SVS

rsarma

----------------

On 6/2/2004 4:00:23 PM rsarma wrote:

I like to listen to my music loud so I can jamm out - on my AVR 230 and RF 35s the volume is around -20 to -30...

----------------

Woah. Maybe I need to turn it down before I go deaf. I love it at around -15 to -10 ...

6.gif

I wish I could at that volume - but things would be distorted. I just don't know what to do about these subwoofers ... it seems like everyone on the forum thinks the 25-31 will give me more mid range bass - but ron from SVS says there's no difference.

And then there was one person who said either get the 20-39PCI or 25-31+ even more complicated ..... I wish I could listen first.

----------------

On 6/4/2004 11:09:13 AM rsarma wrote:

I wish I could at that volume - but things would be distorted.

----------------

I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about here, I have the RF3-II's (your RF-35's are the updates to my speaker) and they sound great at that volume with no distortion...... is it the diff in our receivers?

----------------

On 6/4/2004 1:26:38 PM rsarma wrote:

Karl

why the 20 - 39i over the 25 - 31i??

----------------

In my opinion, the 20-39PCi is the best compromise in the PCi line. A PCi is tuned from the factory to go down to a certain frequency. And in the case of a 20-39PCi, it digs down to 20hz. Most music does not go below 25hz, but there are a few movies that do. My first SVS sub was a 20-39PCi, and I have listened to 25-31PCis in other setups. To my ears, you do not lose much mid-bass or bass output in the upper frequencies (vs. the 25-31) by going with a the middle model, but you gain the ability to dig deeper for certain movies. That is probably what Ron or Tom was getting at.

Will your sub go down to 20HZ often? Probably not. Would you also be happy with a 25-31PCi. Yes. Are there happy 25-31PCi owners that would disagree with my preference? You betcha. But, put this in perspective. Remember, many subs do not even provide a steady output below 30HZ. Therefore, you should be happy no matter which PCi (or PC+) model you choose. Hopefully, that takes some of the pressure off of your decision. There is no real "wrong" answer. Its all a matter of degree.

Not to REALLLLLY confuse you, but I believe that SVS also still offers the option of a 25-31PCi, factory tuned to 22HZ (instead of 25HZ). So, if you think that the shorter 25-31 might be more visually-attractive, there is that option.

One final word on the plus line. Just to make sure you understand all of the differences between a PCi and Plus. With a plus, you get a more powerful amp, an improved quality driver, and the option of custom tuning the sub yourself. Even though your current room is only 12X12, you do have high ceilings, and you commented that you might be moving someday. I just thought that a "plus" might fit your needs if: 1) you plan on moving to a bigger place, or 2) you expect more impact with your bass. Remember, SVS are not "boomy," and therefore, if you listen to music/movies really loud, don't expect a PCi to bowl you over with power. However, it should probably give you all of the clean, seamless bass you really need.

You also need to take my comments with a grain of salt. My disclaimer is that among other things, I am a bass junkie, and I like my movies & music extremely loud. Therefore, I started out with a 20-39PCi, later added a SVS PB2-isd, and now run them stacked. I usually do not run both SVS at such a high output for music (thanks to my excellent bass traps, my Rotel amp & my RF-7s), but for certain movies (U-571, Fight Club, etc.), I like the reserves of SVS power.

Finally (whew!), you could always start with a PCi and later, add another next to the first.

Carl.

Thanks for you help, I really appreciate it. After doing extenstive research I have decided on a SVS sub ... everyone seems to love them.

I'm going with the PCI line not the plus - for cashflow reasons - maybe I'll get an iPod as well.

Finally deciding between the 20-39i and 25-31i, I think I'm going with the 39i ... space is not an issue for me and hopefully I will be happy with the output ... although who knows I began this message thinking I was getting the 31i :)

Pertpetually undecided.

----------------

On 6/4/2004 3:51:36 PM rsarma wrote:

Thanks for you help, I really appreciate it. After doing extenstive research I have decided on a SVS sub ... everyone seems to love them.

Finally deciding between the 20-39i and 25-31i, I think I'm going with the 39i ... space is not an issue for me and hopefully I will be happy with the output ... although who knows I began this message thinking I was getting the 31i
:)

Pertpetually undecided.

----------------

Glad we could help. Again, either option is a wonderful sub, and both have subtle differences from the other. You should be happy with either the 20-39PCi or the 25-31PCi.

Carl.

As stated earlier, either way, 25-31 or 20-39, you shouldn't be disappointed. I own the 25-31 as I said earlier, and am quite pleased with the power and deep bass for movie soundtracks. Music is incredible. Don't concern yourself too much as both are great subs for the price. 25-31 will cover the bass for all music and most movies, while the 20-39 should cover the bass for all.

I also purchased only the PCI line due to finances, but in the future, if the $ is there, I may purchase a second 25-31.

Have fun and good luck.