live in. The audio Wonderlust of changing gear and not getting it right will go on for years. You might just need to let the speakers breath in a larger room. She not going to kick you out. Just dont push it. let her think about it

----------------

On 5/22/2004 10:15:58 PM Maron Horonzak wrote:

Any klipsch speaker can piss louder louder than electrostats. Allthough planers sound sweet you will lose dynamics that SLAM you get in music. You know... the kind that peels the green off your teeth.
----------------

Yep - I don't want my comment to look like a big recommendation. If we think our horns are finicky with electronic matching wait till the migraine sets in on stats and planars. I also want to clarify the 'sweet spot' comment - with the panels it is very (not an exaggeration) small. I always thought of the maggies as room sized headphones. Put your head above the panels and an amazing amount of image disappears.

However - in the sweet spot I really do have very fond memories, but bass augmentation is still necessary. It is a 'pick your poison' hobby.

And I do agree about DIY - it is a great diversion for me and teaches plenty.

Sorry Maron - It wasn't my initial intention to agree with you - I'll return to normal in the next thread

2.gif