Signal Technologies Power Cord

artto

Anyone familiar with Signal Technologies power cord? Is it any good? Whats the MSRP? I can't seem to find anything on it. A guy I'm looking at buying a Music Hall SACD player from wants to through this in on the deal to keep the price up.

I received 2 Signal Cable MagicPower PowerAC Cords last week for my two power amps... the build quality is excellent, and the price is way lower than some of the higher-end power chords. Can I tell a difference? Not sure... I just got these two amps, and I did not have a chance to become familiar with them before plugging in the Signals.

The website is www.signalcable.com Mine arrived within a week.

I've been using one for about 6 months now. It did seem to open up the top end a bit and mellow out the mids some with my old SS amp. Since I used to use that amp crossed over at 90Hz, I don't know what the cable could have for the bass.

I do know that on this Dared amp I'm using for the moment, the bass is very tight and full. Maybe the cable has something to do with it. Who knows?

It is a very well made cable however!! 9.gif

You can kinda see it in this picture.

signal.jpg

Tony, the seller said Signal Technologies. I'm not into this power cord thang (isn't that supposed to be for guitar players? LOL). As you know, I'm an advocate of acoustics first. I just don't have any reference for pricing on this power cord & was wondering what, if anything, anyone else knew about it since the seller seems to think it's worth something & wants to include it in the deal.

I'm well aware that the Music Hall Maverick is made by Shanling in China. Quite frankly, I've heard & read nothing but good things about about it. You're the first one with anything negative to say about it.

The drive mechanism is the same as used in Sony's top of the line SCD-1 $5000 player, it has a Crystal 24/96 upsampling converter for CD, & uses Burr-Brown 24/192 DAC & Sony's top grade decoder chip. These are all top quality components. And with the 'Level I' upgrades from Wally Liderman (Underwood Audio), I seriously doubt that this unit could be considered of "questionable build quality". And it's one of the few SACD players with a volume control (via remote) which allows me to connect the unit directly to the power amps & bypass the preamp/control center. This greatly improves the signal to noise ratio & lifts another veil from the sound.

it is available for $49/unit direct from china...I am sure it is a great sounding unit but I still maintain it will not have the construction quality of the SCD-1 or other high-end players...more power to ya artto; I am sure you will be pleased with the sound, I just wanted to give a heads up on the possible longevity of the unit since I sell these products in central america (I sell shanling, aurum cantus, kursun, spark), all produce good sounding, great looking units but do tend to last slightly less long than a top quality unit...warm regards, tony

----------------

On 6/4/2004 8:40:11 AM artto wrote:

The drive mechanism is the same as used in Sony's top of the line SCD-1 $5000 player, it has a Crystal 24/96 upsampling converter for CD, & uses Burr-Brown 24/192 DAC & Sony's top grade decoder chip. These are all top quality components. And with the 'Level I' upgrades from Wally Liderman (Underwood Audio), I seriously doubt that this unit could be considered of "questionable build quality". And it's one of the few SACD players with a volume control (via remote) which allows me to connect the unit directly to the power amps & bypass the preamp/control center. This greatly improves the signal to noise ratio & lifts another veil from the sound.

----------------

Just so you know, most players under $1000 use a Sony transport.

"Just so you know, most players under $1000 use a Sony transport."

Does that include Tube CD Players?

The $900 Jolida JD-100A tube CD Player used the renowns Phillips CDM 12 Transport which is also used by the more expensive $2,500 Cary Audio CD-308T tube CD Player.

----------------

On 6/4/2004 2:18:46 PM paulparrot wrote:

Art, didn't you say recently you were going to try multichannel? The Music Hall is 2-channel only.

----------------

I was thinking about it. But since I recently bought a HK AV 5.1 reciever for the video system (I guess most nowadays would call it HT, but my setup, even with a 50" Sony front projector is not exactly my idea of "HT". The whole thing is kind of integrated with the living room/dining room area), I think I'm going to wait on adding the rear channels in my listening room. I've belatedly discovered HT & 2 channel are 2 completely different animals. I also feel I would need a larger space with more depth to properly accommodate the rear channels. And besides, as one audio reviewer in the UK who recently reviewed Khorns put it, "The soundstage is so huge and engulfing, its kind of like surround sound, but with only two speakers".

When I first got the HK reciever I hooked it up to the Khorns & Belle to see how well the derived center channel worked with 2 channel & the results were disappointing. The Klipsch 2PH3 center channel circut from the Dope From Hope newsletters using discrete power amps worked much better. Not to mention the sound quality was not even close to the Luxman triodes, as would be expected.

----------------

On 6/4/2004 1:01:36 PM neo33 wrote:

"Just so you know, most players under $1000 use a Sony transport."

Does that include Tube CD Players?

The $900 Jolida JD-100A tube CD Player used the renowns Phillips CDM 12 Transport which is also used by the more expensive $2,500 Cary Audio CD-308T tube CD Player.

----------------

Oops! I meant Phillips, but it's really all the same anyway.

Yes, the CDM 12 is used in the Cary 308 and 308T, but not in the 303/200 and 306/200, both of which are more expensive.