Return of the King

Grateful11

I'm at a loss. Why was the ROTK thread locked? I didn't see anything in there that would cause it to be locked. I was going to answer someone and couldn't. I know I'm probably wrong but I just didn't see it. So here goes.

sb in SC wrote: I am torn about buying the 2 disk set. I know I will buy the 4 disk in the late fall, but I don't think I can wait that long. I have seen ROTK twice in the theatre, and I just may have to plunk down the 15.99 at BB to get it.

Do what we did with the first 2 buy it now for $16 and then when the extended version comes out sell the short one on eBay and you'll get your money back. DVD's are always cheapest the first week of release and don't usually come back down to that price for a year or 2. We bought both 1&2 for $16 each sold them for $16 each Buy-It-Now on eBay.

TheEAR wrote: Simply you know scenes were removed as some things just roll to fast,when they go to recruit the ghost army...all of a sudden during the great battle they arrive on boats...bam the ghost army is there.No sight on how the Ghost army got rid of the sailors!

We saw it 5 times @ the theatre and I don't remember seeing them get rid of the sailors. They recruited the ghost army and then just appeared in the harbor and leapt overboard.

Grateful

• Moderators

The usefullness of that thread was long gone and it began turning into a saracastic name calling outlet. I was closing it before it got worse to make a point.

Feel free to talk about LOTR all you want! Great movie 1.gif

Thank you Amy for allowing this thread to continue,

I'm sure there's going to be plenty to talk about when everyone gets finished watching it this evening. My wife and oldest son are out hauling hay and I just got in from work and was told under no circumstances was I to even open the movie let alone watch any of it until they get finished. I'm probably going to have to turn the bass down a notch for this one. Last night we watched Matrix Reloaded and had bump it down a notch, the Sansui 9090DB has always been known to be a little bass heavy anyway. The Cornwalls are going to get a work out tonight!

Later,

Grateful

• Moderators

No problem! I love talking about movies, and I wish this forum topic was used more. I actually watched Full Metal Jacket for the first time (I know, I'm slow) over the weekend on a big screen TV with our new THX Ultra2 system...

Hello, All!

I agree that there will be a big buzz about this movie for the next few days because of it's epic proportion, but I doubt I will be running out and buying it because... Well, because... Well, I don't know why, but I'm surprised that the studios are doing what they are doing about marketing and sales with movies nowadays.

Case in point: All of the LOTR movies have been coded in DD-EX 5.1 for the Theatrical versions, right? Now, the Extended versions are coded in DTS-ES 6.1 sound. And, of course the BDBM version (gift set) with the figurines. So, buy now or buy later? Hmm...

Additionally, they have done the same thing with Saving Private Ryan's re-release for the 60 Anniversary of D-Day. They've released one 2-disc set with DD 5.1 and a BDBM version that has two additional documentaries and includes the DTS audio tracks. So, of course, I will run out and pay the extra money for the DTS version, right? Most likely...

But the question is: Do these marketing gurus plan on me running out and buying both versions only to have or not have a few minutes more audio that indulges my DD-EX taste now and DTS-ES taste later? Is this in some freakish sense contributing to the ear-gasm addictions of a newbie audiophile?

In my opinion the DTS-ES 6.1 sound is much cleaner and better to listen to and I'd prefer to wait till the Extended or BDBM version comes out, but I think it's cruel of them to sap a sucker like me.

Angry15.gifrb

A little off topic, but since we're talking movies...

A friend and I were discussing Apocolypse Now at lunch today. Is there a good, better, best version of this I should be aware of, and how do the helicopters coming in over the hill sound on a good HT system? Just curious, may have to purchase this, or at least rent it, haven't seen it for probably 10-15 years, I really don't remember much of it, other than I thought it was a great movie.

Champagne taste beer budget:

I often use http://www.imdb.com to do research on movies. In my opinion DTS is always better, but not many companys are putting DTS tracks on their movies because of the amount of information it takes up on a DVD. IMDB says that there is a DTS version out there (Redux - 2001 release). So, if I were you and wanted the better version, I would look at this one. I have yet to get it.

I'll now go hang my head in shame... OK, after I'm done watching ROTK.

And, NO, I didn't buy it.

