SVS

rsarma

The question is the PC better than the PCi and the answer is yes; it has more power, tunes lower and is more like the PC Ultra, the real question is it worth $225 more and that depends a lot on you, for one thing the SVS tubes are good enough that you may never need another sub for your home movie and music reproduction system, but, go ahead and post your room dimensions, music tastes and components of your home movie and music reproduction system in your profile that way, we can look it up and give you expert advice. 4.gif

Currently my gear is in a 12 x 12 room with a high slantly ceiling (3rd

floor roof). Although I could be moving in a year....

I like rap, rock, alternative, classic rock (everything from 50 cent to The Who and everything in between)

I like mostly dramas and action flicks Scarface, Fightclub, Vanilla Sky, Matrix etc.

I like to listen to my music loud so I can jamm out - on my AVR 230 and RF 35s the volume is around -20 to -30...

Let me know & thanks for your advice!

I see a lot of comments from people regarding the inherent values of different subs for either music or video. Do the manufactures just change the tuned frequency to give their sub a peak at different frequencies? I'd think that a sub that would go low enough for music would sound great for movies too, but what do I know? And if a "movie" sub goes lower, does it sacrifice mid bass in an effort to get that couple extra hz lower?

"And if a "movie" sub goes lower, does it sacrifice mid bass in an effort to get that couple extra hz lower?"

i won't visit the "music vs. movie thing", but, basically, the answer is yes, that's how it works. there's a trade-off. lower extension at the expense of output.

btw, 30Hz is plenty low for almost all music, except for organ music. today's movies contain much more sub-30Hz stuff.

the pc+ is equal to 1.8pci.... according to Tom V. and Ron S. of SVS. keeping the same configurations (20-39+ versus 20-39i), the + will have approximately 4-5db of overall greater output than the pci subwoofer. according to SVS, a 6db increase occurs when you add an extra sub, hence, one PC+ is equal to 1.8PCi subs.

is it worth it? HECK YEAH!

I was looking at the 25-31, but a rep. from SVS reccommneded the 20-39 ....

Maybe if I'm more of a music user then get the 25-31, but if I'm more of a moive user then get the 20-39?

What does everyone else think? Thanks!

"Maybe if I'm more of a music user then get the 25-31, but if I'm more of a moive user then get the 20-39?"

I say just the opposite. the RF-35 go down to 37Hz, which is good, better than bookshelf loudspeakers, but they miss the first octave, so you do need a sub to fill in the lower Hz and to get FLAT, accurate frequency response, which is important for music, and some movies do have really low stuff, but NOT every body wants that, especially young guys-

you can also use a sub to get more mid-bass punch, which is nice for movies, and some music, in the 20 series SVS tubes are deeper, the 25 series are a little higher, having heard SVS tubes with dual Klipsch KSW subs, I say the tubes are much better, however between low and deep, flat and accurate frequency response versus mid-bass punch, I say go with the punch, it adds more to every thing

2.gif

I would opt for the 25-31PC+. Remember, the plus series cylinders are user-tunable (via foam plugs) whereas the PCi cylinders are not. The only difference is how low each individual model goes. A 25-31PC+ can be user-tuned down to 16Hz, whereas a 20-39PC+ can be user-tuned down to 12Hz. Therefore, you would have the ability to dig deep enough if you want to, yet still have nice slam, if you desire. I also think the extra output potential of the plus series is well worth the difference in price between the PCi and plus series. Will you feel the difference? Yes.

If you went with a PCi, I would opt for the 20-39PCi.

Carl.

If it help allay any uncertainty you have, I am running the 20-39PCi in my 20 x 21 room, and I like it very much. I also have an HK AVR430 receiver (I see you have the 230), so looks like we are thinking along the same lines. My SVS does a nice job of handling the bass, and with your room being smaller than mine, you will have NO problem getting great low end out of the "regular" PCi vs. the "+". I honestly could stand to have just a BIT more for my room size - but don't tell my wife that 6.gif.

Popbumper

I own the RF3II series and just recently purchased the 25-31Pci. We listen to music 80% / movies 20%. I spoke with Ron and Tom many times regarding this and my interpretation is:

20-39pci gives you lower extension in bass, but sacrifices upper bass output.

25-31pci gives you the highest upper bass output, but only goes to 25hz.

For my system, which is in a room of 20x20x16 (room actually much larger--this is listening area), the 25-31pci can easily give me 106dbs from my listening position 16ft from the sub. At 25hz, 106dbs, I can feel the bass in the couch and the windows rattle. I do not have my pant legs move however, which is often desirable with SVS bass heads. I was initially told to get the PB2+, I believe, but due to cost and WAF I couldn't. Overall, the 25-31pci is fabulous for music...unbelieveable, and worth every penny. Movies is just a bonus. If you like mostly movies, and like to completely feel the bass, the plus version may be best. But, you will lose some decent bass in the music realm...2-3 dbs, I believe, over the 25-31.

For me, I chose the 25-31 and am very happy. The plus wasn't worth it. However, in the future, I may play with the idea of stereo subs (another reason I went with the non-plus version), and get a second pci, but we'll see.

I think you have to decide of 3dbs of more power at 20hz is worth the $225.

Truth is (and I apologize, certainly no intent to mislead), but I have not listened to ANY music so far on my system other than that which accompanies soundtracks. I have been engrossed in film viewing, that I just have not taken the time.

Most of my CD collection and vinyl is more 70's/80's stuff anyway, and I have not investigated the new 5.1 music formats. Call me an "old guy".

Onto your other questions - I am running Forte R&L, Academy center, Heresy II surround, and KG2 rear surrounds.

For what it's worth, I HAVE listened to music on my Forte's (primarily CD, again, the intent here was to set up for a theater, not audio).

I hope this helps somewhat, and I am sorry I could not address your specific music concerns. For HT, the SVS is a VERY nice unit, but I will not give an opinion of its ability for music, as I have no real experience.

Best wishes!

Popbumper9.gif