Synergy SF-3 Speakers

Efontaine

Is anybody out there familiar with these speakers? I gave them a listen and they seem pretty good. The website says these are newer than the other synergy floorstanding speaker (2003 vs. 1998). I thought about the reference speakers but might be too mucg money for my budget so the Synergy series is looking more like a possibility.

Please let me hear your comments on these. Are these worth the extra $$ to go from the SF-2 to SF-3?

Thanks

I don't know but i love my sf-2's. I love them so much i am scared to go to the reference models. The tweeters are so smooth an natural. I think if their was anymore detail it would be exagurated. I don't know i am going through a crisis thinking about it.

I would say that they are worth buying. What are you looking for in them- good low response, loudness,etc. I have SB-3's, same woofer and compression tweeter/horn as SF-3's except the SF-3's have dual woofers. If you have a good powered sub or don't care about response below 50 hz, save your self some money and buy these. They will defineltly play LOUD enough9.gif. What do the SF-3's cost any way. I thought thy cost around $700-$800. SB-3's only cost $450. but it all depends on what your using them for2.gif

scp53

Sf-3 are much better than sf-2 I have them and love them. Not much diference between SF-3 AND RF series. BUT THEY SURE DO MAKE THE RF OWNERS MAD!!! Only the RF-7 is worth the extra money. (Its only ashame they dont make an SF-5 with daul 10 inchers)

I have a pair of KLF 10 LEGENDS and like the SF-3 better.

I heard the three Synergy floorstanders. The SF-1 was way too tinny. Like a clock radio. The SF-2 sounded acceptable, like a floorstander should(not that horribly tinny SF-1 sound). The SF-3 sounded, just way better. A lot more vibrant and alive. It sounds like it's in a different series.

brandnamez.com gets TONS of good ratings and sells the RF-35 at the same price that most authorized dealers sell the SF-3($660/pair), so you should check them out. Yet, since you can get the RF-35s from an online dealer for the same price as the SF-3s at an authorized dealer... why not give yourself the free upgrade? 9.gif

----------------

On 5/28/2004 6:09:26 PM swampcat wrote:

Not much diference between SF-3 AND RF series. BUT THEY SURE DO MAKE THE RF OWNERS MAD!!! Only the RF-7 is worth the extra money. (Its only ashame they dont make an SF-5 with daul 10 inchers)

----------------

lol. Have you even heard the Reference series?

The synergy stuff didn't sound near as good as the JBL stuff when I went to bestbuy. They sound like crap compared to the reference or the heritage stuff. If you are looking at synergy stuff I strongly suggest that you get some used heritage or reference or just get the JBL floorstanders at bestbuy.

You cant trust the BB display stands very much. I remember one time i went there, and the display wasnt even set up correctly. It would only play that crappy chevelle rock song and no other categories of music and it wasn't even wired correctly. When I wanted to hear the SF-2s, it would play through the SB-3s, and vica versa.

I walked up to the speaker and made sure the right one was playing. I thought the speakers sounded like crap so I went over to the JBL section and for a cheaper price I could get a speaker that sounded WAY better. But I ended up not getting either of them and got some heresys. I will soon be getting rid of the heresys and getting some speakers that have a sound that isn't possible to get with horns in my room. If you are looking at something at the synergy price range get some heresys, cornwalls, or you might be able to get some lascalas for about 700 to 1000 dollars.

----------------

On 5/30/2004 10:14:59 AM T_Shomaker wrote:

I walked up to the speaker and made sure the right one was playing. I thought the speakers sounded like crap so I went over to the JBL section and for a cheaper price I could get a speaker that sounded WAY better. But I ended up not getting either of them and got some heresys. I will soon be getting rid of the heresys and getting some speakers that have a sound that isn't possible to get with horns in my room. If you are looking at something at the synergy price range get some heresys, cornwalls, or you might be able to get some lascalas for about 700 to 1000 dollars.

----------------

A sound not possible to get with horns? I'm just curious about what type of sound you are looking for. Also, JBL northridge vs. klipsch synergy? I have SF-1's and SF-2's and prefer them over JBL stuff I have heard. JBL always seem to have a really heavy bottom end without much defenition or finesse. Lascala's for 700 dollars would be a very lucky find. On ebay you could get some for that price, but they'd more than likely be in rough condition. Usually you'll have to spend in upwards of 1,000 to get some in good condition, excluding shipping which is very high since they weigh in at 120 pounds each. plus they're huge compared to the synergy series which may rule them out as an option for him.

