What SVS to mate with vintage Heritage...?

edwardre

Good day! I've determined that the 'weakest link' in my HT is my Klipsch KSW200 sub. As many of you no doubt already are aware, the KSW200 was the predecessor to the KSW-12. It is a 200W 12"-er but for some reason weighs in at over 70lbs.....much more than the KSW-12. In any event, I'm not so much disappointed with it's performance thus far as I am interested in upgrading the quality of the sound eminating from the sub in general.

My HT system consists of mid-50's era Klipschorns in all 4 corners, Belles refitted with mid-50's components for both front and rear centers. All 6 heritage speakers have the Stephen's Trusonic 103LX2 option rather than the EV15WK. Let me state now and for the record that I am not 'underimpressed' with the effortless, quality bass that these behemouths spew forth, but rather want sound recorded on the ".1" channel to be every bit as well suited. I have all speakers set on my Denon 3802 receiver as "large" so that none of the "5" or "6" (of 5.1 or 6.1 respectively) should be crossed over to the sub. Hopefully the sub only receives sound recorded on the ".1" channel.

The system gets used the most for movies and DVD-A/SACD music.

With this in mind, anyone have any suggestions as to which size SVS would merge the best with my current setup? The 16-46 or the 20-39?

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks.

The 16/46 will dig deeper, the 20/39 will give you more SPL. How big is your room. If it is not too big and SPL is not your main concern, the 16/46 will give you a more tactile response during movies. If you have a larger room you may want to go with 2 cylinders or a box with 2 drivers. Carl

Ed

Call Tom at SVS. He is more than willing to help you pick out the right sub. He is also knowledgeable about the Heritage line.

I bought two SVS Ultra pluses two years ago to use with my Khorn driving Heritage HT. My room is huge, 22wide by 34 deep. I am hardly working my duals to fill the room with bass.

JM

I'm presently using Dual 16-46PC+. I've had them for a few years. Home theater consists of Belles/Heresy's/B & K Ref50/MC2200 Amp/B & K Ref200.5 Amp. I'm very pleasesd with the set up and these babies rattle everything in the house. They're in the basement and stuff on the third floor even rattles...good deep bass...some of there new subs may be even better, but you can't go wrong with SVS! Tom/Ron are decent folks...honest, knowledgeable and service second to none. They'll treat you right...by all means give them a call! Hope this helps. Frt8dog

As a Heritage HT owner...SVS???...ok....even TomV discouraged me when I wrote him(over a year ago)and inquired about using svs with my Khorns\LaScala's\Herseys\KLFC7. I'd be better off using "4" Paradigm PWS2200's "stacked" for my HT, a miss match totally for my situation, and from a guy that owns Klipsch Legends...pretty honest..10.gif

to add...my subwoofer is a Velodyne FSR-18 2.gif

I am NOT at all surprised that the KSW200 does NOT do it for you with classic Klipsch corner Khorns. The advantage of the SVS tubes is that they dig deep enough to be properly mated with big ole horns for a flat frequency response.

If you examine the shake value ratings versus the price in the excellent article http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_4/subwoofers-12-2001.html (Subwoofers Under the Christmas Tree - December, 2001 by Brian Weatherhead), you quickly see that, as the Stones rock classic says, you cant always get what you want.

For the musical punch of mid-bass, which is more noticeable and possibly more enjoyable than merely accurate deep bass, you want lots of push. The greatest output in this area is something like the grand daddy Velodyne HGS-18, followed by the better value (shake value/price) of the Klipsch RSW-15.

The RSW is number two on this list for deepest output and number two for most mid-bass output too. In this limited subwoofer comparison, the Klipsch RSW-15 is the only sub to score well on both lists.

6.gif