Why would they allow this?

Darren

I just came from the Gym and on the music video channel they played a remake of Comfortably Numb. It was a guy and girl - didn't catch the name - and looked to be kind of 80's in style but I don't remember hearing it back then. Anyway, it's been on every day for the last few weeks. Is this new, or is the Middle East just getting to 80's music? Are any of you being subjected to this?

Some songs should never be remade - especially poorly.7.gif

I think what you are hearing is a band called "Electro Illusion". I`ve heard it and have to admit I rather enjoyed it as far as covers go.

Sounds like a version they would play at a dance club or where ever the kids are hanging out these days. Sad thing is most at those clubs may not even know it`s a Pink Floyd song.

Darren: Now, don't take this the wrong way but, I know exactly what you mean: Congratulations! You're getting older! ("Damn kids! The nerve of them desecrating my music!")....sort of sounds like your parents, doesn't it? 9.gif Don't worry man, it only hurts for a moment!2.gif Now, ...where's my Nine Inch Nails CD? I know it's here somewhere.......9.gif I don't always like what they've done to the music either but, just hang in there, baby!

free country, who is to stop it, the masses are the final arbitrator of taste, which means that anything popular must therefore be of lower rather than above average taste, which does nothing to logically explain the popularity of Diana Krall or Norah Jones7.gif

What's getting me is this video is on everyday, which must mean it must be popular. I'm trying, but I can't see who would like this. It's an insult to Floyed fans (like me), it's not a dance version and isn't a wrap re-make (both of which would have some audience). It's like bad elevator music - I know that's redundant. Anyway, just needed to vent a bit.

Hey, I'm 19 and already at the 'danm those kids and their rap music' stage! At work today (Besy Buy), I had a radio station on that plays mostly 70's and 80's music (Gary Numan, Peter Shilling, etc.), and I was getting comments from adults (as in, 40, 50, 60) how glad they were to come into the store and not here rap. I will be bringing that up at the next meeting 2.gif

However, I am listing to my new Front Line Assembly CD (Civilization), which is some good Industrial stuff. I guess I run the gammut - but at the end of the day, I see it all as 'quality' music and not some jacka$$ screaming to a drum loop from a Korg Triton for 5 minuites 7.gif

----------------

On 6/4/2004 5:25:39 AM Darren wrote:

Kenratboy -

You're 19 and have 3500+ posts! Quick, someone get this young man a girl!
2.gif
----------------

Look when I registered.

As for the second part, yes, it's sitting in the driveway and wants a short throw shift kit, supercharger ($3k), new cat-back exhaust, and some other stuff. I can't have TWO relationships going on, I still need money for optics, computers, and home theater!!!

----------------

However, I am listing to my new Front Line Assembly CD (Civilization), which is some good Industrial stuff. I guess I run the gammut - but at the end of the day, I see it all as 'quality' music and not some jacka$$ screaming to a drum loop from a Korg Triton for 5 minuites
7.gif

----------------

'Civilization' is quite good...excellent choice. its about time Bill and Rhys get back together. I've been on a "TACTICAL NEURAL IMPLANT" marathon now....All "TNI" all the time...for the past 4 days anyway..

if you don't know it--get it. it and "implode" are FLA's best works...

if you want some others--here are some names for ya'--some you'll know....VNV nation "empires", Covenant "Northern Lights" or "sequencer", Neurotic Fish, Apoptygma Berserk "7", Leather Strip "solitary Confinement", Sister Machine Gun "torture technique", Pop Will Eat Itself "Dos Deados Mi Amigos", The Fair Sex "virgin Superstar" Funker Vogt "execution Tracks", Cubanate "barbarossa" or "cyberia", Spahn Ranch "The Coiled One", Delirium "semantic Spaces", Underworld "dubnobassinmyheadman"

those above are the cannon of the "new" industrial music era. sadly...industrial peaked around 1995....but, if you get those above you'll be ready to do a set at the local club...

----------------

On 6/4/2004 8:17:28 PM RFinco wrote:

----------------

However, I am listing to my new Front Line Assembly CD (Civilization), which is some good Industrial stuff. I guess I run the gammut - but at the end of the day, I see it all as 'quality' music and not some jacka$$ screaming to a drum loop from a Korg Triton for 5 minuites
7.gif

----------------

'Civilization' is quite good...excellent choice. its about time Bill and Rhys get back together. I've been on a "TACTICAL NEURAL IMPLANT" marathon now....All "TNI" all the time...for the past 4 days anyway..

if you want some others--here are some names for ya'--some you'll know....VNV nation "empires", Covenant "Northern Lights" or "sequencer", Neurotic Fish, Apoptygma Berserk "7", Leather Strip "solitary Confinement", Sister Machine Gun "torture technique", Pop Will Eat Itself "Dos Deados Mi Amigos", The Fair Sex "virgin Superstar" Funker Vogt "execution Tracks", Cubanate "barbarossa" or "cyberia", Spahn Ranch "The Coiled One", Delirium "semantic Spaces", Underworld "dubnobassinmyheadman"

those above are the cannon of the "new" industrial music era. sadly...industrial peaked around 1995....but, if you get those above you'll be ready to do a set at the local club...

----------------

Cool! I always like when I find other people who know what the he11 I'm listening to!!!

I have 'Empires' by VNV (good songs, but a 'bit' corney), but have not heard of the others, I will check them out.

What drew me to FLA was the fact it was good, clean music. It is like a sophisticated version of KMFDM, more 'music' and less screaming and 'noise'. I have ATTAK and I really like it.

I am still expanding my electronic music collection. Stuff I bought years ago I still enjoy, and I have not bought a CD I have 'banished', they are all worthy of my ears. Thanks to Kazaa and Amazon, I can get an idea of what I buy.

I have plenty of IDM and ambient stuff. My friend has tons of trance and (good) techno CD's, of which I posses copies (we each bought a box set of 8 CD's, and traded burned copies, stuff like that). However, I want some stuff with more bite, and some good Industrial, and maybe some Goth stuff (can't find anything like Gossamer...)

Reguardless, thanks for the info!

----------------

On 6/4/2004 6:36:23 AM Myhamish wrote:

Let's not forget about Luther Wright and the Wrongs and their total remake of 'The Wall' in bluegrass. It's worth a listen.

----------------

In a similar vein, there's The Austin Lounge Lizards version of "Brain Damage" from their "Lizard Vision" CD.

----------------

On 6/4/2004 8:17:28 PM RFinco wrote:

----------------

7.gif

----------------

----------------

There isn't much that sounds as powerful as Industrial Electronic music at loud volume. The list above must include Front 242, even though they've stopped doing new music, bands like VNV Nation cover their stuff very well. Industial Decadance!