Angry2.gifrb

We're taking an intermission from ROTK. I will say this if you have a cat in the house and you get to the scene were Frodo, Sam and Gollum are getting ready climb the stairs, you might want to cover your cats ears. When the the Witch Kings Felbeast comes into the scene and starts that high pitched shrill your cat is going to go ballistic! I thought ours was going to freak out. Those horns in the Cornwalls really shine with this stuff. Haven't notice deleted scenes yet.

Grateful

OT: Wal-Mart has it for $15.87, best price I've seen. The trilogy was $64.00. She could have gotten a free magazine with it at Best Buy but the wife didn't feel like burning out $7.00 worth of gas to go to Charlotte to get it. I figured they would be out of the magazines by the time I got off work in Charlotte. So Wal-Mart had to do. She said she got there at 7:30am after dropping the boys off for their last day of school for the summer and they had it playing in Wal-Mart and the guy had playing really loud and she just stood there looking at it and he turned it down and she said that it was fine the way it was.

----------------

On 5/24/2004 8:10:36 PM Grateful11 wrote:

I'm at a loss. Why was the ROTK thread locked? I didn't see anything in there that would cause it to be locked. I was going to answer someone and couldn't. I know I'm probably wrong but I just didn't see it. So here goes.

sb in SC wrote: I am torn about buying the 2 disk set. I know I will buy the 4 disk in the late fall, but I don't think I can wait that long. I have seen ROTK twice in the theatre, and I just may have to plunk down the 15.99 at BB to get it.

Do what we did with the first 2 buy it now for $16 and then when the extended version comes out sell the short one on eBay and you'll get your money back. DVD's are always cheapest the first week of release and don't usually come back down to that price for a year or 2. We bought both 1&2 for $16 each sold them for $16 each Buy-It-Now on eBay.

TheEAR wrote: Simply you know scenes were removed as some things just roll to fast,when they go to recruit the ghost army...all of a sudden during the great battle they arrive on boats...bam the ghost army is there.No sight on how the Ghost army got rid of the sailors!

We saw it 5 times @ the theatre and I don't remember seeing them get rid of the sailors. They recruited the ghost army and then just appeared in the harbor and leapt overboard.

Grateful

----------------

Well what I should have said is the movie was cut down alot to fit in a little over 3 hours.A few shortcuts here and there.The full so called extended edition I hope to see it all(most of it anyway).

Its one great movie,even if we know the book story was remolded a bit to fit the screen by Peter Jackson.

Well, I did end up getting it at Blockbuster for $12.99, (part of their DVD trade-in program). I will certainly get the 4 disk set in the fall. I have to have the DTS and extended scenes.

I have watched a couple time already. It is really a great way to tie up the (movie) story. I even started reading the first book again today. When I finish the trilogy, I will have to watch the three movies and wonder at the ability of Peter Jackson to recreate so much of what I envisioned Tolkiens world to be like. (Haven't read the books since high school, and that was many years ago.)

I just picked up the movie today. I've seen it in theaters before..but I had to get this to complete the collection.

Anyhoo first off, I must say that this movie kicks alot of ***, as does the whole trilogy.

The bass in this movie is just sickening. My Sunfire Signature and PM 5.1 Ultra sub got a frickin gasping workout..but boy did it shake the rafters and climb up your spine. The last scene with the shock wave...HOLY ****! True 14hz ladies and gentlemen...that part will give the best of subwoofers a nice streching. Any loose objects should be taken down for that one, accually the whole movie lol.

I loved it though, def. a great buy! :)

I finally got around to watching my copy a couple of times. There _are_ a few minor things different from the theatrical release. I also noticed a few things that were in all the commerials that didn't make it into the theatrical release, like Aragorn saying "He has gone unchallenged long enough", I assume in reference to the part of the booke where he decides to show himself to Sauron in the Palantir. Also out there in limbo is the part where the Witch King lands on the ramparts of Minas Tirith and Gandalf rides up to meeting.

I'm super interested in things planned for the extended edition. Someone from New Line Cinema has confirmed a few things to one of the fan sites:

-The Mouth of Sauron

-More abou Saruman after isengard

-More about Faramir

The Extended Edition ROTK will probably be one of the greatest DVDs of our time...

----------------

On 6/2/2004 1:58:44 PM damonrpayne wrote:

There _are_ a few minor things different from the theatrical release.

----------------

Which things are those? The DVD seemed exactly the same as the theatrical release to me.