I had jbl's before my synergys. Needless to say i sold them because they sucked big time. I mean come on two ten inch woofers couldn't keep up with two six inch klipsch woofers. I had the northridge series jbl towers (the big boys). Well i don't hate jbl i owned all kinds of jbls. I mean lots of jbls. I blew most of the tweeters out at lower volumes( what i call low compared to what my klipsch's do). Klipsch synergy sf-2 tower is a great speaker. It needs sometime to break in (alot of time). Then you need to match it well with a good receiver or amp. You put in a crappy band it's gonna sound like crap. Listen to some real guitar playing and you will hear what a guitar sounds like through them. That's what sold me on them instead of that hollow tin can midgrange of a jbl and most speakers not just jbl. Klipsch was the first speaker i bought that didn't have that sound in my budget for the last 6 years. Athena wasn't bad, but add the boxy and boomy coloration of the woofer. Not even close. I bought my speakers before best buy so i got an awesome deal i would think at 400 for a pair. So I can't quibble over nothing. Because nothing will touch them at 400 dollars. I mean nothing. I purchased my nd10 northridge jbls for 400 also. I think if i had a small fortune to spend on an awesome power amp the jbl's would of sounded better. So i won't dismiss that fact. But they still would of had the overly muddy sound for my room. Which is speaker size to room ratio thing. Which is so important to get right. I think thats why the klipsch work so well too. Their the right size. My klipsch dealer and I talked over the reference and it just might not sound as good one inch this way one inch that way can affect your overall sound drastically. Especially with a horn it's more sensitive to placement. Just play what you like and have them hook em up to a good receiver. If you like buy and if you don't. Well don't buy it. Don't listen to anyones sh!t not even me.

If he waited he could find a pair of lascalas in his area for about a grand. Yes northridge vs. synergy. The synergy were about the worst sounding speakers I have ever heard in their price range. When I was talking about the sound of horns I was talking about in my room as stated in my response. I will be getting some a/d/s L1590's or some M15's which sound comparable to the khorns IMO. The a/d/s stuff has a very clear, airy, and crisp sound that klipsch just isn't able to reproduce. I got my heresys because at the time I wasn't able to get any a/d/s speakers.

You have comitted 3 self contradictions, some clarification would be nice....First you say that horns would not work in your room (and I did read that in the original post by the way, I was just curious about what type of sound you're looking for that horns can't supposedly give you). Then, you go on to say that the speakers you want to buy are comporable to KHorns, which seems to have a positive connotation to it....This is followed by you saying that the a/d/s speakers you want give a clean, airy, spacious etc. etc. sound that Klipsch can not provide, when you had just said they are very comporable to Klipsch.

Anyone with any bit of audio knowledge will tell you that 90% of consumer stores do not properly set up their speakers, and anyone with any bit of audio knowledge should also be able to gather that much just by looking at the set ups. Speaker placement is extremely touchy, and even in most of our homes it is impossible, or impracticle to have the speakers placed to reproduce sound to their full potential. Best Buy and Circuit City place their speakers about as far from ideal as possible. They upwards of 20 speakers crammed in one room usually, and more often than not, the speakers won't even play and if they do they'll be on the opposite sides of rooms or burried in other speakers. I'd suggest not basing your opinion of a speaker, or any audio component on this information in the future.

----------------

On 5/30/2004 6:01:22 PM prodj101 wrote:

You have comitted 3 self contradictions, some clarification would be nice....First you say that horns would not work in your room (and I did read that in the original post by the way, I was just curious about what type of sound you're looking for that horns can't supposedly give you). Then, you go on to say that the speakers you want to buy are comporable to KHorns, which seems to have a positive connotation to it....This is followed by you saying that the a/d/s speakers you want give a clean, airy, spacious etc. etc. sound that Klipsch can not provide, when you had just said they are very comporable to Klipsch.

Anyone with any bit of audio knowledge will tell you that 90% of consumer stores do not properly set up their speakers, and anyone with any bit of audio knowledge should also be able to gather that much just by looking at the set ups. Speaker placement is extremely touchy, and even in most of our homes it is impossible, or impracticle to have the speakers placed to reproduce sound to their full potential. Best Buy and Circuit City place their speakers about as far from ideal as possible. They upwards of 20 speakers crammed in one room usually, and more often than not, the speakers won't even play and if they do they'll be on the opposite sides of rooms or burried in other speakers. I'd suggest not basing your opinion of a speaker, or any audio component on this information in the future.

----------------

My heresys can't really open up in my room so I have decided that I should get rid of the horns until I can get a better room. The sound I described from the a/d/s stuff isn't really possible with klipsch in any room. The a/d/s stuff was engineered this way and the klipsch IMO was designed to fill a room very well. The reason it sounded wierd was because I didn't want it to look like I was bashing Klipsch. The sound quality is better than the khorns IMO but just can't fill a room the same way. I know that the speakers at the retail stores aren't setup properly but I wasn't talking about the soundstage I was talking about mainly the high end definition.

Yes i hear this high end you talk about. This is the first thing i noticed when i first purchased my klipsch the lack of exaggerated highs. Which i didn't know were exagerated at the time. Switched back and forth with different type of speakers to make sure I could live with the horns. I found out that the horns were way more natural and realistic for music. Listening to any guitar playing will tell the truth immediately. It is real fun listening to the highend exagerated highs when watching satellite tv. But put in a dvd or listen to a cd. Harshness, and it just can't handle it like a horn can. Their just isn't the clarity the horn has ( to blurry). Anyways i would love to hear what you think of the ads when you get them in your living room. I was looking into them along time ago and they are very cheap to come by. So they would be a great value if they were good.